2016/17 seasons set

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Wonder why they changed this? Never seen dates released this early in the year. I guess guides will be filling up quickly if I had to guess.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Wonder why they changed this? Never seen dates released this early in the year. I guess guides will be filling up quickly if I had to guess.

The feds changed the way they are releasing the guidelines, so the states are releasing their dates early as well.

JD1107

The feds changed the way they are releasing the guidelines, so the states are releasing their dates early as well.

I wonder if the state will start accepting draw hunt applications earlier now that the dates have been set.

Last edited:

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I wonder if the state will start accepting draw hunt applications earlier now that the dates have been set.

If I had to guess I would say they will draw for waterfowl hunts at the same time they do deer and bear. I know the hunting regs that will come out later this summer will have all the hunting seasons in them instead of the separate waterfowl regs coming out later.

JD1107

Not sure why they changed the youth day ages. Most 16-18 year olds who are participating in youth days are also hunting throughout the season. Does that mean that those hunters 16-18 have to be with an adult like in the past when it was 16 and younger??

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I assume that is the case. I guess they are attempting to get more kids involved. I know some kids we took last year will be happy to know they had two more years. I think its under 18, so 17 years old and below.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Pretty standard seasons. I like the way it is now and hope they never change it. Sorry for you sea duck hunters but I guess they needed some less intensive hunting.

Is it october yet??

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pretty standard seasons. I like the way it is now and hope they never change it. Sorry for you sea duck hunters but I guess they needed some less intensive hunting.

Is it october yet??

biggest problem with seaducks is lack of data historically,,,

they needed to shorten that season as they have been hammered from what I have read,,,,don't get to hunt them as much as I'd like

JD1107

I assume that is the case. I guess they are attempting to get more kids involved. I know some kids we took last year will be happy to know they had two more years. I think its under 18, so 17 years old and below.

"Youth age 17 & 18 must be properly licensed, must have HIP certification and a federal duck stamp and must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or older."

Like I said it doesn't make sense why they included 17 and 18 year olds in the youth days. If they have a license, HIP cert, and stamp then they're most likely out hunting the same amount of days if not more then "adults" 19+. Why give them 2 more weekends to hunt? I know it may sound selfish and most are saying its to expose more kids to hunting, but like I said most of the 15-18 year olds particapticating in youth days are the same individuals who hunt throughout the year because they're old enough to drive. They're also the ones who many complain about as being newb "duck commanders" that set up to close, Sky bust, and show up 10 minutes before shooting time.

Im all for exposing youth to the outdoors and hunting, but I personally think youths 17 and younger shouldn't be allowed to hunt throughout the regular season with out the supervision of an adults 18 or older that is licensed. They can't legally purchase the gun or ammunition to shoot it but we put it in their hands to go run around the woods with.... I know that there is a lot of responsible individuals that may be able to handle hunting on their own, but it's clear that many can not handle it and take the short cuts or easy ways to harvest animals because they don't have that adult supervision to guide them. Short rant I know but we all see a lot of kids ages 15-18 who are motivated to learn how to fish/hunt, but don't have the guidance to do it ethically on their own.

One example of a group of youth hunters that shouldn't have been hunting on their own with out adults was from the video snakeskinner posted up. If there was an adult with that group of hunters with any common sense none of them boys would have been walking across that ice chasing ducks, heck they probably wouldn't even allowed the youth hunters to take those shots knowing it would be impossible to retrieve the dead duck. Like I said I'm up for exposing youth to the sport but in a positive way that's gonna help the sport in the long run.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't get it. How can the feds set the framework before they survey the breeding grounds?

they announced in December that they were going to a single stage process where they use the previous years data to set the season,,,gives them more time to analyze the data,,,,,,yes it will be interesting to see what happens if there is an off year on breeding

http://flyways.us/content/using-new-process-setting-game-bird-hunting-seasons-usfws-proposes-2016-17-migratory-bird

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Wonder if now they will be able to apply for skeet youth hunt and also late season hunts as well? Speaking solely of the 17-18 year olds

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Wonder if now they will be able to apply for skeet youth hunt and also late season hunts as well? Speaking solely of the 17-18 year olds

