Bbq sauce, Western nc style

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have a hard time converting up and keeping up with my recipe on paper, so I'm gonna put it on the Internet where I can find it. Not saying it's better than yours but don't get many complaints. Enough for a pig and to have some leftover to last until next time.
97c9a0dcb94445c97cd15dd55a373a8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Most all sauce like BBQ pick up better taste and mix better heated.
I helps blend all the peper and spice.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah, get it hot. Don't know if I ever get it to full boil, but at least a simmer

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have a hard time converting up and keeping up with my recipe on paper, so I'm gonna put it on the Internet where I can find it. Not saying it's better than yours but don't get many complaints. Enough for a pig and to have some leftover to last until next time.
97c9a0dcb94445c97cd15dd55a373a8a.jpg

Great looking recipe!! I have a friend who does a similar mix but he swears by adding 1liter of Coca Cola to it when he does a whole piglet.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lol. It's a big batch! Besides, does it really take much of a reason to get shot in DURHAM?

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Red pepper flakes or chopped/ground dried red pepper.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
This is a very similar recipe to my Grandmother's old south Georgia BBQ sauce we put on smoked ham (and is great on hamburgers). One tip is to not let liquid solutions with crushed red pepper come to a hard boil but just a very light simmer at the most as the pepper will burn...and solutions with so much brown sugar and ketchup will very easily burn.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Made some of this sauce shortly after it was posted. Jarred and let it set until the weekend. Dad cooked a couple butts and used this sauce. Outstanding sauce. Has a nice sweet taste.

Im gonna modify the recipe a tad to make it thicker for chicken. Its perfect for pork as is. I love playing with sauces.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
3 pounds, POUNDS of brown Sugar?!?!?! Good Lord!!! Those 3 words will get you SHOT in Durham!

3 pounds isn't much to balance 3 whole gallons of vinegar. I guarantee you it would still be quite thin and tangy. My late father-in-law was one of the whole pig cookin' gurus of Durham, and his sauce recipe was very similar to this. He put on pig pickin's for hundreds of folks every year, and I never heard a one complain. I love vinegar sauce, but in my opinion, if you're just going to pour straight vinegar out a bottle onto your meat, don't call it a sauce, it's just vinegar. :) Western NC sauce is the best of both worlds. My recipe is similar to this one.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If the meat is cooked right...you can probably pour anything in/on it and have a good meal. Good sauce only shines when the meat doesnt.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
3 pounds isn't much to balance 3 whole gallons of vinegar. I guarantee you it would still be quite thin and tangy. My late father-in-law was one of the whole pig cookin' gurus of Durham, and his sauce recipe was very similar to this. He put on pig pickin's for hundreds of folks every year, and I never heard a one complain. I love vinegar sauce, but in my opinion, if you're just going to pour straight vinegar out a bottle onto your meat, don't call it a sauce, it's just vinegar. :) Western NC sauce is the best of both worlds. My recipe is similar to this one.

That is why a true Eastern NC sauce has salt to balance the vinegar...to the tune of around 1/2 box of salt per gallon of vinegar. Acids are balanced by bases and the salt cuts the vinegar acidity and strong taste while maintaining the tang and base flavor of the intended outcome- and the other seasonings like black & red pepper plus one's own favorites are what creates the BBQ sauce flavor (keeping in mind that a sauce should be slightly salty as 80# of pork needs some salt to be seasoned above and beyond the sauce. A good friend of mine abhors anything vinegar but loves my pig & chickens because my sauce is balanced with the right salt to vinegar ratio.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I do not believe you. Please send me some for tasting as proof that it is as good as you say it is. I'll be waiting with napkin in hand. :)

buckrutt29

Four Pointer
Do you have or can someone break that recipe down to a smaller amount, maybe 1 gallon or 1.5 gallons finished product ? thanks

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Stupid question. Does this need to be refrigerated or can you just store it in the cabinet?

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Simple bbq sauce:
4 sticks of butter, one gallon of apple cider vinegar, crushed red pepper to suit your heat level. Bring to slow simmer until it is blended well. Cook chicken and dip it once then reseal in tin foil, same for boston butts. Dip again if you like it warmer. We also add fine cayenne pepper to bring up the heat.