New smokehouse build

92xj

Eight Pointer
Got it set up and running. Shelf build tomorrow and more seasoning and I should be good for food this week.

Cheese

Six Pointer
You priced it out yet? Not counting time, what did you spend on materials? Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

Eight Pointer
You priced it out yet? Not counting time, what did you spend on materials? Looks great

I've priced out my cost.

For someone wanting to build one of these, to this scale, and would need to purchase everything I would budget $300 - $700 depending on the type of wood (cedar is way expensive) and the quality of burner, hinges, accessories, screws, etc.

92xj

Eight Pointer
When I get home tomorrow I'll take interior pictures. Also got a shelf made and installed this afternoon.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
You've had my wheels turning and I've really enjoyed watching your project progress.

I'm thinking I might need to go ahead a build me a smoker for the BatCave.

This smoker is much like what you have built with the addition of a fire box and thought I'd share.

Can't wait to hear how your smoked goods turnout! Really like the vent covers you placed under the soffit too, awesome work!

a204fd2233811e463f99007014be367d.jpg

Last edited:

Einstein

Six Pointer
Very Nice!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

92xj

Eight Pointer
After roughly 60 hours of smoke to season I feel I am ready to throw the first batch on.
Got 60 pounds of cheese loaded up and smoking.

Trophybucks

After roughly 60 hours of smoke to season I feel I am ready to throw the first batch on.
Got 60 pounds of cheese loaded up and smoking.

Dude that looks awesome but I have to ask one question...WHO HAS 60LBS OF CHEESE AROUND THE HOUSE???? Just had to ask.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Dude that looks awesome but I have to ask one question...WHO HAS 60LBS OF CHEESE AROUND THE HOUSE???? Just had to ask.

They just invented these new things out here, stores. I just go there and they have cheese, it's amazing!

Normally I'll do about 100 pounds a year. Half of that is gifts for hunting friends, co workers and family. They rest we go through all year. My wife loves it and we replace all normal cheese with smoked cheese once it's rested enough. Lunch sandwich slices, burritos, lasagna, pizza, everything you use sliced, shredded and cubed cheese. Also, we just got all the equipment and books on making homemade cheese. Hopefully we'll get that figured out soon and be smoking my own homemade cheese for gifts and maybe a little side money.

92xj

Eight Pointer
While waiting on the cheese to finish I knocked out the metal roof. Not needed at all but I wanted it with a metal roof from the beginning and now I have that. Once I get the cheese out it will get a wash down.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Cheese is done and ready to rest. Very pleased with the smokehouse and am glad today's work is over.

Trophybucks

They just invented these new things out here, stores. I just go there and they have cheese, it's amazing!

Normally I'll do about 100 pounds a year. Half of that is gifts for hunting friends, co workers and family. They rest we go through all year. My wife loves it and we replace all normal cheese with smoked cheese once it's rested enough. Lunch sandwich slices, burritos, lasagna, pizza, everything you use sliced, shredded and cubed cheese. Also, we just got all the equipment and books on making homemade cheese. Hopefully we'll get that figured out soon and be smoking my own homemade cheese for gifts and maybe a little side money.

We have stores around here too but never seen anyone walk out with 60 lbs of cheese LOL...it does look good though. That would make nice gifts.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Got my lower grating cut to hold the drip pans. I also think it's going to work very well for a smoke and heat diffuser with the pans in place. I will wire wheel and coat in oil before cooking on them. While doing this I threw a slab of pork belly on the other smoker. This was the leftover piece from the bacon that I started the cure on to smoke this coming Friday for bacon.

92xj

Eight Pointer
I am absolutely amazed at how well this build regulates and distributes the heat between different elevations. Right now the probes have a roughly 16" difference and the temps are only 3 degrees different when I took the picture, as I am typing it's a 2 degree difference.
Also, the wind started to scare me last weekend and then I saw 40 mph winds forecasted for yesterday so I added wind protection. Yesterday at work I was wondering how it all held up in the 40 mph wind with gust well above. When I got home, all was well.

92xj

Eight Pointer
No, just vacuum sealed in Ziploc brand rolls. These are the best quality bags I've found, thicker and no false seals. They are also cheaper. I feel once people figure this out their price is going to jump. Out of all the brands I bought and found I'll continue to use Ziploc.

Last edited: