Migration...

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
Is it me or are the birds i guess you could say late? I have hunted everywhere river, ponds and lakes and haven't seen many birds other than residential mallards and wood ducks. Whats the cause of this?

Sent from

bowtech

Ten Pointer
A buddy of mine was on Lake Ontario during thanksgiving week. It was 65 degrees there, that's your problem

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
What residents that still hang around have been tortured and finding new areas to loaf around. Hope for some weather up North before the third split begins

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
Lots of birds in big numbers on the lake. Need some cold weather to break them up and push new birds this way. Better off to lay low till 3rd split.

grunt

Four Pointer
Too warm. Some have killed birds but its hit or miss and slower than normal. On several of the hunts Teal has been the most common bird.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
It's an el niño year. They are calling for the northeast to be unseasonably warm, and it appears it has been thus far. With that being said, some of the biggest snowstorms in history have come during el niño years. I've been following a thread on another site, and a former NC resident now lives in the great lakes region and he says they have not seen the migration they normally have. Maybe the weather event brewing that may touch the great lakes region tmw night will bring a push.

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
It's an el niño year. They are calling for the northeast to be unseasonably warm, and it appears it has been thus far. With that being said, some of the biggest snowstorms in history have come during el niño years. I've been following a thread on another site, and a former NC resident now lives in the great lakes region and he says they have not seen the migration they normally have. Maybe the weather event brewing that may touch the great lakes region tmw night will bring a push.

Yah i saw theres some bad weather happening up there which may push some birds down i just hope the birds come soon i want some more action

Sent from

Michmade25

Button Buck
I was just in Michigan and it was still pretty warm out. Last year around this time there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm in MN and telling you, for the most part, we still have open water and haven't seen much in the way of migration yet.

TeamLockedUP

Seen about 3000 snows moving through Kansas this afternoon flocks of 100-200 birds and there still flying as I. Typing this

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

labman63

Ten Pointer
Got a text last night from a guy in MD that the north wind the other night pushed a bunch of new geese in and he had 100 widgeon show up on his impoundment yesterday. They are coming.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
saw bout 25 mallards today that wasnt there yesterday. hopefuy itll pick up soon. My luck we'll be covered up in them next week, then be gone by 3rd split.

skydog

December is usually a throw away month. You get the photo migrators pushing through almost regardless of the weather in November and then there usually isn't another decent push until we get some decent ice up north. Seems like December is always pretty mild, just a question of whether the cold arrives up North in time for January...instead of February like we've been seeing the past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

cootmayne

Button Buck
December is usually a throw away month. You get the photo migrators pushing through almost regardless of the weather in November and then there usually isn't another decent push until we get some decent ice up north. Seems like December is always pretty mild, just a question of whether the cold arrives up North in time for January...instead of February like we've been seeing the past few years.

This has been my experience too.....except for about 5 years ago when it got crazy cold in December and we had a decent push come through.

Last edited:

double

Twelve Pointer
Never really killed many migrators this early. Wait until the end of Dec and into Jan and the birds will do what they have done for thousands of years with in a week or two.

labman63

Ten Pointer
Talked to a buddy in Maine last night. Nothing froze yet. It is late for there. He said it just started freezing in northern Maine so about 10 days they will start to freeze. Plenty of sea ducks but puddle ducks are scarce.