2016 Trappers Education Opportunities

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The NCTA will again host trapper education classes across the state at the following locations and dates. Please sign up online.

The basic trapper education class is a half day, free course offered through the hunter safety program in partnership with the North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission. The course consists of an online class/test (yet to be finalized) that will be required to pass before attending the field portion. You will need to bring a copy of your online certificate and give the instructor in order to get your certification, card, and patch at the conclusion of the field portion. The field portion will take place from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. (drinks will be provided for free and donated by NCTA but lunch will not be provided). This half day class will provide an opportunity for students to see in-the-field demonstrations of land and water sets and fur handling by experienced trappers. Some of the topics covered in the basic course include: trapping regulations, trapline safety, furbearer species, traps and equipment, variations of sets, fur handling, and Best Management Practices (BMPs):
www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/LearnResources/BestManagementPractices.aspx

NCWRC and the NCTA will be hosting trapper education courses across the state at various locations. As classes are added, I will update this thread but you can check on class availability at anytime by clicking on the following:

https://www.register-ed.com/programs/northcarolina/46-north-carolina-hunter-education-workshops

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Please note: This is the first class using a new format for the class that requires an online module to be completed prior to the 1/2 day field portion of the class. The 1/2 day filed portion is now scheduled and available for sign ups. The online portion will be communicated to each person registered as soon as the links are available.

Wake County Class is now OPEN for registration.

Wake County
Saturday, April 2,2016 9:00am - 1:00pm
WAKE COUNTY WILDLIFE CLUB =====>https://www.register-ed.com/events/view/76208
1313 COLEY RD.
DURHAM, NC 27703

This is the first class using the AFWA (Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies) Trapping Manual

There will be an online module to complete at home.

Students will bring their online completion certificate to the 4 hr field day April 2nd, 2016.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mountains:

Marion Fish Hatchery
645 Fish Hatchery Road
Marion, NC 28752

May 21, 2016

Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education
1401 Fish Hatchery Road
Pisgah Forest, NC 28768

TBD

Piedmont:

Wake County Wildlife Club
1313 Coley Road
Durham, NC 27703

April 2, 2016

Alamance Wildlife Club
584 Wildlife Club Road
Graham, NC 27249

July 16, 2016

Coast:

Not yet scheduled.

For more information on the Basic Trapper Education courses offered by NCWRC and the NC Trappers Association contact:

Todd Menke, Education Coordinator
e-mail: minkster1971@gmail.com

I will try to keep this thread updated as courses are added.

But you can check on course availability anytime by clicking on this link: https://www.register-ed.com/programs/49?

Scrappy

Button Buck
Do they ever offer these classes closer to Charlotte? I know absolutely nothing about trapping, but I would really like to reduce the coyote population on my property.

Thank you.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There was a class in Lexington earlier this spring and it is possible that another may be scheduled. I suggest you go to the NCTA website and look on the Contacts page to determine who the Directors are for your district (we use the same district structure as the WRC). Send them both an email inquiring about the possibility of a basic trapping class in your area.

Most of the classes are set up by the volunteer instructors and many of them are members of the Board of Directors for the NCTA. I usually set up at least one course each year in District 5.

Scrappy

Button Buck
So I reached out to the district 6 guys. They were very responsive. Spoke with Terry. Signed up for the 7/16 class. Thanks again for all of the info.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Reminder: The class in Alamance Co. is July 16. If you want to attend, you need to get registered and get the online portion done!