9yr Old Daughters First Waterfowl Hunt @ The Skeet

WildBill

Well once again I nor my son got a draw for the skeet. However my 9yr old daughter pulled a youth draw! She's ecstatic! This will be her first waterfowl hunt and first time seeing all the wonders of Hyde county, we can't wait!

Anyone by chance have an old Remington 870 youth 20ga wooden butt stock they want to get rid of? She'll be using her big brothers 870 youth 20ga. but the LOP is a tad long and would love to find a used wooden stock to cut down.

WildBill

@ Cackalack....Awesome, we'll be there. Staying @ the HydeAway. Hope to see you there as well.....@ Snakeskinner 11/27 & 28...LOP needs to be at least an inch shorter than current composite stock. IDK exactly how to measure correctly to tell you the actual inches of LOP. Haven't had a chance to run her by the local gun shop and see if they have a stock to measure LOP. Doing the nose to thumb check she's a good 2-3" apart.

Last edited:

Sawyer205

Six Pointer
Well once again I nor my son got a draw for the skeet. However my 9yr old daughter pulled a youth draw! She's ecstatic! This will be her first waterfowl hunt and first time seeing all the wonders of Hyde county, we can't wait!

Anyone by chance have an old Remington 870 youth 20ga wooden butt stock they want to get rid of? She'll be using her big brothers 870 youth 20ga. but the LOP is a tad long and would love to find a used wooden stock to cut down.

Not trying to hijack:

My son has been drawn as well. The problem I have is even though he has a lifetime license, he has not taken the hunters safety course. I didn't know this was a requirement prior to putting in for the permit. The HSC is at a 6th grade level and he is a fourth grader. So we are scrambling to get him in a course and hope he passes. Permit hunts are new to me and although we are very thankful to have drawn, you would think if its required to have the HSC then it would be a prerequisite prior to applying. Am I the only one with this problem?

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
That will be fun. My oldest son has about another year before im ready to turn him loose with a 20 gauge. I ve never looked at the youth permits, do they use the same blinds as the regular permit hunts? Some are a good haul and could see some kids having a tough time making it to the blind.

WildBill

Not trying to hijack:

My son has been drawn as well. The problem I have is even though he has a lifetime license, he has not taken the hunters safety course. I didn't know this was a requirement prior to putting in for the permit. The HSC is at a 6th grade level and he is a fourth grader. So we are scrambling to get him in a course and hope he passes. Permit hunts are new to me and although we are very thankful to have drawn, you would think if its required to have the HSC then it would be a prerequisite prior to applying. Am I the only one with this problem?

Same issue here and yet I knew that just didn't register in my mind at the time I entered her. She's also in 4th grade and I have her signed up for classes next Mon & Tues night. In the event she doesn't pass we'll proceed to study the online courses and try again Nov 14th and should be able to pass it then. My son passed with a 95 @ age 10.

Here's a link to online you can do as many times as needed and it's free. If they pass the online then you pay and have to find a field class (2hr) to get certification and my problem was none of those were available in my area.

http://www2.huntercourse.com/northcarolina/study

Last edited:

WildBill

That will be fun. My oldest son has about another year before im ready to turn him loose with a 20 gauge. I ve never looked at the youth permits, do they use the same blinds as the regular permit hunts? Some are a good haul and could see some kids having a tough time making it to the blind.

Yes they use the same blinds and yes some are a good haul for sure!

WildBill

skydog

Not trying to hijack:

Do they check for hunters safety when you show up for the hunt? I would be kind of surprised if they went through the trouble of doing that at o'dark thirty after he's already been drawn for it but I have no idea. I'm not suggesting you don't go ahead and still get him his HS, I would just think in this case you'd be fine if you can't get it done before the hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildBill

Do they check for hunters safety when you show up for the hunt? I would be kind of surprised if they went through the trouble of doing that at o'dark thirty after he's already been drawn for it but I have no idea. I'm not suggesting you don't go ahead and still get him his HS, I would just think in this case you'd be fine if you can't get it done before the hunt.

I called down there and asked them and was told they had to show proof at check in. Long way to travel (at least for me it is) to have a little one turned down at the gate and not allowed to hunt. Good way to ruin their day.

skydog

I called down there and asked them and was told they had to show proof at check in. Long way to travel (at least for me it is) to have a little one turned down at the gate and not allowed to hunt. Good way to ruin their day.

Yep I hear yea. Like was already said, if they're going to be like that then they should really check for HS before they do the drawing, but once the drawing happens, just let the kids hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sawyer205

Six Pointer
Yep I hear yea. Like was already said, if they're going to be like that then they should really check for HS before they do the drawing, but once the drawing happens, just let the kids hunt.

My thoughts exactly!

When I called earlier this week the guy I spoke to kinda made it sound like this was the first year for the HSC requirement??

Last edited:

WildBill

My thoughts exactly!

When I called earlier this week the guy I spoke to kinda made it sound like this was the first year for the HSC requirement??

If memory serves me correct any permit hunts have always required HSC training, hence what prompted me to get my now 18yr old son certified when he was 10. As said "if memory serves me correct" though and my memory is about as long as my pecker.

Cackalack Calls

Button Buck
We have drawn this hunt in the past. They will check. Had the same issue with my boy when he was 9yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not trying to hijack:

He will probably be ok. My cousin's girl passed it at 8 years old. The instructor allowed the questions verbally.

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
Just so y'all know, it is on Page 4 of the Special Hunt booklet

"Youth Hunt (National Wildlife Refuge)
• Youth must be less than 16 years of age on the day of the hunt.
• Hunter Education Certification is required for youth participating in refuge permit hunting
opportunities.
• Youth must be accompanied by a properly licensed adult at least 21 years of age. The adult
is not allowed to hunt and does not need a permit. The adult must remain within sight and
easy voice contact of the young hunter at all times."

I think it all depends on the kid as far as when they can pass the course. I am an instructor and I have had middle school kids struggle yet seen younger kids have no issues. I think it all depends on the kid. I had to go through the same thing when my nephew was drawn at age 9. It is not a new requirement and yes they will check.

Good luck and I hope your kids all pass!

Last edited:

WildBill

Well, Kyela passed her hunter safety class last night so we're officially legal and Hyde county bound for Thanksgiving weekend! She was the youngest in the class and did as daddy told her and paid close attention and participated when called on and though the verbiage on some of the test questions were a little tough she took her time and passed. Even had one of her cheer teammates take the course with her so it wasn't so intimidating being a girl and so young in a class of mostly late teen to early 20's male students. Super proud of her!

Sawyer205

Six Pointer
Well, Kyela passed her hunter safety class last night so we're officially legal and Hyde county bound for Thanksgiving weekend! She was the youngest in the class and did as daddy told her and paid close attention and participated when called on and though the verbiage on some of the test questions were a little tough she took her time and passed. Even had one of her cheer teammates take the course with her so it wasn't so intimidating being a girl and so young in a class of mostly late teen to early 20's male students. Super proud of her!

Congrats!

Jsmith62198

Good job