Fish I.D???

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Took my boys fishing in a heavily wooded pond here in Stokes Co this evening. I've never seen a fish like this one... Body of a thick bream and a mouth like a crappie.
c7705237533c8d1e1e90c011f21b737f.jpg
142ad55d1c50e4acc52d2ae81a5577d2.jpg
dba0e3e6d788dd3862fb591478cffd6c.jpg

Sam managed to get in on the action with some crappie, bream and some smaller bass.
4be7311fcccd9b220beed7d0a7bdd098.jpg
6888da3353794d054a96abda1e9484d1.jpg

They even let me catch a few. Lol

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Warmouth

Looks like everyone had a great time!
Yep, many people mistake green sunfish for them when they are small. Especially in muddy/stained water where the green sunfish's colors tend not to be very prominent. But Justin pegged this one.

They are strong fish, good eaters and excellent flathead bait. ;)

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Hey no problem, lot of guys here are on both sites. I just did not catch where you have the bream and crappie reversed.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Good eating. They don't fight but for what seems like a few seconds then roll over on their side. Another colloquial name for them down East is "goggle eye perch".

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
We call ' em mud chubs...but warmouth is correct!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We used to call them Mud Chubs also up in JOCO, nice ole Warmouth.. There used to be a lot of them around but over the years fishing the White Oak River we have only caught one..Some nice fish there them boys caught looks like a fine outing..

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I have caught warmouth on lures bigger than they were. They're aggressive little fellers. And then when you get up into the mountains, we also have rock bass. They're fun fish to catch:

Attachments

• rockie1.jpg
    rockie1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rockie2.jpg
    rockie2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I've caught what I thought were warmouth from Belews Lake but they were a lot smaller and not as dark as the one my son caught yesterday.

It does resemble what I call a "redeye" that we catch in the New River.

Thanks for the info fellas [emoji1360]

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I've caught what I thought were warmouth from Belews Lake but they were a lot smaller and not as dark as the one my son caught yesterday.

It does resemble what I call a "redeye" that we catch in the New River.

Thanks for the info fellas [emoji1360]

They are kinda thick through the middle like a redeye, and like all the bass varieties, they are in the sunfish family.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
a green sunfish should not be insulted by confusing it with a warmouth. they will pull a warmouth inside out if you hooked them up.

and the greenies bust a bug even better than brim.

that one is a nice warmouth smith -stokes, looks like a great trip.