Watch your dogs during any warm weather

bowtech

Ten Pointer
Out of state in Arkansas hunting for a few days, got up to 70 degrees out here today, went and hunt this afternoon, after jumping some ducks we decided to set up, threw out some decoys and I went to hide the boat, was walking about to my buddy with my dog when he got bit by a cottonmouth on the leg. Loaded up and hauled butt to the vet 30 mins away. Where I'm from we don't have the Devils son of guns around so I didn't know what to do. Doc said he should be fine, gave him a shot, and gave me some med to give him for the next couple days. He's legs swollen up pretty good and he's just been laying around lethargic since we've been back to the room. Hoping he'll bounce back soon. Hate to see him like this.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Man that's tough. Sorry to hear an i hope all is going to be ok. I would have freaked out if it was my pup.
Hopefully that snake isnt around to hit the next pup or hunter that comes along.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I've had it happen while training in Vance county. Dog got bit on a site blind and from then on he kept going around a certain spot. By the time we got home he was lethargic and drooling everywhere, was the weirdest thing ever cause I had never seen him that relaxed. I realized what it was and let him rest.

uglymud

Button Buck
Everyone I've talked to about it says a good swallow of children's benadryl will help them out and there's not much else you can do.

TeamLockedUP

Sorry to hear that worse thing is they can't talk to tell you of there in pain or not
Hope he gets well and bounces back hope it don't ruin your trip

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

AcridSaint

Sorry to hear about your dog, but it sounds like everything will be all right.

bowtech

Ten Pointer
Update: I haven't hunted him since, he has been throwing up and can't keep much food down, drinking water, but seems to be getting a little more energy everyday, has anyone had personal experience with this ? Do they stay pretty sick for a few days ? I keep texting the vet and he seems to say it's all pretty normal...

uglymud

Button Buck
Had a dog get bit on the nose, after about a week or so she was back acting like her normal self.

old school

Six Pointer
Had popular leafs bite three of my hounds when I used to do that gig. All were bit ay my kennel and all were bit in the head and neck area. Note: if you ever discover that one is bitten in that area , remove their collar because the swelling that will occur could suffocate your dog. An old timer told me this remedy and it worked every time. Buy a loaf of white loaf bread and 3 pounds of bacon. Fry up all the bacon and save all the grease and drippings from the pan. Of course the bacon is for your own personal use and will make your house smell like breakfast all day which is a good thing where I come from. Soak up all the grease you can with that loaf bread and let your dog eat all he wants. Believe me he'll eat it all. Of course let this take the place of his normal feeding so he'll be good and hungry. You know a moccasin throws a different kind of juice than popular leafs and your's was at least bit in a lower body part. Get this grease in him. I'm sure this cheap lube job soaks up the venom some how and I hope it works for you.

ducdogz

Spike
How your dog doing after getting bit? I've always worried about this with my dogs training in and around ponds...