training my dog

adamwayne

I had posted a while ago about training my almost 2 year old black lab. She knew basic commands such as sit and stay. Some guys said it would be extremely hard to train a dog of her age but she has done AWESOME! My wife said no way am I to drop her off at a kennel so training her was all up to me. I have watched a lot of videos and talked with a lot of very knowledgeable guys. I was nervous about getting a training collar but I'm really happy I did. Its a night and day difference. She has come such a long way in just under 2 months. There is no doubt in my mind that she will be ready come this season. I still have a lot to do with her but she is our pet first and a working dog second. Training her has also seemed to calm her down, she's not as hyper and crazy as she used to be which is nice. Its so cool to watch her progression over time!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats! It's my understanding that the key to "training a dog" is to first teach them HOW to learn. This is done while teaching them the basics, which your dog had already been taught.
I'd compare it somewhat to riding a bicycle. Teaching a 40 y/o that's been riding since age 6 how to pop a wheelie is a lot easier than teaching it to a 40 y/o that has never been on a bike.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I started training my last retriever when she was two. Don't worry about the age. Sounds like your off to a great start. Post a picture of her first duck

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Soilman is correct, there is a period of time early in a dogs life where learning is essential, in that stimulating there brain increases their potential many years down the road. If you don't do this early in a dogs life, they will not have the ability to reach the potential of others dogs that have.

adamwayne

Ya shes doing awesome. I love working with her and just watching her learn. I will def post one of her with her first, cant wait!

ducdogz

Spike
Good Luck!!! I will be attempting furthering the training on my 2.5 yo female after she weans her pups. She pretty much received her AKC JH on natural ability. Hoping to achieve SH and MH doing the rest of the training myself.

adamwayne

Good Luck!!! I will be attempting furthering the training on my 2.5 yo female after she weans her pups. She pretty much received her AKC JH on natural ability. Hoping to achieve SH and MH doing the rest of the training myself.

How does one accomplish that?

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Lot of work and a decent dog

Amen to that! I'm not gonna knock Jr. hunt test at all because to pass, dogs need basic obedience training and the desire to retrieve. But stepping up to Senior and then Master requires serious training that would be best done in the presence or guidance of experienced people. I'm running a good 21 month old dog who picked up his 3rd Sr. pass yesterday under some blustery conditions. If not for the training/help we've been fortunate to be part of, we certainly wouldn't be where we are now. And I know it's going to be even more demanding when moving to Masters, even though we've been training on a lot of those type marks and blinds. So if you have a good dog, don't be afraid to solicit help from those that train for that type of stuff. It's well worth the money and time no matter how much one thinks they know.

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
So, how has the training been going for those doing it? Been mighty hot lately.

Last edited:

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Same here.Training right before dark when the heat isn't so bad. Dog still gets pretty hot after only a few long marks

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Watched the dogs run the hunt test up at Rocky Point (near Wilmington) this weekend. Heat index near 100 and no breeze Sat.. First series of Masters test featured 3 land marks and 3 blinds, the last being a short water blind. To my surprise, the dogs handled it well but it took a lot out of them by time they were into the blinds. Some handlers, however, decided to "scratch" their dogs due to the heat. They obviously didn't want to push their dog's limit. Sunday was hot but very breezy. Water series with only 2 short marks and a diversion pickup was easy on the dogs. Big difference in the dog's attitude from previous day.

Keep'em cool and sessions short ...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Watched the dogs run the hunt test up at Rocky Point (near Wilmington) this weekend. Heat index near 100 and no breeze Sat.. First series of Masters test featured 3 land marks and 3 blinds, the last being a short water blind. To my surprise, the dogs handled it well but it took a lot out of them by time they were into the blinds. Some handlers, however, decided to "scratch" their dogs due to the heat. They obviously didn't want to push their dog's limit. Sunday was hot but very breezy. Water series with only 2 short marks and a diversion pickup was easy on the dogs. Big difference in the dog's attitude from previous day.

Keep'em cool and sessions short ...

I was there Running my dog in juniors, I might have saw you and didnt even know it.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I watched a little Juniors both days also. Had a friend run his dog (Joy) and got her passes. Hope you did well.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Yep,,,,black. She is not a fan of the heat. Big difference in her desire on hot days. Last yellow I had was a super high energy dog, He would get hot but didn't affect him much. That dog lived to retrieve no matter what the weather was. My last brown dog was much like this black she would do whatever you asked when it was hot but her heart wasn't in it like when the weather is cooler

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I watched a little Juniors both days also. Had a friend run his dog (Joy) and got her passes. Hope you did well.

We did, Got passes both days. One pass away from a title. I'm sure I saw him run. I watched almost every dog. I had the Big yellow English lab

labman63

Ten Pointer
Worked 6 dogs in the water yesterday evening then went and ran land blinds and water blinds with my FT dog before dark.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
We did, Got passes both days. One pass away from a title. I'm sure I saw him run. I watched almost every dog. I had the Big yellow English lab[/QUOTE

Yep, I remember seeing him getting ready to go to the line Sunday. I tend to notice yellows more ... :)