Justice Scalia Dead. Its over folks.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hopefully the republican legislature can filibuster until the election, if not hopefully we get an R in the whitehouse and can appoint 2 or 3 in the next 8 years.... otherwise Tip is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Hopefully the republican legislature can filibuster until the election, if not hopefully we get an R in the whitehouse and can appoint 2 or 3 in the next 8 years.... otherwise Tip is right

Not going to happen...the republicans will cave to who ever Zero wants to put up

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I heard him speak at a NWTF banquet a few years ago........top notch individual and very down to earth.

Good man.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not going to happen...the republicans will cave to who ever Zero wants to put up

Kenyan may get this one but if an R is elected and serves 8 years he'll possibly have the opportunity to swing the Court back to the right.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Good point on dragging it out. This is the Senate's battle (I think?). McConnell is a spineless bozo. Cruz could play a major role if he is on the committee.

Edit: This should be a major battle to even reach the nomination phase prior to the election. Congress has never stood up to Zero. Will be interesting but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Kenyan may get this one but if an R is elected and serves 8 years he'll possibly have the opportunity to swing the Court back to the right.

Doubt it. Even if an R wins, the appointees of Rs are not a sure bet to me conservative....i.e. Souter and Roberts on the current court.......so hope all you 'conservative' :donk:donk:donk hats who didn't vote In the last election and all you who state you refuse to vote for trump( assuming he is the R candidate) are the first ones the .gov comes and moves to the reeducation camps

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What are the chances that the US fourth circuit Court of Appeals decision a week ago ends up in the Supreme Court now?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
What are the chances that the US fourth circuit Court of Appeals decision a week ago ends up in the Supreme Court now?

I would imagine that the progressive agenda will be put into overdrive and the pace of actions will quicken...

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Scalia's death could definitely be a turning point if Obama gets a nomination through the Senate! Scalia was a great American. Hopefully the spineless Republicans in the Senate will hold off any confirmations until after the election. This situation is critical....more important than even the Presidential campaign in the short term.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Doubt it. Even if an R wins, the appointees of Rs are not a sure bet to me conservative....i.e. Souter and Roberts on the current court.......so hope all you 'conservative' :donk:donk:donk hats who didn't vote In the last election and all you who state you refuse to vote for trump( assuming he is the R candidate) are the first ones the .gov comes and moves to the reeducation camps

You'd be wrong........

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
As far as politics and our own personal future as conservative Americans goes, Is there a possible worse political person to pass unexpectedly than Scalia?

I didn't think about it until I read this thread, but I can't name one person more powerful than a conservative on a 5-4 C vs Lib SCOTUS. Especially one in his position?

The last 2nd Amendment vote came out 5-4, along party lines I believe. Guess where the next won will end when Obamba appoints the most liberal native american transgender he can find?

Tip MIGHT be right. Might be ball game for all of us :(.

I am SOOOO glad I don't have children tonight.

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Obozo wouldn't miss this opportunity for anything, in fact I think he has been hoping for this to happen on his watch.. Our country is toast..

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
You'd be wrong........

Yeah wanna bet??? There are a whole lot more supposedly 'conservative' judges appointed to the federal bench who turn liberal than liberal who turn conservative......

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
As far as politics and our own personal future as conservative Americans goes, Is there a possible worse political person to pass unexpectedly than Scalia?

I didn't think about it until I read this thread, but I can't name one person more powerful than a conservative on a 5-4 C vs Lib SCOTUS. Especially one in his position?

The last 2nd Amendment vote came out 5-4, along party lines I believe. Guess where the next won will end when Obamba appoints the most liberal native american transgender he can find?

Tip MIGHT be right. Might be ball game for all of us :(.

I am SOOOO glad I don't have children tonight.

I watched an interesting piece about Scalia last night......often times he would dissent even though he felt that the conclusion was correct, but that the way the decision was reached was not 'constitutional'. No way the republicans can put off a vote on zeros appointee for 11 months, and even if they do, he will just make a recess appointment when congress adjourns in January of next year.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
and even if they do, he will just make a recess appointment when congress adjourns in January of next year.

luckily, Scalia's Court decided two years ago, after the labor board fiasco, that recess appointments are temporary, especially for life appointments.

They last only until the end of the next Senate Session.

Basically, what this scenario means is that everyone better suck it up and vote against Hillary or bernie.

Period.

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
It was finished when Bush appointed Roberts.

The nation will be in mourning for a period, and the Senate should let BHO's term finish without filling the vacancy. There will be lot's of deal making before this is resolved. Hey, maybe we can get a 2A supporter!!! If a deal has to be struck, I can't think of a better bargain.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
luckily, Scalia's Court decided two years ago, after the labor board fiasco, that recess appointments are temporary, especially for life appointments.

They last only until the end of the next Senate Session.

Basically, what this scenario means is that everyone better suck it up and vote against Hillary or bernie.

Period.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/is-a-recess-appointment-to-the-court-an-option/
Interesting read here about it.....appears that if the R stay resolute that zero may not be able to make that appointment. I still believe they will cave and till like a bunch of weaklings

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Yeah wanna bet??? There are a whole lot more supposedly 'conservative' judges appointed to the federal bench who turn liberal than liberal who turn conservative......

That may be true; but given a choice, I would much prefer to start with Justice John Roberts than to start with Justice Eric Holder.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Add a debate that was like putting salt in an open wound.

What a mess

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
That may be true; but given a choice, I would much prefer to start with Justice John Roberts than to start with Justice Eric Holder.

Agreed, but my point is just because a republican makes a choice, it doesn't mean it's going to be a good one. David Souter is a prime example of what happens.....he has turned out to be a total leftist in the vast majority of his rulings......

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I watched an interesting piece about Scalia last night......often times he would dissent even though he felt that the conclusion was correct, but that the way the decision was reached was not 'constitutional'. No way the republicans can put off a vote on zeros appointee for 11 months, and even if they do, he will just make a recess appointment when congress adjourns in January of next year.

So two points.. 1) they will not put off the vote I agree.. but they can vote no. (and it all depends on how fast he nominates) and 2) next Jan. when congress adjourns, he will not be President, they can delay adjournment until after the new POTUS takes office.

I am of the opinion that this is not good but might not be as bad as some predict.. president still matters and over the next few years more appointments will be made as well, and lets face it our 5-4 majority has not exactly been strong lately (see Obamacare).