New guy here, just wanted to introduce myself

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Hey guys,
I will be moving up to the Durham/Raleigh area middle of next year. I was born and raised near Tampa Florida. I am a 6th generation Floridian, so somewhat of an endangered species down here!
My wife will be going to Duke University for some grad school work. (biology field)
I fish/spearfish/freedive down here in Florida and do some hunting as well. I think I will have to learn more about hunting once I move up to NC tho as I will be a good distance from the type of saltwater fishing that I am used to.
I will be bringing up my 17ft Keywest center console and my small 4wheeler to hopefully keep my occupied in the outdoors. I also have a lab-mix and a pure blood great dane dog that keep me busy.

Do any of you guys live near the Durham area? I would like to get some local information of places to rent/buy a house and any info on where NOT to live if possible. Also, if anyone has an info on some hunting/shooting areas near that area as well, that would be appreciated.

I currently work in the construction/engineering industry as a test and balance technician. So, I hope to look into some companies in that area as well.

I have read a little bit on here, and can tell that this is a close-knit group of guys, and I appreciate that! Hope you all had a great thanksgiving! :wave:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Welcome to the forum Mark! It was quite a difference moving back home after 35+ years in the Sunshine state but thankfully, the laws they are a changing. Now, if I could just get past having to pay a tax every single year to drive a car that I paid off years ago I'd be happy.

Can't help with much else, I'm from Down East....

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Welcome! I am a transplant from Florida. Have lived here since 1998. Lots of anti-hunting/gun owning liberals in Durham. Don't let them stop you. ;)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I also am a transplant from NW Florida after being down there for 19 years. I lived in the Hillsborough area in the early 80's but it's changed so much since I've moved back that I can't help much at all down that way.
It's a very convenient area, and I enjoyed the fact that I could be in the mountains or at the coast in just a few hours from that locality.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay in NC.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Welcome to the forum. I'm kinda a biased old fart but my first recommendation would be, don't live in Wake Co. or Durham. Get your wife accustomed to an hour commute and look in Granville and Person Co. Good luck on the job search.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Welcome to NCHF...my wife has folks near Durham,check out Hillsborough they say it's a nice place for the most part.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all the advice guys!
My wife will need to be on campus everyday. And, thanks for the bratty college kids warning, as I am well aware of them! I have plenty of encounters with the "anti"-crowd. But, luckily I can usually sway them a little bit and inform them that not all hunters/fisherman are "dumb rednecks"! (I usually ask them if they eat meat first, and if they do, then it is an easy conversation..) A little education to them that outdoorsman are the first environmentalist usually helps also!
My wife is in the biology field, so many of her classmates have been out fishing/camping/diving with us, and tend to appreciate the outdoors. Not all of them are "tree-huggers".

seminolewind

As long as your not a Gator or Miami fan, then you are ok!

fatboy

Four Pointer
Mark, contact Paul Falcon, with Triangle Certification at 919-957-4141. Paul is from the Tampa area as well. He is a good guy. Or Palmetto Air and Water 919-460-7730.

Don't listen to all the negative comments about Durham. I am breed, born and raised here. Still live in Durham. You can find negatives everywhere. With that said, there are areas that are much more pleasant than others, if you know what I mean. I live out by Falls Lake. It is still somewhat country out here.

Dwayne

Last edited:

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all the help guys!

I am NOT a UF/UM fan! I have been a lifelong FSU fan, and have enjoyed the past week after the clinic they put on UF!

FATBOY,
thanks for the info. I will call those guys soon. That seems like what I am looking for.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of good fishing on the lakes. Just different than your used too. Slabs are biting.
Deer hunting in Durham is good. And stereotypical Durham isn't where I would want to live.
Welcome to the forum cheers

seminolewind

Thanks for all the help guys!

I am NOT a UF/UM fan! I have been a lifelong FSU fan, and have enjoyed the past week after the clinic they put on UF!

FATBOY,
thanks for the info. I will call those guys soon. That seems like what I am looking for.

That def was a great game! And in the swamp!

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
***Update***:

Well, I enjoyed my first trip up in Durham this past weekend. My wife had some meetings at Duke, and I had an informal interview with a local company. We did some driving around looking for houses to rent. We enjoyed some good food at a chicken&waffle place downtown. And also some little seafood shack for lunch.

Things I learned compared to Florida: Hills! My little 4cyl car was not used to driving up and down the hills! Also, the thick forest were nice. Overall the scenery looked very pleasant and I am looking forward to actually having 4 seasons vs 1.5 in Florida. We stopped by Falls lake and checked out the boat ramp. Looks like a nice place to enjoy the water. We looked at about a dozen houses, and noticed that only 1 of them had a fence for the backyard!? Very odd to see that a small percatage of houses in general had fences... Here in Florida, its odd to see a house without a fence! (I guess we dont like our neighbors!)

We are looking forward to moving up to this beautiful state in a few months! Hopefully we can find a house to rent as well. (the 2 we were going to sign papers on have already been scooped up; I guess rentals go fast!)
(If anyone has a lead on a house for rent/sale in July/Aug within driving distance for Duke; please let me know.)

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^You went to Dames didn't ya? And another thought...don't let this weekends weather fool ya, it was cold lol! Don't worry, its not Florida, but still;)

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I just checked my credit card, and yes it was Dames. Pretty good food! The seafood place was the saltbox seafood joint.

I was warned about the weather! It was a gorgeous weekend, but I do expect the temp/humidity to be close to what I am used to. At least I will actually feel fall/winter/spring tho!

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
***Update***:

Well, I enjoyed my first trip up in Durham this past weekend. My wife had some meetings at Duke, and I had an informal interview with a local company. We did some driving around looking for houses to rent. We enjoyed some good food at a chicken&waffle place downtown. And also some little seafood shack for lunch.

Things I learned compared to Florida: Hills! My little 4cyl car was not used to driving up and down the hills! Also, the thick forest were nice. Overall the scenery looked very pleasant and I am looking forward to actually having 4 seasons vs 1.5 in Florida. We stopped by Falls lake and checked out the boat ramp. Looks like a nice place to enjoy the water. We looked at about a dozen houses, and noticed that only 1 of them had a fence for the backyard!? Very odd to see that a small percatage of houses in general had fences... Here in Florida, its odd to see a house without a fence! (I guess we dont like our neighbors!)

We are looking forward to moving up to this beautiful state in a few months! Hopefully we can find a house to rent as well. (the 2 we were going to sign papers on have already been scooped up; I guess rentals go fast!)
(If anyone has a lead on a house for rent/sale in July/Aug within driving distance for Duke; please let me know.)

Just curious what you called the 1.5 seasons?? Summer and Hurricane? :)

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Just curious what you called the 1.5 seasons?? Summer and Hurricane? :)

Hurricane season have missed us the past 10 years! We get a few cold days down here. My hunting property in central Fl will see low 20degs 2-3 nights a year. But, usually during "winter", its cold enough to turn the heat up in the car in the AM, and then turn the A/C on in the afternoon!

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
If ya move to Durham stay off that damn running trail they got up there. Not sure how many people are gonna get attacked before they shut it down.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mark I'm with ya on the Florida seasons, there's one and a half! "Down East" it get's just as hot as it does in Daytona or Tampa and just as doggone muggy, it just doesn't last as long. Maybe you'll be spared a little of that being west of 95. Good luck to ya!

w4sar

Six Pointer
Welcome! I have been working at Duke University since 1993 and lived in Orange County all that time, first in Hillsborough and now in Efland. I can reach the campus in half an hour. I go fishing 100 yards behind my house, drive 10 miles to a friend's property to deer hunt. Where is your wife going to study? I am a Research Analyst in the Brain Tumor Immunotherapy program.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
If ya move to Durham stay off that damn running trail they got up there. Not sure how many people are gonna get attacked before they shut it down.

Is that the trail in North Gate park? My wifes labmate owns in there and seems to like the "up and coming" area. We checked out the dog park and walked a few paved paths.

w4sar:
my wife is going into a sensory biologist lab in the biology bldg.