Chessie pup

gnorris74

Spike
Looking to get my first pup this summer. Looking for a chessie breeder within 4 hours of Charlotte. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sapperman

Spike
http://www.deadriverretrievers.com

Great guy and great looking dogs. I got a pup from him last year.
5a13a99c2e6cb563c6d21c5d8a9abba0.jpg
d49fd57e008a94c160ea8ece0d19c1a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunpowder

Four Pointer
Chessies are strong and will work forever. You need to have the time to wear them out almost daily. They Are never happy waiting at home for your day off or just a daily walk on concrete around a neighborhood. Don't know your situation but if you can't work that dog most people are better with a lab.

ducdogz

Spike
GNorris74, sent you a PM.

Chessies are strong and will work forever. You need to have the time to wear them out almost daily. They Are never happy waiting at home for your day off or just a daily walk on concrete around a neighborhood. Don't know your situation but if you can't work that dog most people are better with a lab.

shurshot

Ten Pointer

Very good info above. :cool:

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Another good one. Lab thinks my owner feeds, waters, and walks me. He must be a god. Chessie thinks my owner feeds, waters, and walks me. I must be a god

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Comparing chessies to labs is like comparing horses to mules. Each have their loyal following and each can be great at whatever they are trained to do, but Horses and labs only want to please their owners and are usually require a owner with as much sense as the dog has. With Chessies and mules, the wheels are always turning and require a owner smarter than they are.

labman63

Ten Pointer
I have trained two of them and treated them no different. Went thru FF easy and ended up nice dogs. dpoutdoors on here has one of them.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I think the stubbornness of a chessie gets blown out of proportion. They're demeanor makes it seem that way. My lab had a quirk or two that I never could train out of her. 13 years of training her, that's stubborn. My new chessie is just less "bubbly" about it when she refuses. Still like to blame it on that "chessie" stubborn streak.;)

BuckMark

Spike
The best dog I ever had was a Chessie. He was stubborn, and he certainly didn't handle well for for many other folks. He wasn't mean or aggressive, but he had a very small circle, and outside of a few people he merely just tolerated everyone else. I'm not saying as a breed they are any worse or better than another, but that dog and I had an understanding, and in the field he was more of a hunting partner. He seemed to be listening out of a hard earned trust rather than out of duty. That dog has been gone for 12 years, but I still wake up early sometimes on a Saturday morning and expect to see him at the bottom of the stairs looking to load up.