Electric fillet knife

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
never had one, but wife wants to get me one for christmas......whats the best one to get without breaking the bank? I heard some folks say they get hot to handle if you clean so many fish.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have a rapala but honestly, unless your filtering fish with thick rib bones, the $10 Hamilton beach electric knife is just as good as the ones designed for fish. Ergonomically speaking, I like the Hamilton beach better than the rapala. Just fits my hands better.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^^^^ sound advise. The cordless are crap. Just buy a corded and forget it, they do a much better job. All are double insulated and if you are really scared make sure you have them hooked to a GFI.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I have one and never think about taking it out, the Bubba Blade will rake em and stake em.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tell you when you get a live well full of crappie, you fillet them down the back leave a hinge and flip 'em over and fillet 'em right out of the hide. I have long been sold on electric.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I supply 3 different agencies with bait for lake sturgeon sampling. I have broke two mister twister brand electric knives. Try filleting 30-40 carp and buffalo at a time and you will see what your electric knife is made of. But to be fair, some have rib bones as thick as a pencil. On got hot and just died and the other will still run, but the blades don't move. Don't laugh, but the best thing I found for big fish is a sawzall with a 12" metal cutting blade. I use that to fillet the fish then use electric knife to separate skin.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Gander Mountain has the Rapala corded combo on sale for $34.99, normally $59.99. The combo includes a standard manual knife and the electric. They also have the Rapala cordless for $39.99.

Last edited:

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
what darkthirty said, a cheap electric knife will work as well as my $40 Rapala