Cougar....

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
About 15 or 20 years ago was bow hunting early November morning in Chatham Co. NC...up near Sharon Lake dam...on side of steep ridge and it was cold enough for breath to blow....about daylight a huge doe came bounding down the ridge about 20 yards out...jumped small creek and up ridge on my side. She stopped all of a sudden and looked in direction she had just come. There came 2 black panthers bounding down other side of creek toward the doe....I mean huge....had to be 5 ft long at least and couple hundred lbs I would guess....had long tails and big heads...soon as they hit the creek I think they caught my wind because they made a sharp right turn and down the creek side no more than 10 yds from me....gone in an instant. Will never forget that....ever since been little scared walking in the dark up there.

My dad saw one in the same area in the same time period. He watched it cross the 42 highway with a pair of binoculars. He said the body and tail was nearly a travel lane width long. It was jet black and said it moved so fluid.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
It wouldn't surprise me to see a panther/cougar/mountain lion any where, as the young males will wander for hundreds of miles sometimes. It would surprise me to see a black one though, because they don't exist. There has never, ever, in hundreds of years of people living in North America, been a confirmed black one. Seems like in all that time, someone would have shot, caught, or run over one. But, they haven't. Even though people see them every day. :) I know quite a few people who have never seen a bobcat, mink, weasel, or other fairly common animals that swear they have seen two or three "black panthers."

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
How so?
The one in the link is pretty cut and dry proof. Mo and ark both have them. Why would middle TN be that far of a stretch?

I've never seen one in NC but have heard stories. Some were laughable and some were what I believe to be genuine. I know of one area in ellerbe that landowner swore up and down he saw one. Didn't put much stock in it till one day while rabbit hunting we found a goat skeleton 30' up in a forked poplar. I'm not gonna say what did it, I don't know. But I do know what I saw and know no bobcat or any other predator we are used to in this state is capable of dragging a 70lb goat up a slick @$$ poplar tree.

You read it on the internet so it has to be true. Absolutely no verifiable proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You guys crack me up...........

giggles.gif

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Not the first verified in TN.....one was shot there back in the 90's??? some up in Virginia. one shot in Ga verified as a wild one a few years back . dont laugh as they are here. i think the longest one has dispersed was 800 miles and 400 miles isnt uncommon.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
You read it on the internet so it has to be true. Absolutely no verifiable proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm yes there is. TWRA verified it by visiting location and said it was legit. Not sure how much more "verifiable proof" you need?!?!

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
What do you call a big cat that looks like a cougar and is solid black head to tail....black cougar?....have heard term panthers all my life and know these two were black as ace of spades.

I always laugh when I see post like this. Not only has there never been a documented case of a melonistic cougar, even in captive beading. But wait, you saw 2 black ones, in NC, hunting together. Amazing!!
I'm getting back on my Unicorn and flying home now.
:0

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
My dad saw one in the same area in the same time period. He watched it cross the 42 highway with a pair of binoculars. He said the body and tail was nearly a travel lane width long. It was jet black and said it moved so fluid.
Have heard of another siting by a hunter in that same area...been many years ago but sometime around same time line as when I saw these 2. Yea, the 2 I saw were body and tail were real long and came bounding down that ridge just touching ground in long strides...one behind the other. All happened in few seconds...like something in a movie. Have never heard of any in captivity in that area though.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
For you guys that find an aggressive "cougar" in your bed. Only one solution, just gotta feed them the right kind of meat and they will stop being so aggressive. Often helps if you feed them twice a day as the often have a vivacious appetite.

At least that has been my experience.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For you guys that find an aggressive "cougar" in your bed. Only one solution, just gotta feed them the right kind of meat and they will stop being so aggressive. Often helps if you feed them twice a day as the often have a vivacious appetite.

Dont appease them. Thats for romance novels and hallmark channel. Knock em over the head with it and let them know who the boss is. Let them know when to purr.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer

tube steak.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Have heard of another siting by a hunter in that same area...been many years ago but sometime around same time line as when I saw these 2. Yea, the 2 I saw were body and tail were real long and came bounding down that ridge just touching ground in long strides...one behind the other. All happened in few seconds...like something in a movie. Have never heard of any in captivity in that area though.

I knew of another siting as well. This one was of a standard cougar, not black. It was really close to the area you speak of. When a woodsman and Christian man of over 70 years tells you he saw a mountain lion, I have no reason to doubt.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I live in Greensboro. In the city cycling Google email list a guy posted today that he was riding his bike home last night on the greenway in the city about 9pm and a cougar crossed six feet in front of him. This happened near Guilford battleground park, right by southern foods. He had lights on his bike and his helmet and says he got a really good look at it.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I live in Greensboro. In the city cycling Google email list a guy posted today that he was riding his bike home last night on the greenway in the city about 9pm and a cougar crossed six feet in front of him. This happened near Guilford battleground park, right by southern foods. He had lights on his bike and his helmet and says he got a really good look at it.

What kind of yoga pants was she wearing. I bet he had a Pumpkin spice latte too, that'll bring em from miles around.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Saw one behind the liquor store last week....he was playing domino's with a wolf rat....think he was losing.....cause he looked angry.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Lol....yes!!! Wasn't sure anyone remembered that deer....hahaha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk