Todays the day

double

Twelve Pointer
I finished up my reloading supplies around Christmas and have loaded up a few 35 rem rounds. Headed out to shoot them today. I can not say I am not a little nervous. I have followed every step double and triple measured so everything should be ok. Anybody ever have any troubles when they first started loading?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you did as you said you should be fine.
BTW only on round in the gun for testing a new load or combo.
That way you dont have a chain if something would go wrong...

For new loaders I always say, stick to one powder to start per loads.
Less chance to mix powders and data.

Like using unique vs Bullseye you can have a lot of problems mixing up something.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Have fun!

I would think you being a little apprehensive is a good thing. Meaning you probably used a lot of caution when loading. I know I was a little on edge when I fired the first bullets I loaded. Anything other wise, I would think that maybe a person is being too cocky and may have not paid good attention to what they were doing.

Twice with two different rifles, I found max loads for them were below listed max loads. Glad I follow good advice and work up from the low side to find load. Both times I knew not to try those loads again.

Last edited:

double

Twelve Pointer
I started my loads at the minimum and loaded a few different a few tenths apart never getting anywhere near max.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good for you to start low and work up.

I've never hand any serious issues, being as undistracted as possible when loading is a good tip.
When starting with a new batch of powder always back down and work back up. I have seen minor differences in in pressure from different lots of the same powder.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Only issues ive ever seen is when a loader "knows" better than the mfgs and way overloads past max charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bflee

I went past my max a little on a 260 Rem. It smoked out the pressure relief and the primer fell out when I pulled it out. I think bolt actions are a little more forgiving though!

Sent straight from Goshen Swamp, NC

double

Twelve Pointer
I didnt die. All went well i shot 3 different loads and accuracy got better the hotter the round was. This was my best 3 shot group. All the brass looked good no signs of pressure damage. I am going to load a couple more batches a little hotter and see if it does any better. If it doesn't I am happy with what I have now and I must say it felt good knowing I can now load my own rounds. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454282222.838617.jpg

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Still having all your fingers is good!

I may have some once fired Federal .35Rem brass laying around. It is yours if you want it. Fired from my 336 Marlin.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I know when I started, I was nervous at first. But all went well and I am glad I have done it. I reload to save money and just enjoy shooting. Glad it worked out well for you.

bflee

The worse reload I ever made shot better than the best factory load.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Started loading for a 9 mm pistol I looked at min loads and max loads. I went about 15-20% above max to ensure the rounds would cycle. Wore the thickest gloves I could find and stood behind a tree. It worked fine. I then loaded lower and lower to see how low before the pistol wouldn't cycle. I've never touched max but have went close a couple times. Decided the hotter rounds were more wrist shock then I wanted. Learned very quickly that factory loaded stuff is pretty tame. Even on a 9mm, relatively stout loads can get uncomfortable.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
After 40 years+ of reloading, I can say this without malice, if you are loading even 10% over max in any manual, you are a fool.
You should also be really nice to the wife and kids so that they will have good memories of you.

bflee

Started loading for a 9 mm pistol I looked at min loads and max loads. I went about 15-20% above max to ensure the rounds would cycle. Wore the thickest gloves I could find and stood behind a tree. It worked fine. I then loaded lower and lower to see how low before the pistol wouldn't cycle. I've never touched max but have went close a couple times. Decided the hotter rounds were more wrist shock then I wanted. Learned very quickly that factory loaded stuff is pretty tame. Even on a 9mm, relatively stout loads can get uncomfortable.
Wow.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

I really hope that " 15-20% above max" is suppose to read 15-20% below max. I think this may be the case because a few sentences later he mentions "never touched max".

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have always kept mine at the lower end. My reloads are to make shooting fun. It saves powder, easier on my wrist, less noise, and it's about the fun. I never had an issue with any of my reloads, be it in pistols or revolvers. (I do not reload rifle, as I don't own a rifle other than a 22.)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After 40 years+ of reloading, I can say this without malice, if you are loading even 10% over max in any manual, you are a fool.
You should also be really nice to the wife and kids so that they will have good memories of you.
Well stated, I have some old manuals and they are considerably higher than the newer ones on some things. I would suspect if you went 10-15% on them as a whole it would be drastic.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Well stated, I have some old manuals and they are considerably higher than the newer ones on some things. I would suspect if you went 10-15% on them as a whole it would be drastic.

X2 Tim, I have a stack of reloading manuals that date from the 1960's to the present and still buy any vintage manuals that I find at gun shows and yard/estate sales.
The vintage manuals are mostly used as a benchmark for all the newer manuals.
Also, the cartridge bios found in vintage manuals contain ALOT of info.
There are some hotter loads in the vintage manuals, but for me, that is not my reason for using them. In fact, there are some loads in vintage manuals that I won't use, case in point would be a major powder manual with a load for the 7mm Rem mag that pushes a 139gr bullet to 3400fps [a velocity not even attainable with some of the new "superperformance" powders].
Even when I was much less prudent, many years ago, I held up short of that load by a grain or so and killed a pile of deer with it.
The take-away is to never, never, never load above the max published in MAJOR reloading manuals [not the 'net].

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Flirting with disaster loading too high... and too low. With some powders, like H110 it's dangerous to go below their recommended starting loads!

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I believe Win 296 was one you didn't get low with also.

Same exact powder as H110.
FWIW, the reason that you do not load some powders in light loads is that there is not enough powder in the case to cover the primer. This leaves so much powder surface area for the primer to ignite that you end up with detonation instead burning of the powder [bomb].