Gonna be a cold one for last youth day!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Am planning on heading to Halifax County to take my son duck hunting for the last time of the year but the temps tell me we will be breaking ice. Trying to decide if its worth it.

skydog

Probably depends on how much ice you're dealing with. If it's skim ice with some open spots you'll probably still have ducks around and if you can open up a bigger hole you should be in good shape. If you're talking about inch thick ice throughout your entire swamp then the ducks have probably moved elsewhere. If you've got anyone nearby who can scout the ice situation for you tomorrow I would try that before making the trip.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Heading towards the coast this evening hoping there is some open water around.

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Carry a sledge hammer to break the ice. Break up big sheets and slide them under the ice when you get a hole opened up.
We had to do this 2 years ago and it took 30-45 min to get a small hole (45'X60') open and clear of ice. It payed off big time!

robertc

Eight Pointer
Carry a sledge hammer to break the ice. Break up big sheets and slide them under the ice when you get a hole opened up.
We had to do this 2 years ago and it took 30-45 min to get a small hole (45'X60') open and clear of ice. It payed off big time!
Did that in a swamp in Forsyth County years ago. At daybreak it seemed every duck in a mile radius tried to get into that hole. Worn them out. Lot of work but we'll worth the effort.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
When we did it it was the same way. I think even if we did not have decoys out we still would have all shot limits. Open water when there is none around is priceless!

JD1107

Broke ice for 500yrds and attempted to keep this hole open for as long as I could stand to look at empty sky's the day after MLK day. Immature mistake should have gone to the bigger swamp because the roost below the one I was in had been locked up for 2 days and the birds moved out.

image.jpg

skydog

In my experiece with ice breaking it's a feast or famine outcome- and like everything else in this sport it depends on location. If it's a secluded swamp that has been an ice block for days and isn't in a heavily trafficked duck area, then typically birds push out and breaking a hole won't do any good because there won't be any ducks around to see your nice open water. On the other hand, if it's more recent/thin ice and/or you're close to a more heavily trafficked area (near big body of water, river, etc.) then breaking ice can pay off in a big way.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD1107

That swamp was loaded with teal, ringers, and mallards till Saturday before the hunt. Not far from rr lake and river. Ducks just unfortunately left. Should have hunted it Saturday instead of Tuesday.