whats our thoughts on a reel? Looking a good spinning in the range of.....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Want to spend no more than 200, more like 125 to 150 or so on a spinning reel that is designeg to cast metal or plugs.

Looking for something that will cast distance and hold up for salt water surf fishing.

Need something in a 4000 to 5500 size.
I have several penn 4300 4500ss reels that I have been using and want to pull from use.
They are great reels just dont cast the distance like some of the newer ones and I hae used a 6500ss for heavy metal but want something that is lighter, all metal and that will last years.

Thoughts

Maybe the spinfisher or Battle II ? But open to anything that will fit the bill.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I've used Shimano almost exclusively for over 30 years and for $209 you can't go wrong with the 4000 Stradic as it'll handle most any surf application. But to save a few bucks the 4000 Battle is a good choice (I recently bought a 2000 Battle II for inshore use and it is a very nice little reel).

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I am a huge Daiwa fan and have been since my first surf fishing trips back in the mid-70's. IMO you can't go wrong woth a Daiwa. I would look at the Daiwa Saltist 4500H, even though it is a few $$ more than the price range you mentioned, it is IMO still very much worthy of consideration. Since you will use it for metal, it has a very high retreive ratio 6.2:1 and holds plenty of 14 to 17 pound test mono/floro or braid.

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-saltist-stt4500h-saltwater-spinning-reels.html

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I am a huge Daiwa fan and have been since my first surf fishing trips back in the mid-70's. IMO you can't go wrong woth a Daiwa. I would look at the Daiwa Saltist 4500H, even though it is a few $$ more than the price range you mentioned, it is IMO still very much worthy of consideration. Since you will use it for metal, it has a very high retreive ratio 6.2:1 and holds plenty of 14 to 17 pound test mono/floro or braid.

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-saltist-stt4500h-saltwater-spinning-reels.html

Good reel but dont buy anything from tackle direct unless you want to play full retail

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Try eBay. I have bought several new Stradics at a 30 to 40% savings when the year models are changing. When the 4000 and 5000 models were changing from white to the new color scheme, the savings were 50%.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure u can find an all metal spinning reel now a days at that price point. And all metal isn't going to be light at all.....I personally use a ton of shimano stuff and love their reels.....that being said, okuma cedros are really really good metal chunking reels for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Want to spend no more than 200, more like 125 to 150 or so on a spinning reel that is designeg to cast metal or plugs.

Looking for something that will cast distance and hold up for salt water surf fishing.

Need something in a 4000 to 5500 size.
I have several penn 4300 4500ss reels that I have been using and want to pull from use.
They are great reels just dont cast the distance like some of the newer ones and I hae used a 6500ss for heavy metal but want something that is lighter, all metal and that will last years.

Thoughts

Maybe the spinfisher or Battle II ? But open to anything that will fit the bill.

try some braided line (leader if you like) to improve your distance. You may not need new reels.

granted new spool designs aid distance but not sure how far you need to cast?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not really a need but a want....
All ready use braid on most was just wanting to get a better reel newer technology and maybe lighter.

Funny if you look at the reels you can go a lot smaller then in the past and still do fine.
Just looks funny having a 3500 or 4000 on a 9 or 10' rod when in the past you used a 6500 or 7500ss

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure u can find an all metal spinning reel now a days at that price point. And all metal isn't going to be light at all.....I personally use a ton of shimano stuff and love their reels.....that being said, okuma cedros are really really good metal chunking reels for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most the Penn Battle and spinfisher are all metal.
Not too many Daiwa or others on display to play with.
Need to find some to put my hands on and not order something I dont care for.
Also penn is mostly made in china. Wish they were in the USA like the old ones.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Try the Tightline and Frigate line carried by Bass Pro. Good reels at a decent price, especially if catch them on sale. They just introduced a new reel call Breakwater , that I want to try. Yes, they are Made in China reels but just about all reels are.