I put my stepson in with me on draw hunts all the time. Year before last he got drawn for the skeet youth hunt and 2 regular draw hunts with me. I too am curious if he can put in for the skeet youth hunt also since he "aged out" last year.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Should have worded that different. Mainly speaking of applying for skeet youth and also late skeet draw hunts. Seems like double dipping if this is allowed. I know you can hunt multiple times as guests of a drawn party or do the standby draw but you are only allowed one shot at the late season draw per person under the old regs

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
After looking at the NCWRC website the youth hunt change is for 16-17 year olds and does not include 18 year old which makes a little more sense to me

Cripplecreek

Six Pointer
"Youth age 17 & 18 must be properly licensed, must have HIP certification and a federal duck stamp and must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or older.". .
I think they're is a typo somewhere. Based on the link 18 year old's are not allowed to hunt.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I put my stepson in with me on draw hunts all the time. Year before last he got drawn for the skeet youth hunt and 2 regular draw hunts with me. I too am curious if he can put in for the skeet youth hunt also since he "aged out" last year.

Good question coach. I'm gonna guess that they will be able to apply since the age change was enacted by the Feds and skeet is a NWR hunt. The NCWRC actually administers the draw so maybe they will let them only put in for one or the other. Double dipping (as in regular draw hunts) should get them knocked out.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Good question coach. I'm gonna guess that they will be able to apply since the age change was enacted by the Feds and skeet is a NWR hunt. The NCWRC actually administers the draw so maybe they will let them only put in for one or the other. Double dipping (as in regular draw hunts) should get them knocked out.

Don't know if it would get them knocked out or not. The year Ayden was drawn for the youth hunt I also put him in my party for the late season draw hunts there as well. Of course we didn't get drawn for the late season hunt, which I'm starting to believe is a myth since I've put in for it for a decade and haven't got sniffed, but he didn't get knocked out of the youth hunt for putting in with me.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Don't know if it would get them knocked out or not. The year Ayden was drawn for the youth hunt I also put him in my party for the late season draw hunts there as well. Of course we didn't get drawn for the late season hunt, which I'm starting to believe is a myth since I've put in for it for a decade and haven't got sniffed, but he didn't get knocked out of the youth hunt for putting in with me.

At skeet one person applies and if drawn you can take 2 guests, so on that particular hunt he was not listed with you in your party when you applied

shurshot

Ten Pointer
At skeet one person applies and if drawn you can take 2 guests, so on that particular hunt he was not listed with you in your party when you applied

Had he put in for both hunts using his WRC customer #, he might have been dumped just like they would if you applied that way for the regular season hunts. This is "new territory" for Skeet this year, I'm sure they will let public know what the protocol will be for "youth/adults" applications.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Yep. I was speaking strictly of the late season hunts there. My boys aged out 20+ years ago. They carry all the gear now so the ol man can still hunt there.....haha

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
When I've been lucky enough to go, we still carry more in than our bodies (at our age) are suppose to. But last time we had a 25 year old "pack horse" with us that wanted to as
much as he could. Needless to say our pride didn't get in the way of our young man's desire ...

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer

Hi, If you checked the harvest book for this year you may consider yourself lucky you were not drawn. There were a couple of hunts in which one or two of the blinds did ok. For the most part is was very slim pickings. The experience of hunting the lake is awesome, however, do not expect to kill many ducks. i bet the average for the year was less than one duck per blind per day.

Jmac

If I read the set dates right is it not showing 4 splits? That would be a 1st

skydog

If I read the set dates right is it not showing 4 splits? That would be a 1st

What do you mean? Unless we're talking about something different, three splits is the norm. I actually don't think the Feds allow more than three splits...

Jmac

What do you mean? Unless we're talking about something different, three splits is the norm. I actually don't think the Feds allow more than three splits...

Like I said, I may be reading it wrong but in the left column it shows Oct 5-Oct 8 AND Nov, 12 -Nov 19 then in the right hand column it reads Nov21-Dec 3 and then Dec 17-Jan 28........so to me that shows 4 splits