What is considered a "good Christian"

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I used to go to church on a regular basis, but after my long time pastor and friend passed away in 2013, I have not found another pastor that I thought was as good as him. Do you think you must attend church on a weekly basis to consider yourself a good Christian? Another point to question, especially among us younger generation folk, can you consider yourself a good Christian if you have never read the bible cover to cover? I pray to God every night and thank him every morning that he wakes me up, but I have never read the bible in its entirety at 22 years old. I just decided on my birthday last weekend that I was going to read the bible from one end to the other before my next birthday (I am a horrendous slow reader).

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
First of all it isn't for man to decide whether or not you are a "good" Christian. That is between you and God.

Just some advice that I would give anyone on reading the Bible. Reading from cover to cover is not an incorrect way, any time spent there is better than no time spent there, but I would advise doing it with a study guide. The Bible is not written in chronological order, especially the OT, for the most part the NT is in chronological order after the book of John. This can sometimes be confusing to a new reader going from Genesis to Rev. Find yourself a good study guide, YouVersion is an apt and they have a good study guide that takes you from OT to NT each day. BibleGateway.Com is another great study source that you might want to look at. Thumbs up on your decision to study the word and blessings in your efforts.

espino225

I used to go to church on a regular basis, but after my long time pastor and friend passed away in 2013, I have not found another pastor that I thought was as good as him. Do you think you must attend church on a weekly basis to consider yourself a good Christian? Another point to question, especially among us younger generation folk, can you consider yourself a good Christian if you have never read the bible cover to cover? I pray to God every night and thank him every morning that he wakes me up, but I have never read the bible in its entirety at 22 years old. I just decided on my birthday last weekend that I was going to read the bible from one end to the other before my next birthday (I am a horrendous slow reader).
I encourage you to pray about what Church to attend, therefore I do believe it's important to attend church as frequently as possible, not because it makes you a "good" Christian, but because Jesus calls us to. Not to be in a. Church building but to be a part of the CHURCH, Jesus' bride. the building is just a place. As you read the Bible ask God to show what he needs you to know as you begin to do his works. That's the real reason we're here. I would advise to begin reading in John, kinda gives a good explanation of who Christ is. hope I helped.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
I encourage you to pray about what Church to attend, therefore I do believe it's important to attend church as frequently as possible, not because it makes you a "good" Christian, but because Jesus calls us to. Not to be in a. Church building but to be a part of the CHURCH, Jesus' bride. the building is just a place. As you read the Bible ask God to show what he needs you to know as you begin to do his works. That's the real reason we're here. I would advise to begin reading in John, kinda gives a good explanation of who Christ is. hope I helped.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm going to decline to go to church with you if you don't know the difference between the body of christ, the church, and his bride, the nation of Israel. Pray for yourself and reject the lies of the established church, that church doctrine is elevated above truth, before telling anyone else what to pray. Don't tell me, you also believe the doctrine of the trinity and bunnies lay eggs.

One of the greatest travesties of the church is that they lack a knowledge of the truth. (Hosea 4:6)

The simplest answer to the OP is "love the lord thy god with your whole being, and your neighbor as yourself." When we put God first, everything else falls into place. You don't need a pastor, worship God in all you do. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just to piggyback off of what others have said.... I think God created us to be in fellowship with one another. I would encourage you to find a Bible based church that encourages small groups and fellowship with other believers. Surrounding yourself with like minded believers will be very beneficial to your walk and growth in Christ. BTW there is no such thing as a "good" Christian, we all fall short of the glory of God.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of good stuff in this thread, lots of encouragement to fellow Christians which is what the Bible tells us to do.
Each of us are individual children of God who make up his Church, and we can do best for ourselves and others in groups of more than 2 or more. If that weren't the case then Jesus wouldn't have been so specific in his instructions for worshiping Him.
There are none of us that are righteous, no...not one...we can only strive to be more like our Saviour until that one day when we will be like Him forever. I feel often like I am like a great man of the Bible when he said that he was chief among the sinners, but I know that even then I have been forgiven and will stand at the feet of my Savior when it's my time to depart.
Love your fellow man, that's what we are told to focus on...tough instructions, probably the hardest thing in life to realistically do....but that's the charge we are given and what we need to do.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I'm going to decline to go to church with you if you don't know the difference between the body of christ, the church, and his bride, the nation of Israel. Pray for yourself and reject the lies of the established church, that church doctrine is elevated above truth, before telling anyone else what to pray. Don't tell me, you also believe the doctrine of the trinity and bunnies lay eggs.

