Pond Managment

JD1107

Looks like a nice spot sapperman hope your hard work pays off come duck season!

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Are there foods that can be planted in shallow water along a shoreline? I have access to a good size pond and have had decent success with ducks and geese but I think it could be improved with some food along the shore. There isn't any way to lower the level of the pond though and I'm not sure how the landowner would feel about it.

I was reading that wild rice and japanese millet can be planted submerged? Anyone have any success with this? Also would not want to use anything that would take over the pond since I know they fish it sometimes.

Thanks.

Wild rice can be planted submerged but jap millet cannot. Jap millet can be flooded but the leaves need to be above the waterline. I would try sago pondweed if you have permanent water a foot or more deep. water up to a foot deep to muddy shoreline I would reccomend duck potato, burreed, arrow arum,. The great thing about establishing some permanent natural foods is once its established you dont have to plant every year. It comes back. And the ducks love a good stand of natural foods. You can try wild rice but I have heard way more failures than successes including a number of my own. Good luck.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
ca70b38b2aeb68650816086ca0a95d30.jpg
83b303dff9cb97df7994c391ecc0553a.jpg
3cf3c899cee63b7509c7de8742f89838.jpg

Thanks to hikestofish for coming out a few weeks ago and giving some advice.

As you see the jap millet is coming in very well, the rice may be coming in but it could just be other foliage.

I planted some dwarf corn near the banks but it seems the deer got most of it, a little bit survived though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good!!

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
Wild rice can be planted submerged but jap millet cannot. Jap millet can be flooded but the leaves need to be above the waterline. I would try sago pondweed if you have permanent water a foot or more deep. water up to a foot deep to muddy shoreline I would reccomend duck potato, burreed, arrow arum,. The great thing about establishing some permanent natural foods is once its established you dont have to plant every year. It comes back. And the ducks love a good stand of natural foods. You can try wild rice but I have heard way more failures than successes including a number of my own. Good luck.

Yeah I have been researching a little more and found wild rice seems to be finicky. Duck potato sounds like it may be a good option. The pond weed sounds easy but I'm worried about it taking over the pond and I know it's used for fishing sometimes.

Any concerns about having cattle in the area when planting this stuff?

EDIT: Also - is it too late in the year to consider planting duck potato?

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
gone hunting -
Its def not too late to plant duck potato. I have planted it all the way till late summer. As for cows, they may eat the duck potato I am not sure. If you have ducks or geese on their now they will do a number on the duck potato for sure when you first plant it so try to keep em off it. Good luck.

Sapperman

Spike
For duck potato, I would suggest putting some chicken wire or something to prevent geese from getting it.

They got all of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk