Anyone Remember or Fished With

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I had almost forgotten about the Hildebrandt fishing lures, used to catch quite a few Crappie behind the Holt's Lake dam back in the early sixties on the small spinner baits.. I think on the package it said, "we sold your Grandpa"...John J. Hildebrandt made fishing lures a long time back in the 20th century. One bait I remember by Hildebrandt was the "Shady Lady". The Hildebrandt factory was finally sold out according to an article I read to the Chinese,, I guess they still make Hildebrandt fishing lures..

Soooooooooo many bream and crappie fell to a Hildenrandt spinner. I think you are correct on them selling out to the Chinese, which is a shame.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I just looked up the dancin eel and realized that there is one in a bass' mouth on the wall at the shop. Dad said that it was the closest that lure ever came to a bass.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
We used to murder the bass on Jordan on the Dancin Eel in the 90's........also OS, the Whopper plopper is pretty awesome on bass.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Taw Caw Creek was another favorite Crappie hole for us. Good trolling for Stripers at times and Catfishing as well...

Good old Goat Island and Gin Pond fishing there in Taw Caw. I miss fishing Santee Cooper! Fishing with Pete Pritchard for stripers and crappie and with Don & Joe Drose chasing big catfish. Ever fish Sparkleberry Swamp? The top water bite for bass was as good there as any place ever in the early spring.

<>< Fish

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Good old Goat Island and Gin Pond fishing there in Taw Caw. I miss fishing Santee Cooper! Fishing with Pete Pritchard for stripers and crappie and with Don & Joe Drose chasing big catfish. Ever fish Sparkleberry Swamp? The top water bite for bass was as good there as any place ever in the early spring.

<>< Fish

My cousin and I fished Sparkleberry Swamp many times. In spring the Rimini area was our favorite place to fish. We used to also go over by Low Falls Landing on the Santee River and catch White Bass off the sand bars . We murdered the White Bass with Panther Martin's.. We miss fishing Santee as well. I knew both Don and Joe Drose I hear Don has retired and Joe Jr. has been retired for some time now. Their Dad Joe Drose senior got a friend of mine and I off Lake Marion the last day he lived when we had motor trouble fishing for Stripers one day many years ago..The next day Mr. Joe was dead of a heart attack, it was sad to hear..

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
For any of you wantingto bring back your jitterbug memories, try the latest rage in topwaters the whopper popper or pomadour top water baits.

i laughed a friend off the whopper plopper the first time he brought one out.

I do not laugh any more. it catches bigguns and they crush it when they bite it. it is so simple to fish. throw out, wind it, hold on.

you saltwater cowboys do not want any big reds to see this thing. :)

chris lane rides whopper plopper to 2nd place at toledo bend. it'll really take off now. :)

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article/7573/topwaters-cranking-flipping-all-produced#.Vz3RAvkrKUk

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Supposedly he bought all the whopper ploppers at one local store lol. I think it's already well on the way to being mainstream around here over the past year. Big bass tour on Norman was won on it last weekend.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Supposedly he bought all the whopper ploppers at one local store lol. I think it's already well on the way to being mainstream around here over the past year. Big bass tour on Norman was won on it last weekend.

Hmmmmm> you might want to reconsider your lure choice this weekend, especially given saturday is low light all morning. Good Luck.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Hmmmmm> you might want to reconsider your lure choice this weekend, especially given saturday is low light all morning. Good Luck.

Oh I will have it tied on, along with a wake bait. Low light, full moon and water temps = great shad spawn bite. Also will have a spinnerbait at the ready. Later in the day I'll be throwing a bream squarebill, shakey head and ned rig.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Oh I will have it tied on, along with a wake bait. Low light, full moon and water temps = great shad spawn bite. Also will have a spinnerbait at the ready. Later in the day I'll be throwing a bream squarebill, shakey head and ned rig.

some friends that compete there alot say you have to avoid the shakey head "trap" 2.5 lbers that are fun and plentiful but just not enough come weigh in.

just throw that WP all day and win. :)

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
some friends that compete there alot say you have to avoid the shakey head "trap" 2.5 lbers that are fun and plentiful but just not enough come weigh in.

just throw that WP all day and win. :)

Yea my buddy couldn't shake those 2.5 lbers in the Big Bass tourney. It's a kayak tourney based on length so I'll take 4 2.5 lbers and walk away with some cash :p. I know all about the fun with the shakey head out there.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer

<>< Fish

Never bass fished Santee, but I have deer hunted along every creek/place mentioned in this post. I too, miss Santee.
Sorry about the hi-jack.

Last edited: