Even Better Day Bow Fishing

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Little brother and I went to Rhodhiss again yesterday bow fishing. Day started off pretty slow but being as persistent as we are things began to warm up considerably.

Just before noon we eased into a cove with what appears to be a small stream of water coming in at the back end of the cove. We could see and hear carp working in the weeds floating on top of the water but are still dead. We picked off a few in the weeds and a few more as they came out of the weeds heading to deeper (safer) water. A bit later we worked our way around to the narrow clear channel thru the grass more or less blocking their escape. At times both of had fish on and some did manage to get by/under the boat but it was frantic for a few minutes.

As the day wore on things were not as frantic and the carp seem to have started avoiding those grassy areas in the back of the coves. We were seeing the largest carp we have seen. Most of them would go in the 10 - 15 lbs range. I think we got two that were less than 5 lbs. We hit but lost almost as many as we got in the boat. They would get tangled in that dead grass or branches on trees that had fallen into the water and if they got fouled where there wasn't any give in the line they would tear loose before we could get them untangled and into the boat.

When we got back to the pickup at the boat ramp we were unable to lift the barrel out of the boat to put it into the bed of my pickup. When we got home we ran a pipe thru two holes at the top of the barrel and lifted it out of the boat with the front loader on his tractor.

Wound up with one grass carp, 22 lbs and a very good common carp 18.6 lbs. Total weight was 181.67 lbs. Goes without saying we were both worn to a frazzle. LOL.

The coyotes should have a "fish fry" and eat well (or smell fishy) tonight. LOL. I divided the fish between two different bait piles.

I got about 6 hours of video on my GoPro camera. Also got some photos on my cell phone camera before the battery died. Shame that I can't post some of the photos. Video clips were mostly about 12 minutes long. Not sure why the camera would stop filming a video at about 12 minutes then immediately start a new video without me turning the camera off or having to turn it back on. Camera was mounted on a head strap so lots of movement and often compounded by wakes from passing boats but still some good videos. Might be a couple of expletives on the videos also when we missed an easy shot or when a nice one tore loose. LOL.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a great day!! Been shooting some redhorse suckers on creek behind my house with my son! We need to head to the lake soon!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
You know how many Hmong friends I'd have up here if I had that many carp? I was getting the stink eye toting two up the trail the other day and not sharing lol