Favorite lures for small mouth

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Smallmouth on the Holston are easy period..... It's hard to beat 100+fish days.

P.....I....G.......E......O..........N...............

Where else in a day of fishing with stonerollers, can you catch 50+ smallies with usually a handful over 20", catch 4-8lb channel cats, and walleye over 20".. Not to mention the occasional largemouth and citation redbreast!!!! All the while never wading more than 300yds..........

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
P.....I....G.......E......O..........N...............

Where else in a day of fishing with stonerollers, can you catch 50+ smallies with usually a handful over 20", catch 4-8lb channel cats, and walleye over 20".. Not to mention the occasional largemouth and citation redbreast!!!! All the while never wading more than 300yds..........

Wow! Sounds like an amazing fishery there

showtime

^^^^^ This. Have caught some really nice fish at Philpott and Lake James doing this.

i never really fished the pott always wanted go down there throw f11s at night for walleye you ever caught any there?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I made a trip to WV, FIL's house on the Bluestone River. While they were socializing I grabbed a little ammo bag of tackle from the shed and a short, open faced spinner. Tied on a little crawfish-colored tube jig and just waded, nothing much over my knees. I'd never fished for smallies before and the next hour was more fun than I've had fishing in awhile. I fed the crowd for supper that night with smallmouth and red eyes.

wademaster

I made a trip to WV, FIL's house on the Bluestone River. While they were socializing I grabbed a little ammo bag of tackle from the shed and a short, open faced spinner. Tied on a little crawfish-colored tube jig and just waded, nothing much over my knees. I'd never fished for smallies before and the next hour was more fun than I've had fishing in awhile. I fed the crowd for supper that night with smallmouth and red eyes.

Love that area. Great smallmouth fishin'.

showtime

Have caught quite a few walleye in the winter on jigging spoons while smallmouth fishing

congrats man everyone i know says the winter is super hard to fish for them there. anyone i've heard of doing any good with em pulls crawler harnesses during the summer. Id like to try to go during alwife spawn at night. did it before on smith mountain for stripers throwing f 18s did really well and caught nice bass too doing that. figured be same at philpott just downsize lure for the walleyes.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
congrats man everyone i know says the winter is super hard to fish for them there. anyone i've heard of doing any good with em pulls crawler harnesses during the summer. Id like to try to go during alwife spawn at night. did it before on smith mountain for stripers throwing f 18s did really well and caught nice bass too doing that. figured be same at philpott just downsize lure for the walleyes.

Have not done the night alewife spawn at sml in many years. Used to go there on regular basis in the early eighties.We always used jointed redfins on top. Slow steady retrieve. Caught everything stripers,walleye,lm bass, sm bass even catfish. Hooked a large musky one night but did not land it .Caught my first citation walleye there with a redfin on top, never knew what was gonna blowup on top

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Have not done the night alewife spawn at sml in many years. Used to go there on regular basis in the early eighties.We always used jointed redfins on top. Slow steady retrieve. Caught everything stripers,walleye,lm bass, sm bass even catfish. Hooked a large musky one night but did not land it .Caught my first citation walleye there with a redfin on top, never knew what was gonna blowup on top

Did you ever heat and bend the bill on those jointed redfins to make them run more shallow and wobble more? Good times! :)

<>< Fish

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have been waiting on this guys smallmouth report, his waters had been too high until recently. This is a low fish count for him. Using midwest finesses (Ned Rig). From Travis Meyers, paw paw west virginia.

Summary:
"I ended the float with 53 smallmouth. Every one was taken with a Mud Minnow colored TRD with a 1/16th oz chartruece gopher jig head.

A TRD is a zman bait close to the size of the half sections of zinkerZs rthat we started using years ago. It's about three inches long.

You guys on our rivers will kill them with this set up . KIll them.

No more dozen fish days with the Ned rig in play!

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
'My three day fish count was 213 smallmouths, 11 largemouths, 26 rock bass and 11 bluegills.

all on a 1/32 gopher head and a mud minnow colored TRD."

Smallmouth action as reported on the midwest finesse blog.

and this is from WV rivers. Ours are surely better?

Point being get that Ned Rig in after the smallies.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you guys buying the z-man jig heads and trd's at locally? Bass Pro didn't have them.

at bass pro buy the strike king zero and cut it in half. it is the same as a zinkerz which is the basis for the TRD. both the zero and zinker and trd are manufactured by zman.

purple haze color in the zero is a killer. Not sure in raleigh on the jig heads. try the original gopher mushroom heads if you go online. they are a one man show but you'll get the jig heads quickly and they are Ned's favorite. Try the blood red color.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I would strongly suggest going downstream of the confluence of the South Fork and North Fork. Above that the fish are small, and it gets a ridiculous amount of pleasure boater pressure.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This is what a chartreuse spinnerbait will get you, this way you don't mess with all the little runts in the river.
DSCF3590.jpg

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got a chartreuse spinner bait and ordered some mushroom jigs to run the ned rig.......hopefully you fishing monkeys know what you're talking about cause if I don't catch anything it sure won't be my fault when I tell the story! :)