white perch

omar252

I am trying to get on some good white perch fishing, Anybody know of spots were the biting at now?

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely....the Pamlico is full of them. Buy a few of the small rattle traps and hit the creeks....goose creek/Neville creek/blounts creek/broad creek/chocowinity bay.

drq

anywhere close to Charlotte good for white perch fishing from shore? i.e. without boat

omar252

Absolutely....the Pamlico is full of them. Buy a few of the small rattle traps and hit the creeks....goose creek/Neville creek/blounts creek/broad creek/chocowinity bay.

Took you advice... Killed them in blounts creek

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
^nice! Glad you found them....alot of fun to catch and excellent eating.

Going Saturday to find a few stripers, then going after the WP!

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anywhere along the lake/river shore?
From the bank, find the influx of a creek. If you are in a boat do the same or find a gravel or sand bar and fish right on the edge. They may be on the shallow or deep depending on time of day.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
From the bank, find the influx of a creek. If you are in a boat do the same or find a gravel or sand bar and fish right on the edge. They may be on the shallow or deep depending on time of day.

^^^95% of the white perch I've caught on the Yadkin were at the creek influx, or up in the creeks themselves if they were deeper than about 12"

Summertime though...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, they appear to like those creeks, especially in the summer when the creek temps are cooler than the river temps.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
I'd like to take my Pop fishing for white perch. He is 76 and hasn't been fishing in several years. He had 2 open heart surgeries in May within a span of 6 days. He's not real strong, still recuperating. He asked me to take him fishing this coming weekend. Will probably need to bottom fish as his ability to cast is near zero.
You guys think we can catch them bottom fishing?
Any advice would be great. We are in Greenville, NC. 30 minutes from Pamlico/Washington area. PM me if necessary. Thanks!!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
anywhere close to Charlotte good for white perch fishing from shore? i.e. without boat

Highway 27 where it crosses the upper end of Wylie into Mt. Holly is a boat landing and where Dutchman's Creek dumps into the lake. That has always been a good producer for perch but I don't know if there is anywhere to bank fish. I'll check with my Lake Wylie expert and get back to you.

My Wylie buddy says the perch don't go into Dutchman's until March/April, but they were biting good out in the lake on humps until about two weeks ago when the lake got muddy in the upper end. As soon as the water clears some it should pick up but he said you wouldn't have much luck fishing from the bank. He said he had a flathead on the other day that was 5' long, had him on the line for an hour and a half before he got him up by the boat but didn't have his gaff with him and had to cut him loose. Some might question that 5' estimate, but this guy isn't given to exaggeration.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What what was he spooled with to have the fish on an hour and a half 10# test? I have caught a 68# flathead and 70# blue and neither was on 20 mins. A 5' flat this time of year with it just have piled on weight for winter most likely would have been a state record. Glad it got off if he was going to gaff it.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Big flatheads up by my house above Dutchmans it seems. 2-week window in March I hear is the time to catch lots of big white perch when they run up to the tail race below Mountain Island, I've only caught them in April in Dutchmans by accident. I know they've been catching them on sabiki rigs in Norman and Mountain Island, can't remember if any of the pics I saw came from the upper end of Wylie or not. You can fish from the bank at Bobby's, the little boat landing below the hwy 27 bridge.

Last edited:

Strut&Rut

Four Pointer
Go to harris lake ive been catching them over a pound there lately they put up a good fight on light tackle and are real good to eat. The lake is getting overrun with them.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
What what was he spooled with to have the fish on an hour and a half 10# test? I have caught a 68# flathead and 70# blue and neither was on 20 mins. A 5' flat this time of year with it just have piled on weight for winter most likely would have been a state record. Glad it got off if he was going to gaff it.

He said he had 12lb. on and had him up by the boat for 20 minutes of that time. I think he was just having fun holding onto that hoss. I don't think he'd have tried to boat him even if he had his gaff. He's primarily a bass and crappie nut. Said he followed him all over the place until he started working him up. Last big one I hooked in Wylie drug me and my granddaughter in my 11' bream boat about 150 yards down a cove before making a surge and straightening out a #2 hook like a piece of wire. I've picked up some awfully big signal traces on a fishfinder out in front of the Siemens building where W. Shopton Rd. crosses a cove, so I know there are some big fish in there. I can't remember the name of the cove.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

you mean these bass tales of a 30 minute fight are BS? :)