Boat Rental vs Owning

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The in-laws recently moved to the New Bern area and wanted to get a boat. Their neighborhood does not allow boats to be parked there so it needs Dry Dock or Storage at a facility. So $60-200/month. They wanted something like a deck or pontoon boat. Their vehicle probably cant tow something that big so dry dock it is. So $2400 a year to store it. Then you have boat payment and all the crap associated with owning a boat. I told them to take $3,000 and set it aside each year and just rent a boat each time they wanted to go out and they would probably come out ahead. What is everyone's thoughts?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
In that case I would rent different boats to see what you like and how many times you go.
If you are getting close to the cost of owning it each month then you may want to look and buy it.
May find better deals renting from the same place.

Got to factor in insurance, taxes, and all the costs of owning.
Also remember it may sit not used for 4 to 5 months a year at the beach.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
A boat is a hole in the water where one pours lots of money, I have two boats. Or, B.O.A.T...Break out another thousand for repairs and maintenance..I think if I were them I would rent a boat a few times before making the decision to buy but its their money..A boat usually just sits for much longer periods of time than other expensive toys do..

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I imagine the boat would only go out when we come to visit. I would take it out at least once a month if someone was willing to go with me. I much prefer to go on my kayak if going alone. I think if they rent a few times they will figure out they don't need/want a boat of their own. If you can find the right partner it makes a lot more sense.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Simple solution..... you/them buy the boat and keep it in GSO with you.... trailer down when you go...

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Will of course need to crank it up every other weekend and make sure it has not mechanical problems.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My first thought is, I don't EVER plan on living somewhere that dictates what I can have in my yard!

jab0106

Ten Pointer
how the heck is there anywhere in new bern that wont allow a boat in the hood? that is ridiculous for a water town.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Thought I wanted a pontoon, ended up with a deck boat. Same basic layout up top, but drives like a boat. Can cruise 35 mph with no problem, other than burning a lot of fuel.
I say rent a pontoon before you buy one.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You pay a bunch of money to live in some areas, pay alot for hoa fees, and have little control of what you can do outside your home....no thanks. I dont understand this type of living.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
You pay a bunch of money to live in some areas, pay alot for hoa fees, and have little control of what you can do outside your home....no thanks. I dont understand this type of living.

I understand this type of living enough to know that I won't live under it..My inlaws used to live under it, could not even cut a tree down in their own yard without notifying the HOA and they decided what you could or could not do with the tree.. Northern mentality is what some folks call it..

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thought I wanted a pontoon, ended up ith a deck boat. Same basic layout up top, but drives like a boat. Can cruise 35 mph with no problem, other than burning a lot of fuel.
I say rent a pontoon before you buy one.

Yep my family has a pontoon boat at the lake I dont care for It.
If I was looking something like that at the beach I'd look at one of the largest Carolina Skiffs they make.

Friend had one several years back and I remember that being nice.
His had the back and front deck other than that it was open and he used nice boat chairs you could move around anyplace you wanted or remove them when only 3 or 4 people were there.
Had 2 60 hp if I remember. May have been 70hp.
Could putt around on one or use both to get someplace.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I live in an HOA but down the street are a bunch of houses that do not. One resident has an RV, Bass Boat, Ocean Boat and 4-5 cars and then a work van on the street. He then likes to paint and do lots of work on the cars, boat and RV. It is a bit unsightly and would make someone think twice about moving next door to the guy.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Skip the boat and charter 1/2 day trips. Depending on if they are on the water, the guide may come pick them up with the boat.

I live in the sticks, so I cannot do a HOA thing. Had a guy ask once, when I was going to cut a back strip. It wasn't a pretty conversation. He never asked again.

Last edited:

jab0106

Ten Pointer
I live in an HOA but down the street are a bunch of houses that do not. One resident has an RV, Bass Boat, Ocean Boat and 4-5 cars and then a work van on the street. He then likes to paint and do lots of work on the cars, boat and RV. It is a bit unsightly and would make someone think twice about moving next door to the guy.

so what, dont move in beside him

jab0106

Ten Pointer
Personally have no issue with what you describe but if I did I'd make sure I had more land than house.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Yep my family has a pontoon boat at the lake I dont care for It.
If I was looking something like that at the beach I'd look at one of the largest Carolina Skiffs they make.

Friend had one several years back and I remember that being nice.
His had the back and front deck other than that it was open and he used nice boat chairs you could move around anyplace you wanted or remove them when only 3 or 4 people were there.
Had 2 60 hp if I remember. May have been 70hp.
Could putt around on one or use both to get someplace.

Yep, a 24' Carolina Skiff DLV would be ideal.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

Sounds like a guy id hang out with.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
renting vs buying depends on the kind of people they are. Some like owning a boat, tinkering with stuff, having the ability to go whenever they want. Others just want to do it every now and then and not be bothered. It can be a lot of work, money and time but if they are looking for a hobby owning a boat can fill that hole.

In reference to the HOA deal, it would drive me crazy having someone tell me what I could and couldn't do. My inlaws moved here from TX into a retirement community and all my FIL does is bitch about the HOA rules, can't paint anything without approval, landscaping needs approval, etc. Well he knew this going in. Why did you buy there?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My experience has been that there aren't many rental options out there. Not sure about New Bern, but I've looked several times in multiple coastal locations, and the options for renting a real boat were nearly nonexistent. You can rent a 14' jon and a set of oars or maybe a 15 HP motor, but the options to rent a decent boat are few. I think a lot of people just assume that you can rent decent boats set up for fishing just like you can rent anything else, but that's often not the case.

I'd take Dan's option. I'd have a hard time paying to store a boat on dry land.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah he is a cool dude. Unfortunately it deters other would be buyers in the neighborhood that don't like that sort of thing which drives down property values a bit.

Sounds like you wouldn't want "those" people around anyways.....