10/08/2015 Pilot Mountain Sunrise Pics

Hey guys and gals, I took a random trip up to Pilot Mountain State Park this morning. All I had with me was my cell phone, but, I think the pics come out looking pretty good. Let me know what y'all think. Have a good one.

This one's my personal favorite. I think it's really cool how you can see the mist floating along the river.

Last edited:
Speaking of the rain, there were a ton of downed trees on some of the trails. If you ventured off of the switchbacks, it was pretty darn muddy, even at that elevation. Those folks have their work cut out for 'em.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. You know, for what time of year it is, I was expecting a lot more color in the trees up there. There were more trees changing in the lower elevations, but up near the summit, everything was still pretty much green.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I've always wanted to get up that way. I love seeing that mountain when I drive to Indiana - always afriad I'm going to wreck while trying to look at the mountain. Didn't know you can get to the top.

It's definitely worth the drive. Luckily for me, it's only about 45 minutes away. Both Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock state park are both fairly close to me, so I try to get up to both of them whenever I can. For me, personally, if your looking for some "serious" hiking, Hanging Rock is the place to go if you live near it, but, for a nice drive and some great views, Pilot Mountain is the best. I mean, heck, you basically drive to the top of the mountain! If I remember correctly, you can actually put in for a climbers permit and scale the peak. I'v never done it, but it sure looks fun. If your looking for one hell of a view, you have to hike the Moore's Knob trail in Hanging Rock. It's a pretty good hike, but it's well worth it. When you reach the top, there's an old brick fireman's tower, which you can walk up on. On a clear day, the views from up there are stunning. If memory serves, it's the highest peak in the triad's Sauratown Mountains at 2,579'. Pilot Knob stands at 2,421'. Both offer some great hikes and views.

Just a fun fact, the US GOV states that when a hill can be classified as a mountain, it's peak must reach an elevation of at least 2000 FT. above sea level for it's area. So, with that said, most of the "mountains" that make up the Sauratown Mountains are technically very big hills.

I've always wanted to get up that way. I love seeing that mountain when I drive to Indiana - always afriad I'm going to wreck while trying to look at the mountain. Didn't know you can get to the top.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. There were a couple of people with cameras on a tripod set up on one of the overlooks. I just wish I had a similar set up. But, when in doubt, an 8MP pic from a cell phone is better than no pic at all.

Thanks aya!

Gotta love the pics a cellphone is capable of nowadays. Very nice shots!

Last edited: