****UPDATE on Dthbyhoyt****

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
Guys,
I want to let you know a little bit about what is going on. Glockmaster and a friend are bringing David's truck and camper back from Ohio tonight, and I will be meeting with the family tomorrow to make the funeral arrangements. As soon as I find out the arrangements, I will post them here. Crumpled Funeral Home in Raeford will be caring for the family. If you have any cards, flowers, or gifts, you can contact me at the funeral home where I work, on here via PM, or send them directly to the address listed below. David leaves behind a wife, an older son, Daniel, and two small children, Emily and Ethan. As I mentioned before, when I know more details I will post them here. As I mentioned before, I will be meeting with the family tomorrow and will be coordinating with officials in Ohio on bringing David Home.

Please mail and gifts, cards, flowers, etc.
David Riley
C/O Crumpler Funeral Home
131 Harris Ave
Raeford, NC 28376

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Thanks for posting this Mathews. I hope some folks will take time to send a card to the family expressing how well respected David was here.

GLOCKMASTER

Eight Pointer
Guys,
I want to let you know a little bit about what is going on. Glockmaster and a friend are bringing David's truck and camper back from Ohio tonight, and I will be meeting with the family tomorrow to make the funeral arrangements. As soon as I find out the arrangements, I will post them here. Crumpled Funeral Home in Raeford will be caring for the family. If you have any cards, flowers, or gifts, you can contact me at the funeral home where I work, on here via PM, or send them directly to the address listed below. David leaves behind a wife, an older son, Daniel, and two small children, Emily and Ethan. As I mentioned before, when I know more details I will post them here. As I mentioned before, I will be meeting with the family tomorrow and will be coordinating with officials in Ohio on bringing David Home.

Please mail and gifts, cards, flowers, etc.
David Riley
C/O Crumpler Funeral Home
131 Harris Ave
Raeford, NC 28376

Thank you for posting this and thank you for taking care of the family during this difficult time.

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
As of now I am still trying to coordinate a date with a funeral home in Ohio on when David will be back home. Once I know when he will be back then I will post his arrangements.

On a side note, David has two small children. I talked with Alton Godwin at Godwins archery about having an annual bow shooting tournament in David memory with the proceeds going in a trust fund for his children. David's birthday is February 12, and we are going to have the first tournament Saturday February 13th. Please keep this date and come and support the family of David Riley.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
As of now I am still trying to coordinate a date with a funeral home in Ohio on when David will be back home. Once I know when he will be back then I will post his arrangements.

On a side note, David has two small children. I talked with Alton Godwin at Godwins archery about having an annual bow shooting tournament in David memory with the proceeds going in a trust fund for his children. David's birthday is February 12, and we are going to have the first tournament Saturday February 13th. Please keep this date and come and support the family of David Riley.

Good idea,,,,I'll stop by and talk with ALton,,,,see where I can help,,,,thanks Sir

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
Awesome, Thanks Tipmoose.
As of 4:30 this afternoon, I spoke with the funeral home in Ohio and I am waiting to hear directly from them when they will be able to get a burial transit permit as required by law. Because David died in Ohio, as you can imagine it is a logistical nightmare. Thus is the reason it is taking so long to make arrangements. I should know something tomorrow around noon when we can bring David Home.

For those of you that do not personally know David I am including his picture so that you can put a face with the name.
David Riley.jpg

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
I've never met the guy but I have enjoyed reading and following his posts.
Sad to hear. What happened?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I can't imagine what frustrations are involved in what happened here and trying to make commitments back in NC. Let patience dictate.

I appreciate the heads up on where to send what $. Will keep that in mind and try to use that info. Thank you for posting it and for making it a sticky.

Last edited:

captncurt

I joined this forum just to express to you guys how cool it was to see all of you guys showing love for David and having a caring heart for him simply from your interactions with him on this site. Me and Dave were good friends from work since 2007 and lived near each other. Everything you guys sensed from him on these forums is definitely true to his personality. He was a real cool guy and it deeply saddens me to see him leave so soon, especially with his wife and 2 little kids to grow up without him, he also has a grown son as well. Damn, I was just thinking this past Monday about swinging by his house to say what Dave! Anyway Dave will be missed and I wish the best for the family.

Last edited:

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
Mathews Archer - when it gets closer to the tournament, contact me and I will donate some paracord stuff.

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
Everyone, I have attached a link to David's obituary. Please leave your condolences for his wife. You may order flowers if you choose directly from the website.

http://www.crumplerfuneralhome.com/notices/David-Riley

Mr. David Lee Riley of Raeford died Thursday, October 29, 2015 at the age of 53.

David was born in Cumberland County on February 12, 1962 to John William Riley and Jesse Tew Riley. Many adjectives could describe David. He was a loving husband, father, and friend to all that knew him. An avid bow hunter and outdoorsman, David impacted many people during his life. He proudly served in the U.S. Army and was retired from the U.S. Postal Service. David was preceded in death by his brother, Alvin Riley.

He is survived by his wife, Anita Sampson Riley; his daughter, Emily Paige Riley; his sons, Ethan Hoyt Riley, all of Raeford, and Daniel Lee Riley of Fayetteville; his father, John William Riley, Sr. of Davis Bridge; his mother, Jesse Tew Riley of Raeford; his sister, Lynn Riley Carson (Lewis) of Colorado Springs, CO; his brother, John William Riley, Jr (Jan) of Davis Bridge; his grandchildren, Hannah and Noah; and many aunts, uncles, and cousins.

The family will receive friends between 7-9pm, Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at Crumpler Funeral Home, 131 Harris Ave, Raeford, NC.

Funeral services will begin at 2 pm, Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at Raeford Evangelical Methodist Church, 379 W. Palmer Ave, Raeford, NC with military honors following the service.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hate to hear that about him. I always enjoyed his posts. We never know when the Lord is going to come calling.

Hawkeye

Ten Pointer
I had not been on the site in a few days so I was late hearing about this from Moose. My thoughts and prayers will be with the family.

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
David is finally back from Ohio. It was one of the hardest trips I've ever had to make. It was a long teary ride back to Hoke County but we made it.
The family wanted me to extend their appreciation for the cards they received. They were in amazement with how people who never even met David took time to express their sympathy.

Last edited:

DWATT

Six Pointer
My thoughts and prayers go out to David's family. I didn't know him personally, but we did share one thing and that was the love of the great outdoors. may he rest in peace.