Cougar....

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Yes it pays to learn their sounds in case you want to try and "grunt one in". Mine was making warning sounds. Low deep growl. I figured I'd go into work early. Lol

Edited,,,,Didn't mean to quote myself......

Last edited:

Harpoon

Has anyone looked at the link? Its in Tennessee...

Yes, I read the article once I opened it.

Migrating East...(nothing new there)......might be released pet...photo appears to be authentic.

Arkansas has them confirmed, so TN isnt that big of a stretch.

Getting closer to NC though....!

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
About 15 or 20 years ago was bow hunting early November morning in Chatham Co. NC...up near Sharon Lake dam...on side of steep ridge and it was cold enough for breath to blow....about daylight a huge doe came bounding down the ridge about 20 yards out...jumped small creek and up ridge on my side. She stopped all of a sudden and looked in direction she had just come. There came 2 black panthers bounding down other side of creek toward the doe....I mean huge....had to be 5 ft long at least and couple hundred lbs I would guess....had long tails and big heads...soon as they hit the creek I think they caught my wind because they made a sharp right turn and down the creek side no more than 10 yds from me....gone in an instant. Will never forget that....ever since been little scared walking in the dark up there.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
About 15 or 20 years ago was bow hunting early November morning in Chatham Co. NC...up near Sharon Lake dam...on side of steep ridge and it was cold enough for breath to blow....about daylight a huge doe came bounding down the ridge about 20 yards out...jumped small creek and up ridge on my side. She stopped all of a sudden and looked in direction she had just come. There came 2 black panthers bounding down other side of creek toward the doe....I mean huge....had to be 5 ft long at least and couple hundred lbs I would guess....had long tails and big heads...soon as they hit the creek I think they caught my wind because they made a sharp right turn and down the creek side no more than 10 yds from me....gone in an instant. Will never forget that....ever since been little scared walking in the dark up there.

I didn't know until someone on here said (Mobucks maybe), but there is no such thing as a black panther...

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't know until someone on here said (Mobucks maybe), but there is no such thing as a black panther...

There has never been a documented case of a black panther. Leopard or Jaguar, Never a black cougar(although this can send this thread in a whole new direction!)

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I saw a big foot in Alamance county.

Some people are gullible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
The video is on tndeer. According to some posts on there today TWRA went out today and looked over the site where the guy had his camera.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
What do you call a big cat that looks like a cougar and is solid black head to tail....black cougar?....have heard term panthers all my life and know these two were black as ace of spades.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Some people are gullible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How so?
The one in the link is pretty cut and dry proof. Mo and ark both have them. Why would middle TN be that far of a stretch?

I've never seen one in NC but have heard stories. Some were laughable and some were what I believe to be genuine. I know of one area in ellerbe that landowner swore up and down he saw one. Didn't put much stock in it till one day while rabbit hunting we found a goat skeleton 30' up in a forked poplar. I'm not gonna say what did it, I don't know. But I do know what I saw and know no bobcat or any other predator we are used to in this state is capable of dragging a 70lb goat up a slick @$$ poplar tree.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I knew a guy back in 1992 who was seriously looking for someone to take over a grown up mountain lion that he got as a cub. He told me that he didn't want to turn it loose in uwharrie but he would if he had to. I did some calling around and found out that you couldn't give one of those things away.....

ChasinTrophies

There used to be an exotic animal rescue place near the holleman boat ramp. They took in several big cats that people had as pets. Supposedly they had a couple escape. No idea what species. That's all hear say, but the story goes they came back and were caught again after several weeks being in the wild.

Last edited:

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I work with a guy that was hunting close to the Aloha zoo in Olivia. He was on a ladder stand and heard something making god awful racket coming towards him. He gets his gun up and ready just in case. About 20 seconds go by and out steps a EMU. He called zoo and they caught it. I get tears ever time he tells the story!