A Few Survivors

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I swapped cards in a camera close to home today and saw that a few bucks survived the season and the bastard poachers that operate there. Three of the bucks look promising for the upcoming season.

<>< Fish

651_zpshftjvgcp.jpg

321_zpse3blnoaa.jpg

616_zpszv6kb556.jpg

700_zpsbqixloxa.jpg

703_zpsu9adflaq.jpg

697_zpsfms9sf2t.jpg

722_zps0rrzix1v.jpg

860_zpsixk1vfsp.jpg

Last edited:

rlpsystems

Four Pointer
What brand feeder is that? How do you like it? I'm looking into getting one but can't justify spending over 500$.
Thanks

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Can't recall the brand. It came from Walmart, one of the metal bucket feeders they sell.

<>< Fish

Cape Fear Logan

cant get the photos to load - is anyone else having issues? or maybe you can reload

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have to refill the feeder this weekend and might snoop around a little looking for a shed if the pics show they have started to drop antlers here.

<>< Fish

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I note two things. You are heading for a disaster, no does and bucks by themselves don't make baby deer. LOL.

Secondly, If you have bears in your area it appears that they can easily get to that feeder. I have mine in 55 gallon barrels and on a cable between two trees. I made the mistake one day after filling the barrel with 350 lbs of corn of cranking the barrel to high. That caused the barrel to "gravitate" to one end of the cable and way to close to one of the trees. Next time I went to pull the SD card from a camera watching over the feeder I found parts and pieces of the feeder lying on the ground under the feeder. When I reviewed the videos on the SD card I found that a bear had visited the feeder. It had climbed the tree nearest the feed barrel and smashed the feeder timer. It destroyed the feed timer and dumped the 350 lbs of corn on the ground. The dang bear slept in the corn pile a few days until all of the corn was consumed.

Just thought I'd warn you and hopefully save you the cost of a feed timer.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I note two things. You are heading for a disaster, no does and bucks by themselves don't make baby deer. LOL.

Secondly, If you have bears in your area it appears that they can easily get to that feeder. I have mine in 55 gallon barrels and on a cable between two trees. I made the mistake one day after filling the barrel with 350 lbs of corn of cranking the barrel to high. That caused the barrel to "gravitate" to one end of the cable and way to close to one of the trees. Next time I went to pull the SD card from a camera watching over the feeder I found parts and pieces of the feeder lying on the ground under the feeder. When I reviewed the videos on the SD card I found that a bear had visited the feeder. It had climbed the tree nearest the feed barrel and smashed the feeder timer. It destroyed the feed timer and dumped the 350 lbs of corn on the ground. The dang bear slept in the corn pile a few days until all of the corn was consumed.

Just thought I'd warn you and hopefully save you the cost of a feed timer.

This small woodlot has very few does that visit in the winter. It sets next to a 12 year old cutover that is nothing but two steep hills. The does are feeding in my backyard feeder and the green fields in broad daylight. No bears here or I'd have a different feeder set up. I have about half a dozen mongrel coons that need killing though!

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
A few more pics. That one 8 pointer sure likes having his picture taken. I hope I can give him a ride in the truck in the upcoming season.

<>< Fish

120_zpsfjdreumk.jpg

310_zps3lkgqokd.jpg

606_zpstjzgkubj.jpg

1280_zpstpvwbpej.jpg

1326_zpsf4nyld2p.jpg

1567_zpsesptvci2.jpg

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
he gets a little wider next year he will be nice. Hopefully you can find his sheds.

I hope I can find at least a shed from one of the bucks using the feeder. I'm going to swap cards today and look around a little bit.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Last 2 card pulls and no pics at all. Going to have to see what is going on. Corn and feed it gone but not a single picture. Ughhh.

<>< Fish