Spent a Week Hunting with my Favorite Hunter partner

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spent a Week Hunting with my Favorite Hunting partner Free Deer Part 2

My granddaughter Skylar and I just returned from a week at deer camp. We were sitting in the house about 7:30 one night and heard a really close gunshot. We grabbed pistols and flashlights and headed out the door flipping the porch light on as we went out. A light colored car took off from in front of the house. We shined out light and saw a deer lying at the gate. Poachers, scum of the earth in my book. We saw this was a buck we were trying to harvest because he had been passing his single antler on to younger deer we have on camera. I call the Wildlife Violation hotline and speak with a lady. She seemed pretty clueless and I told her I was going to drag the deer behind my gate and hoped the #$%%#$%# came after it. "Don't touch that deer" she said. She said, that someone would call me back. So, ten minutes or so later a Enforcement officer calls me back, in the meantime the poachers had pulled up to another intersection up the road and stopped, the car had a loud muffler like the poachers. So, the enforcement officer asked if I had gotten a license plate number and all that. We of course didn't have time to do that. I told him I knew there wasn't anything they could do based on what we knew. He said that is true, and I don't have an officer within two counties of you. He said not to let the deer go to waste. I told him I wouldn't, so we drug the buck to the skinning barn and went to work. It's a darn shame, we had that buck on camera for three years and so scum poacher kills him illegal. Not sure what they were shooting but it sounded like a cannon, but the very small entrance hole took out his jugular. He was a big bodied buck...7 points 17" spread.

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Treein, no, the buck won't score much of anything, especially P&Y since it wasn't fair chase with archery.

That's a shame that he was poached but glad you were able to at least keep it. They'll keep poaching and I hope their luck runs out...quick.

Last edited:

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nothing that I could see....but on another section of land, I have another buck the same with a straight point of his left side. That one's right hip is messed up...where the left one is full and filled out nice..the right one is sitting high and that leg is bony compared to the other side. He is another we wanted to take out.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
You know you have a poacher in your area. I think I might try to have the Game Warden set up one of their Robo deer to see if the scum bags will try to shoot it also.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Larry I have a perfect place that is small two acre garden spot in secluded area beside the road. You'd could catch them quick. The game warden mentioned setting the deer up and I quickly agreed. He was supposed to call me the next day but never did. I saved his number and am giving him a call this week.