Construction guys

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Small question about the textured popcorn ceilings. Is it easier to trowel this stuff on then roll to my liking? I've tried Wooster 3/8" and 3/4" nap rollers and it is hit or miss. Trying my best not to spray it as I'll have to empty the bathroom which is full of wife's junk.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't use popcorn ceiling if you can do ANYTHING else.
Stippled is better, and better looking too.
If you ever sell, popcorn is a sticking point..people hate it.

moosemike

Drywall finisher for 20 years and I hate popcorn. It should be sprayed but I much prefer a knockdown texture.

moosemike

I do remember years ago my dad would trowel it on and he had a popcorn blower with a crank handle. It would turn out good too, if you like popcorn.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
My house has popcorn ceilings and I hate it. I need to paint mine also but didn't wanna have to spray.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Unfortionatly for textured ceiling spraying gives the best results. If it's a small bathroom you might could scrape it off and paint. Only thing is the joints and nail heads probably won't be finished to a paint level. More than likely you'd have to skim and sand then paint. If you decide to scrape it take a sponge and lightly wet the texture or mist it with garden sprayer before scraping. It comes off easier when wet.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortionatly for textured ceiling spraying gives the best results. If it's a small bathroom you might could scrape it off and paint. Only thing is the joints and nail heads probably won't be finished to a paint level. More than likely you'd have to skim and sand then paint. If you decide to scrape it take a sponge and lightly wet the texture or mist it with garden sprayer before scraping. It comes off easier when wet.
Yeah I have scraped part of it. It's a double wide and they seem to put crappy skylights in them. All ready removed shingles skylight and replaced with new wood and shingles. Had to patch a spot 6'x30". Trying to just do this small section and not whole ceiling.

straightline

Ten Pointer
They sell a gun/kit at Lowes that would do what you need. I had to repair some rentals and ended up buying one. Pretty cheap and worked perfect.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
There is a roller nap for small areas, but it's hard to get the texture just right with it. Spray on is by far the best avenue.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have it too and am not looking forward to the day I get rid of it. Maybe it will come back in style.

My neighbor had a small room, 20x20 maybe, with popcorn ceiling and he decided just to sheetrock over it and it turned out really well. Unfortunatly I have alot in my home and that aint gonna work for me.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remodeled my 1964 home in Florida and it had popcorn ceilings in a few rooms. I took a scraper blade on a pole and scraped every kernel of that mess off the ceiling, sanded it to fairly smooth, then used a rough texture roller to paint the ceilings with a thick ceiling paint.
It gave it a slight orange peel texture that looked really nice and hid all the poorly finished sheetrock.
I had a mask on but still had to quit many times to let that dust clear. Goggles are an absolute must have when doing this kind of work.