Maybe no swamp next year?

WilsonHunter04

Eight Pointer
Well this past hunting season, the water level in my main swamp got really low, like 1-2 feet lower than normal. Its really disappointing to see this, I'm not sure what has caused, but I feel like water is not getting to the area like it used too. There is still water and its definitely huntable, but where when it used to be a swampy/pond, now its just a open dried swamp with a small water hole area. As I said this is very disappointing, but I'm just hoping for the best that it gets straightened out for next year. The land owner said that this is the lowest he has ever seen it get, which isn't a good thing.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Did beavers move on? With all the water last year swamp levels should have been good unless other factors were at play

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Sometimes it simply means that they have built a new dam (an additional dam) upstream of you. There may still be a dam downstream, but if there is one upstream that just stopped your inflow. Has happened to me a couple of times. If that's true and the new upstream dam is on your landowner's property, then you can bust it up and problem solved (or just hunt above the new dam) However, I wouldn't bust it up now. Having a drained swamp in the Spring / Summer is a blessing. Lots of new growth and vegetation. Plus if the oaks are dry this Summer, they might drop acorns this Fall.

If there is a new dam upstream and it's on different landowner's property, then you might have a problem. You could always reach out to that landowner and ask if you could bust up his beaver dam this Fall. He might not want a swamp on his land and might welcome your help.

Last edited:

WilsonHunter04

Eight Pointer
I have had a run-in with the neighboring land owner because he has people who lease the land to deer hunt, so it is possible he may have done something, but i'm not sure what he could have done, if his land is upstream? I have rode on either sides of the land on roads that have bridges that connect to the same swamp, and it seems like the water is just not getting there like it used too.

Crash

The state is paying trappers to remove nuisance beavers that block important water flow. Does this swamp feed a towns drinking water?

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
Is there a canal or a water source near you? You could always use a pump and get water back into yours. We have a canal by my swamp, beavers came and built a damn and left. So we busted a trench open, drained all my water out and dug a ditch in the swamp. Put a pipe in the trench with a pipe that I control the dept in it on the water side then dug a trench on the dry side to the canal. She was beautiful till youngers found out it and started hunting it and jump shooting it while me and all my buddy's were at work or in college..

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yeah it could be a number of things. Most likely not getting the water you once were or what was holding you water in was gone. Need to strap on some boots and do some investigating. Like Gadwall, not a terrible thing for a spring/summer draw down to get good duck food if you can figure out whats causing it to get water levels back to normal come fall.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Gotta be a dam upstream somewhere and you might also have a "leak" somewhere. If you didn't hold water this past season after the record rains we had then you've got an issue.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Had one of my swamps get crazy low couple years ago and couldn't figure out why. Found out later that DOT busted out a major beaver dam many miles away that obviously was a part of the water shed.

Last edited:

Vaughn

Spike
this stinks man, I'd be disappointed too...as hard as it is to find a good swamp around the house, I'd hate to loose a good one

WilsonHunter04

Eight Pointer
this stinks man, I'd be disappointed too...as hard as it is to find a good swamp around the house, I'd hate to loose a good one

Yeah I know man it does suck. Luckily I have a couple other places I can go, but they definitely don't compare to this particular spot.