Curtain Blind Hunting

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I am trying to look into setting up a hunt next season for some curtain blind hunting, but some of the information I have found is outdated and have not been able to get a hold of a couple of those guys. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to whom as well as their phone number? PM me if you like, but would love to try this hunting out of possible.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Ken Dempsey...in Hatteras. He doesn't start taking reservations until around Labor Day, so no real need to call him now unless you want to book a fishing trip with him. You can also email him...just look up his website and all info is on there.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Good luck getting a guide, they stay pretty booked up with repeat customers. It is a neat experience though to shoot them at eye level!

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Good luck getting a guide, they stay pretty booked up with repeat customers. It is a neat experience though to shoot them at eye level!

i have tried for three years and cannot get one to call me back or answer an email. Even went to Ocracoke and asked one, to no avail. already booked up.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I got lucky last year and snagged an invite,,,,it was a fun hunt

Good luck booking one,,,,

straightline

Ten Pointer
I may have an opening if you and Ingram want in. It will be a while before I know dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Just make sure you are definetly going on a curtain blind hunt. Got the old bait and switch a few year sback. Buddy talked me into going on a curtain blind hunt. Ended up we were set out in a standard open water blind. I wasnt happy nor was he bc he asked numerous times if that was the type of hunt we were going on. I can do that myself, the only reason I went was to experience a type of hunting I cant do on my own. I was kinda pissed. Those guides have both types of blinds so make sure you lock in a curtain blind

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
the do use both types of blinds, especially if weather is just too bad for the curtains,,,,,,

Last edited:

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Just make sure you are definetly going on a curtain blind hunt. Got the old bait and switch a few year sback. Buddy talked me into going on a curtain blind hunt. Ended up we were set out in a standard open water blind. I wasnt happy nor was he bc he asked numerous times if that was the type of hunt we were going on. I can do that myself, the only reason I went was to experience a type of hunting I cant do on my own. I was kinda pissed. Those guides have both types of blinds so make sure you lock in a curtain blind

This has happened to me before also. The weather definitely was not a problem on this hunt as it was slick as could be.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yeah weather wasnt a problem for me either. It was nice. Didnt kill much.
Would like to do it one time though. Seems like early in the year is good or when they hit some weather it can be really good around there.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

curtain blind hunts are very weather dependent. if it is blowing much the guide isn't going to put hunters in a curtain blind. The curtain needs to be kept as low on the water as possible and if its windy and choppy it is impossible to do. We have been several times and some times we cant hunt the curtains due to weather. but the stake blind hunts on those days are phenomenal if the birds are here. had one Friday on Ocracoke that we had to hunt stake blinds because it was blowing so bad that the ferries stopped running. but man the redheads and pintails were thick and moving.

Like has been said, if you aren't already 'in' with a guide, you aren't going to get in with one. Wade Austin is probably already booked for the next 5 years with repeat customers and Russell is the same way.