Squirrel season is about to start. Are you ready?

toothless

I'm ready. I have a new rifle I have it bore sighted but haven't put it on papar yet. I still gotta do that then I'm ready

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Me and the old Rossi pump are ready to roll. My favorite season of the year

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, and with that comes coon, I can't wait. I hate dealing with the leaves. I even have several deer hunters that have already called that traditionally have wanted me to wait to after the first of the year say come on and kill 'em, I don't believe it bothers the deer. I kept my cameras up last year and would see them in there no time after I would have pics of you or your dogs.

I really don't like killing them this early because their hides aren't worth a crap but they aren't worth much anyway. I given them to a young boy that just started trapping and he is on fire, he said whatever he gets is better than nothing so I am gonna fix him up.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Probably a stupid question I didn't see the answer for quickly in the regs.

Can you carry a gun for squirrels at the same time you are carrying a bow for Central deer archery season? Or do you have to carry just one weapon and choose what you are going to hunt?

toothless

Opens Oct 12. I don't know the answer to the other question......

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
Probably a stupid question I didn't see the answer for quickly in the regs.

Can you carry a gun for squirrels at the same time you are carrying a bow for Central deer archery season? Or do you have to carry just one weapon and choose what you are going to hunt?

Call wildlife and ask. They are usually very good about getting back to people.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Carry a 22 pistol with a barrel shorter than 7.5"?

Legal for both dispatch of a wounded deer and hunting squirrels?

Only commenting since I'd like to know the answer too...

chef

Ten Pointer
i had a guy tell me he waits until after the first cold snap to make sure the squirrels don't have some sort of cysts or something. anyone know what he is referring to?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i had a guy tell me he waits until after the first cold snap to make sure the squirrels don't have some sort of cysts or something. anyone know what he is referring to?
He is talking about bot fly larvae, some call them wolves. Frost has nothing to do with them being in the squirrel, they are under the skin and it doesn't frost under the hide. LMAO

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Saw a couple in the yard yesterday that had wolves on them. Don't hurt anything. It is just under the skin and doesn't effect the meat. I really dislike it when people kill a squirrel and then discard it because it has a wolf in it. Just looks strange. The wolf stays with the skin when you clean the squirrel.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer

Yeah, apparently the squirrels leave their nice 80 degree nest for the first frost to kill the warbles. Doesn't make much sense, does it? Most warbles are gone about the same time of year as the first frost.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have removed a bunch of them from goats and cattle but had a first this year. Had one of those nasty devils in one of my dogs, luckily it was no big deal, shaved the area, disinfect, sharp scalpel and out it came. Cleaned it out good and put in a drain and two stitches and it healed right up. I had the dog at my vet about 6 weeks later for a rabies shot and asked him about it, he said it wasn't uncommon at all.

Chad

Four Pointer
My squirrel dog has gotten too old to hunt but man do I miss it. I got her when I was 9 years old and we hunted her until 2 years ago. She is 16 now and still kickin, just too old to hunt. I haven't been since. No one I know around here squirrel hunts. They dont want anyone shooting in their "deer woods"

odie408

Ten Pointer
I like to squirrel hunt too, the small animals are much easier to carry out and there is none better than squirrel gravy. I miss my grandma's fried squirrel,gravy and cat head biscuits.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I have never outgrown my love of squirrel hunting and am looking forward to Monday. Squirrel populations here in the mountains on national forest lands run in cycles. About four years ago we had a total failure of the hard mast crop around here and then a couple of years with very little mast that put a real dent in the squirrels, but with last year's bumper crop the squirrel population has really responded. I picked up a Marlin 81 22lr that was manufactured between 1939 and 1941 that was very lightly used. I installed a Williams peep sight with a new front sight and I am looking forward to hunting with a gun that's over 70 years old.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I love to hunt squirrels. All different ways too...
Adder points with the bow.
Long range (respectively) with the .17
and I have really gotten into shooting with my MK-III target 22.

Just gives me more chances to be in the woods. And on top of that, they eat good too......

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have never outgrown my love of squirrel hunting and am looking forward to Monday. Squirrel populations here in the mountains on national forest lands run in cycles. About four years ago we had a total failure of the hard mast crop around here and then a couple of years with very little mast that put a real dent in the squirrels, but with last year's bumper crop the squirrel population has really responded. I picked up a Marlin 81 22lr that was manufactured between 1939 and 1941 that was very lightly used. I installed a Williams peep sight with a new front sight and I am looking forward to hunting with a gun that's over 70 years old.

I just picked up yet another one of those in June. I can't pass 'em up if they are nice. Most will outshoot rifles costing 10X what they are worth today, notwithstanding what they cost originally.

Lee

Six Pointer
I am going to try airgun squirrel hunting this year. The Marauder will hold a 1/10" group per 10 yards. If I miss it is me. I might keep it in the deer stand too.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am going to try airgun squirrel hunting this year. The Marauder will hold a 1/10" group per 10 yards. If I miss it is me. I might keep it in the deer stand too.
It will kill 'em I have a .25, but man they are heavy.