One of the greatest travesties of the church is that they lack a knowledge of the truth. (Hosea 4:6)

The simplest answer to the OP is "love the lord thy god with your whole being, and your neighbor as yourself." When we put God first, everything else falls into place. You don't need a pastor, worship God in all you do. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Are you a jesus only pentecostal? That is one of the more bizarre sects of the christian myths. I would rather believe in the easter bunny than submit to your cult of legalism and bizarre fundamentalism.

Or are you a jehovahs witness? Even worse.

To the OP, be really careful asking advice on the web about your faith. I am an agnostic and would give better advice than the poster i am quoting. If you are a christian, get back in church. Just not a jesus only church. Not a watchtower church. Run from those, dont walk.

If it doesnt teach grace from beginning to end, you are going to never do enough to satisfy them. Been there, done that.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"Good Christian" isn't even in my vocabulary.

But, being part of a local body of believers is not only a command (an issue of obedience), but the way God designed believers to live, and grow in their faith. Reading through the NT, you will see over and over that our faith and our walk with Christ is not a solitary journey. It is not merely a "personal matter" as our 21st Century American culture would argue. It is a joint venture where we are encouraged and edified by others, and that's always the way it was designed to be. Biblical faith in Christ includes BOTH a personal relationship AND corporate worship to follow the design set forth in scripture. I'm not talking about salvation, I'm talking about following God's design for your walk with Christ.

There are those who disagree, but if you will read and follow scripture, you can discern for yourself. Ephesians 4, 1 Corinthians 12, Hebrews 10

Last edited:

EGrdneck

To call someone a good Christian is a misnomer. You can go to church every Wednesday and twice on sunday and still burn the gates of hell wide open, it's evident in every church. I don't think one could ever truly be a "good christian" "christian" itself means little Christ, for me to consider myself a "good little Christ" would imply that I have reached the peak santification and I consider myself righteous. When clearly the Bible states that not one is righteous. If I had to define what it means to be a "good Christian" I would say "a good Christian is someone who admits they sin, admits the need Jesus, accepts Christ into their life, work to carry out the great commission, admits that they are not righteous, admits instead that they are blessed to be loved by a God who cares so much that he sent his only son to take their place in the cross" essentially that fits anyone who has accepted Christ into their heart, and are working to have a relationship with him, and who are living a life of forgiveness and repentance. In short as ZG said it's not my place to determine your level of being a Christian, it's my place to make disciples out of believers...

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Explain yourself and try to dig yourself out of the hole you've just made.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I have to say that I don't understand NCGunDude's comments either. Way over my head but then my head isn't that hard to go over.

EGrdneck

I'm lost as well....struggling to see how the church (a body of believers therefore the body of christ) can have no knowledge or a lack thereof....

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
Explain yourself and try to dig yourself out of the hole you've just made.

I'm not the one digging holes. However, on what part do you need elaboration, the body and the bride, and the false doctrine of the trinity? LMGTFY.

Here's the bride of christ, http://doctrine.org/the-bride-of-christ/, "The bride of Revelation 19 is Israel, not the Church, the body of Christ, since the Church is nowhere in the book."

K, so assuming you're really questioning my skepticism regarding the doctrine of the trinity, I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and vice versa. Anecdotally, my own observation is that eighty percent of church goers either don't understand the doctrine, and of those that do, they don't care. Twenty percent vehemently support it, against all common sense.

Why would God Almighty, creator of heaven and earth and all that is in them, establish the laws of nature, where if you or I were to have a son, is that son you? No, of course not, that's ridiculous. So is saying Jesus is God. There are simply far too many common sense arguments to support Jesus Christ is part of what God created, and not God himself. This isn't heresy, blasphemy, or idolatry. Quite the contrary, it's the doctrine of the trinity, man's doctrine which is all of these things.

There, now I've dug a hole.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well all I know is Jesus died for my sins and I'm reconciled to my Father through him... ya'll can have all that other stuff, I'll take Jesus and his grace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I'm not the one digging holes. However, on what part do you need elaboration, the body and the bride, and the false doctrine of the trinity? LMGTFY.

Here's the bride of christ, http://doctrine.org/the-bride-of-christ/, "The bride of Revelation 19 is Israel, not the Church, the body of Christ, since the Church is nowhere in the book."

K, so assuming you're really questioning my skepticism regarding the doctrine of the trinity, I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and vice versa. Anecdotally, my own observation is that eighty percent of church goers either don't understand the doctrine, and of those that do, they don't care. Twenty percent vehemently support it, against all common sense.

Why would God Almighty, creator of heaven and earth and all that is in them, establish the laws of nature, where if you or I were to have a son, is that son you? No, of course not, that's ridiculous. So is saying Jesus is God. There are simply far too many common sense arguments to support Jesus Christ is part of what God created, and not God himself. This isn't heresy, blasphemy, or idolatry. Quite the contrary, it's the doctrine of the trinity, man's doctrine which is all of these things.

There, now I've dug a hole.

Yes, you have. You oversimplify and misteach and poorly explain the trinity doctrine and by so doing have indeed put yourself in a hole. gracious.

As posted earlier, John 1 and numerous other texts indicate that the bible's authors believed jesus had no origin, that he was in the beginning. So, your having an earthly son analogy, respectfully, doesnt apply.

the watchtower had to intentionally falsely translate John 1 to support their anti-trinitarian views. Are you reading a mistranslated bible from the watchtower.

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
John 1 puts that to bed.

Not even close, but no amount of discussion on here is going to solve the issue.

Well all I know is Jesus died for my sins and I'm reconciled to my Father through him... ya'll can have all that other stuff, I'll take Jesus and his grace!

Technically, it's the grace of God, and therein lies the problem of confusing Jesus Christ and God Almighty, but I knew what you meant ;)

Just when I think I've heard it all .......

Only because you've never heard, or don't believe the truth. Do you confess Jesus as Lord and believe God raised him from the dead? Then you are saved, made whole. Everything else is arguing over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Yes, you have. You oversimplify and misteach and poorly explain the trinity doctrine and by so doing have indeed put yourself in a hole. gracious.

As posted earlier, John 1 and numerous other texts indicate that the bible's authors believed jesus had no origin, that he was in the beginning. So, your having an earthly son analogy, respectfully, doesnt apply.

the watchtower had to intentionally falsely translate John 1 to support their anti-trinitarian views. Are you reading a mistranslated bible from the watchtower.

Jesus Christ is the stumbling stone that the builders rejected. You reject Jesus and the truth, you whited sepulcher. My analogy applies. The answer to your question is, No. But I understand you have a need to label things. The doctrine of the trinity is a doctrine of men, against which we are warned. You're the one misteaching, either out of ignorance or malice, and you will be held accountable, as we all will. Whether or not you believe the doctrine isn't the point, you're not going to change your mind and I'm not going to change mine, but I suggest you do some soul searching before you go launching accusations about false teaching, especially as it regards this topic.

No one wants to take me up on the body of Christ, the bridegroom, and the nation of Israel, the bride? Come on, there's lots bible experts in here.

God bless

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not even close, but no amount of discussion on here is going to solve the issue.

Technically, it's the grace of God, and therein lies the problem of confusing Jesus Christ and God Almighty, but I knew what you meant ;)

Only because you've never heard, or don't believe the truth. Do you confess Jesus as Lord and believe God raised him from the dead? Then you are saved, made whole. Everything else is arguing over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Jesus Christ is the stumbling stone that the builders rejected. You reject Jesus and the truth, you whited sepulcher. My analogy applies. The answer to your question is, No. But I understand you have a need to label things. The doctrine of the trinity is a doctrine of men, against which we are warned. You're the one misteaching, either out of ignorance or malice, and you will be held accountable, as we all will. Whether or not you believe the doctrine isn't the point, you're not going to change your mind and I'm not going to change mine, but I suggest you do some soul searching before you go launching accusations about false teaching, especially as it regards this topic.

No one wants to take me up on the body of Christ, the bridegroom, and the nation of Israel, the bride? Come on, there's lots bible experts in here.

God bless

And you're certainly not one of them. You need to burn the tracts and allow the perspicuity of Scripture alone guide your thinking. And while you ingest the Bible, consider your own salvation and examine it.
With those aberrant views, you're should wonder if you have learned the grace of God in truth. I'll be praying that God leads you into truth and begins to steer you away from error.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer

If you really believe this, why did you hijack this poor guy's thread with "everything else" as a prerequisite of fellowship?

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Welp, this thread went much deeper than I had originally anticipated. I did not mean to start a dog hunting thread, as Mr. Gadget had suggested but merely see what anybody's opinion on the topic was. Thank you all for your responses regardless of which side of the debate you stand on.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To add or take away anything from the Word of God will( not can or may) result in chastening or punishment.
Better to believe as it was written. The KJV is the closest that modern man can get , the other versions have been modified to fit someones agenda.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
To add or take away anything from the Word of God will( not can or may) result in chastening or punishment.
Better to believe as it was written. The KJV is the closest that modern man can get , the other versions have been modified to fit someones agenda.
you talking the original king james version as translated for the church of England or the edited version we have today? Many bible scholars would suggest the new American standard is a better translation of the original. I think it's a stupid argument and not helpful to a person that is struggling to find their way. As well as theological debates....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you talking the original king james version as translated for the church of England or the edited version we have today? Many bible scholars would suggest the new American standard is a better translation of the original. I think it's a stupid argument and not helpful to a person that is struggling to find their way. As well as theological debates....

For most of us that don't read Hebrew, Greek, Latin ect...we are restricted to reading the version that is available to most of us. There are a few things that bear interpretation, but for most people with a good concordance it's a book that pretty easily understood.
I was mostly inferring that the versions that have been interpreted for a particular denomination or cult should not be the ones used to base scriptural interpretation on, as they have their own agendas.

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer

^^^^^^^ this, well stated Moose

drum3rguy

Eight Pointer

Care to offer up some examples? Just curious. I love the KJV. I grew up reading it and a large majority of Scripture I have committed to memory is in that translation.

BUT, I also have respect and admiration for many of the other translations. What many people fail to realize is that we have a much higher number of existing manuscripts today than were available in King Jimmy's day. Therefore, we can make more accurate translations to MODERN language.

Yes, there are differences in the modern translations that are good to know while reading. Some are word-for-word translations (NASB, ESV) while others are "thought for thought" (such as the NLT - my personal favorite). If you want the absolute literal translation, then you will have to learn greek, hebrew, aramaic for yourself and figure it out. But, we don't have to. There are great, GODLY people doing great work in this area already.

Are there some translations that have more of a liberal slant? Sure. The NRSV is one that comes to mind. I reference it occasionally, but with the realization of the slant.

Anyway, I would love to see some examples of how modern translations have been made to fit some group's agenda, and why the KJV is the only correct translation. I hear that it is the same Bible Jesus used, but Abraham Lincoln said to not believe everything you read on the Internet.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Care to offer up some examples?
Sure, there are several examples, but a few that come to mind are the LDS version of the KJV which is also used at times by the JW..it's called the "authorized" version of the KJV, The many different versions of the Catholic Bible which denounce the KJV...and the many modern translations that either leave out or mistranslate scripture altogether.
The KJV is the only version that I am aware of that has been "tried" by multiple groups of scholars in blind testing against the original scripts of the times and found to be the most accurate translation that has withstood the tests of time.