• tourism

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • hunters

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • landowners/farmers

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

Hunter10

Another good article CRC. For some odd reason NC doesn't seem to want elk in Nantahala or Pisgah or South Mountains. Elk in NC would mean freezers filled up with excellent meat.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
One more time........HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT......................

Repeat after me......HAB...........uh............TAT....

Now all together now......HABITAT!!!!!!

Reactions: DRS

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Herd will never survive in WV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should have been surviving across the state line in VA and Ky. for years now and not just surviving but reproducing same exact habitat they first came over from KY years ago before they stocked them. Actually there have been elk sighting in WV near Bradshaw for close to 10 years now, also Ky elk are surviving with an actual hunting season same habitat even got some cow tags now. I should add as long as they don't get poached I know few that would not be happy if they got in their gardens. They may never have a huge population but 15-20 years from now we will be drawing tags for elk in VA WV and NC just like Tenn Ky and Penn. do

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
turkeyfoot,,,I took it he was referring to poaching,,,,the habaitat is fine ,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ky has acres and acres of reclaimed strip mines, much better for grazing type animals, NC doesn't have near the habitat that Ky does.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ky has acres and acres of reclaimed strip mines, much better for grazing type animals, NC doesn't have near the habitat that Ky does.

that is true,,,,I hunted a lot around Williamsburg /Corbin (KY) down to the state line (back in my mis-spent youth),,,,,them strip mines are something else,,,

wandered a lot in the mountains of WV with uncle sam participating and then cadreing an advanced land navigation course,,,,,,WV has them,,,,but not NC - which is good (strip mining is tough) and bad (no rejuvenating woodland),,,,,,

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
True thats why I don't think there will ever be big numbers but I still see some type of draw hunt down line time will tell. I do believe for reason you said they will fare better in Va and WV than here that and less population in those states not much tourism in SW VA mtns or Southern WV area unless your going to church to see the snake handlers. One reason I strongly believe they will do well is growing up we never had deer season in my county but after the strip/surface mining started we now have deer and decent amount If I remember correctly first deer season in my county was 1993

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
turkeyfoot,,,I took it he was referring to poaching,,,,the habaitat is fine ,,,,,,,

Yeah WV sure gets bad rap for it and used to be very true of course some still goes on but take it from someone who grew up in area lot or proud people their that really value their wildlife and the views have changed some over the years to more conservation and I see it getting better even my old man is coming around. All can do is wait and see and hope the poaching isn't bad try to keep educating because Lord knows there are no where near enough Game Wardens to patrol those back hollars

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
If you don't have good enough habitat for white-tails then you dang sure ain't got it for elk. It's pretty simple math that some folks on this board just don't understand…

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that is true,,,,I hunted a lot around Williamsburg /Corbin (KY) down to the state line (back in my mis-spent youth),,,,,them strip mines are something else,,,
Yeah, I have quite a few friends still in the Corbin area. Rampage (my dog) came from there. That is about as rough as I can navigate now. The first elk I ever saw in Ky was in the Hazard area. Most of the locals there that have livestock now hate them.

Those reclaimed strip mines are something. My first dose of unreclaimed ones were in In, you get crossways of them and you have a mess. I got tangled up in one where they were dumping overburden and it had about 15-20 years of briers, honeysuckle and pines on it. Man what a mess. I also got on one in Il that was about 25 years old the same way. I don't think the govt. will let them do that now.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If you don't have good enough habitat for white-tails then you dang sure ain't got it for elk. It's pretty simple math that some folks on this board just don't understand…

Yet the powers that be are still letting the elk herd expand?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yeah WV sure gets bad rap for it and used to be very true of course some still goes on but take it from someone who grew up in area lot or proud people their that really value their wildlife and the views have changed some over the years to more conservation and I see it getting better even my old man is coming around. All can do is wait and see and hope the poaching isn't bad try to keep educating because Lord knows there are no where near enough Game Wardens to patrol those back hollars

I'm with you on that and expect the poaching ain't near as bad as the reputation,,,,meet a lot of great folks in WV

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yeah, I have quite a few friends still in the Corbin area. Rampage (my dog) came from there..

my family hails from there,,,,,up outside of Williamsburg,,,,my dad worked at that first col sanders there in Corbin "back in the day" when there was just one,,,,,

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The poaching was so bad in that part of WV they closed the gun deer season there in 1978 and it has never been reopened.

They also had to restock that area in the early 1990s.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
They should have been surviving across the state line in VA and Ky. for years now and not just surviving but reproducing same exact habitat they first came over from KY years ago before they stocked them. Actually there have been elk sighting in WV near Bradshaw for close to 10 years now, also Ky elk are surviving with an actual hunting season same habitat even got some cow tags now. I should add as long as they don't get poached I know few that would not be happy if they got in their gardens. They may never have a huge population but 15-20 years from now we will be drawing tags for elk in VA WV and NC just like Tenn Ky and Penn. do

My concern is poachers. Born and raised in WV and I know the culture very well!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My concern is poachers. Born and raised in WV and I know the culture very well!

What part you from My wife from Mcdowell county near Bradshaw got some people around War also I'm from just across line in VA

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The poaching was so bad in that part of WV they closed the gun deer season there in 1978 and it has never been reopened.

They also had to restock that area in the early 1990s.

Where you hear that from the main reason for the bow only season is high Mtn hardwoods with lack of browse low deer numbers and that is just certain county not true for most of state northern WV has plenty of grazing land and deer. I will never argue there is no poaching but I can tell you its not like it used to be lot has changed in conservation thinking

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
What part you from My wife from Mcdowell county near Bradshaw got some people around War also I'm from just across line in VA

I am from Elkins in Randolph County. I have family in Summers County also.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Elk in Cherokee

[video=youtube;X4XPH4cMwe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4XPH4cMwe4[/video]

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
9x8 bull elk Cataloochee Valley

[video=youtube;-Cul41cDwM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cul41cDwM8[/video]