Bogue Sound Fishing Advice Needed

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Hey guys I just moved from the mountains down to Emerald Isle and I'm wanting to catch some fish out the sound. I don't have a boat or kayak or anything yet but plan on getting one some day. I went about a week ago and threw my cast net off of a dock for a good 45 minutes (trying to catch bait) and couldn't catch anything. My question is, do pin fish, mullet, shrimp etc run through the sound in the colder months? Is it pretty good fishing off the public docks for reds and spots or am I just wasting my time? The dock goes out pretty far and it looks like good fishing. I'm pretty new to the saltwater fishing thing, though I have done it before with some success and I can throw the crap out of a cast net lol

Thanks in advance!

23mako

Ten Pointer
It is getting pretty late in the year especially to be catching much of anything with the cast net.

Firefly knows that area and can put you in the right direction. My advice to you would be start saving now so you can buy a kayak or a boat. You are near Hammock's Beach State Park which has some good inshore fishing in the series of marshes behind it. Do you have waders? That will allow you to at least wade into some decent spots. Check out google earth for some places. Bogue Inlet Pier can be a good place to fish as well. http://www.bogueinletpier.com/currentfishingreport.htm

Fishing at the point of emerald isle is a good spot when the blues, spanish, albacore and other fish are running.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
There are still plenty of Redfish and Seatrout around the area if you know where to go but 23 maco is right its getting late in the season now..I will be honest you can catch fish from a pier in the sound at the right time of course but access is very limited there. Your best bet is to buy a boat when you can..Over around Bear Island there is some good fishing to be had in the creeks.. I would think there is still a few baitfish in the creeks and sound but most have probably moved on by now..Bogue Inlet Pier will close December 13 until March of next year but you could try fishing over there as well..

Fishing the point on Emerald Isle might be productive at times now, I don't see a lot of surf fishing going on anymore last time I was over there just a few were working the surf. I don't know about the Sea Mullet, could be some of them still around also..Warmer weather is coming back in a few days back up into the seventies. I plan to make a run to Morehead City and see what is in the turning basin soon. Anywhere in a creek around grass or oyster shells especially where the water drops off a bit like 4 to six feet or more can hold fish, especially Sea Trout.. I'm not sure about the shrimp they may have moved out into the Ocean by now, not much to be caught with a cast net at the present time unless you know where to go..Watch others and where they are fishing, then you fish there also. I wish you good luck..

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
There are kayak rental places in your area. The White Oak River would be a good spot for salt and fresh water species. There should be trout and drum still around the marsh/mouth of the river area. If a cold snap hits or rough weather moves in trout will move up past the landing at Stella. There is a pay per use private landing there and the owner rents canoes/kayaks. I don't know if he is open all year though. Further up the river there is a pretty good bass fishery and state protected lizards (alligators). Good luck.

<>< Fish

23mako

Ten Pointer
FF please let me know how you do. I caught some mullet last weekend in the turning basin but had to work for them. Ended up giving them to my grandparents and now want some to eat myself! All the mullet I caught hit the fish bite blood worm flavor just fyi. Guy on another site said he was having good luck with gulp shrimp. Good luck sir.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
FF please let me know how you do. I caught some mullet last weekend in the turning basin but had to work for them. Ended up giving them to my grandparents and now want some to eat myself! All the mullet I caught hit the fish bite blood worm flavor just fyi. Guy on another site said he was having good luck with gulp shrimp. Good luck sir.

I sure will 23mako if we make a trip, weatherman says something about rain now for tonight and maybe tomorrow morning. Then friday the wind is suppose to pick up quite a bit, i quit fishing in windy weather its just no fun to bounce up and down out there like a cork..

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
There are kayak rental places in your area. The White Oak River would be a good spot for salt and fresh water species. There should be trout and drum still around the marsh/mouth of the river area. If a cold snap hits or rough weather moves in trout will move up past the landing at Stella. There is a pay per use private landing there and the owner rents canoes/kayaks. I don't know if he is open all year though. Further up the river there is a pretty good bass fishery and state protected lizards (alligators). Good luck.

<>< Fish

I don't know about the Kayak rentals now either, seems they shut down for the winter,not sure though. Some good fishing for sure up the White Oak and around Jones Island. Find the deeper holes around Jones Island and catch Black Drum and Specks just about the time the tide starts to get high and then starts falling. I have found the fish won't be there long with the tide change but the ones we have caught are some very nice fish...

skimmer

Six Pointer
Got a friend who has been surf fishing to Emerald Isle pretty much everyday after work and he has caught lots of trout but very few have been keepers. Schools of drum should also be showing up in the surf around Bear inlet now as well

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
The Drum are in the surf around Bear Island, some friends of mine have been catching some big ones over two weeks now fishing just behind the breakers from a boat..

23mako

Ten Pointer
Heard the mullet fishing has been good down in the turning basin. A guy I know from Dover caught 60 something last week.