Muskie coming to Yadkin-Pee Dee River

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like things are still on track to stock some muskie below Kerr Scott Lake in Wilkesboro this fall.

Tiger muskie were stocked in the river in 1981 and a few fish were caught below the lake.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does this mean you can use your new rod now, since your retired your old one that never caught one.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah it can go back to catching carp and catfish.

I figure once folks find out muskie are being put back in the Yadkin, folks will complain.

I can hear the bass and catfishermen squawking now.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Beat the hell out of that dead horse.

On a side note, your chances at some cowgirl or double cowgirl action are probably the same as before they stocked 😐.

If you have to look it up or ask, you need to know more about "life" and musky fishing....;)

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah it can go back to catching carp and catfish.

I figure once folks find out muskie are being put back in the Yadkin, folks will complain.

I can hear the bass and catfishermen squawking now.
The didn't bother them the first time and there are bigger and more predatory strains of cats in there now. They are pretty much a non issue to the catfishemen. As to the little green fish fishermen, well let them complain.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm not mistakes they been putting them in NC New River section for while now no problems and can't say I've caught one in there either

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
The NC new river musky go straight to Virginia. Ive talked to Kevin Hining, the northwest region biologist and he said they tagged some and tracked em straight to Mouth of Wilson. They very rarely shock one up in NC. He also mentioned the yadkin deal. The problem there is so much river and so few stocked fish that survive to adulthood. Maybe 10 years from now there will be a fishable population. As far as eating smallmouth, they sample stomach contents during shocking and find more birds than smallmouth. They also dont outcompete smallies for food. The catfisherman needent worry either. There will be very little overlap in those two. Musky will stay in the coldest possible water and never survive down past, say, 601 area.

From what I've been told the musky stocking is in order to control the sucker population. Smallies and suckers don't coexist very well, and the thinking is if they can think out the suckers the smallie population will expand.

I do know one guy that has caught 3 muskies out of the New in NC, one of which was in the south fork.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
How long ago was that?

It may have been Mack in NC, im not sure, but i saw a report where one was caught in the S Fork but it was several years back. Im not saying they arent in the S Fork, but there arent many, and it would be a waste of time to target them there. Not enough wintering water to hold many.

How long ago was that?

It may have been Mack in NC, im not sure, but i saw a report where one was caught in the S Fork but it was several years back. Im not saying they arent in the S Fork, but there arent many, and it would be a waste of time to target them there. Not enough wintering water to hold many.

It was last July. Bunch of us were doing a float down the south fork chasing the midget smallies. I'm pretty sure he put a short video of the catch on Youtube, I'll have to see if I can find it.

I agree, it wouldn't be worth the time or effort to target them there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Ashe Larry , Possumtail had me right but evidently the story got changed a little bit. I have never caught a musky. But, one day back in the 80's when I fished the South Fork ALOT I was wading in waist deep water on the SF and was killin the small smallies. Hooked one maybe 10-11 inches if I stretched it and I was reeling it in and was in the process on reaching for it to lip it and a musky probably 20-25 lbs comes right at me and grabs my smallie. I fought this musky maybe for a minute on my ul to my line snapped. so, a musky will eat a smallie.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
We've had muskies hit/eat smallmouth we were in the process of winding in.

We either end up with a snapped line or a ragged/shredded smallmouth still on the line.

This was near Radford Va.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...