Harris skunks killin my ego

windsor396

Button Buck
Holy crap, been gone for a bit and not been aable to fish. Bought bass boat, now I cant even catch a log at harris. I want bass, both yesterday and today I didnt catch anything worth putting on the scales.
I fished jigs, cranks, chatter, senkos, spinners, craws, Tx rigged u tales and zoom worms in all shapes sizes and colors. I used my graphs for temp and depth changes and fished alot of underwater cliffs, logs, christmas trees, any structure I saw. Shallows around greenery, rocky bottom areas.
What am I doing wrong? Arggh. I hate being skunked and have been trying to figure out what I am doing wrong..
Both days on water around 0630.

This is my phone. There are many like it but this one is mine.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Holy crap, been gone for a bit and not been aable to fish. Bought bass boat, now I cant even catch a log at harris. I want bass, both yesterday and today I didnt catch anything worth putting on the scales.
I fished jigs, cranks, chatter, senkos, spinners, craws, Tx rigged u tales and zoom worms in all shapes sizes and colors. I used my graphs for temp and depth changes and fished alot of underwater cliffs, logs, christmas trees, any structure I saw. Shallows around greenery, rocky bottom areas.
What am I doing wrong? Arggh. I hate being skunked and have been trying to figure out what I am doing wrong..
Both days on water around 0630.

This is my phone. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Haven't bass fished much the last 2-3 years but it seems I recall always having a slow down around this time of year as the bass bed up and spawn.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Maybe you just changed lures too much and didn't put your faith in one of them long enough? Best bass lure of all time is a Dark plastic worm with just enough weight to get to the bottom. Bounce it off the bottom.. If you can't catch a bass on that then either you can't fish or they aren't biting that day ;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you should have been able to catch them fishing around beds you could see. fry guarding should be in play by now down there. floating worms and flukes are some good choices.

with those clouds saturday it really should have been a shallow deal.

But all this is speculation. it's easy to tell someone else how to catch them. :)

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lots of people love Harris. I'm not one of them. I've landed my PB there but out of all the times I've fished it, and that's a lot, I bet I haven't reeled in 10 fish.

The NC angler forum hosts a lot of people who do well on Harris so that may be a place for you to check out.

GCbassin

Ive been to Harris twice. Last yr first week of March and caught a slot on a shakey head in a cove. It was cold and a front moved in the day we went. This year on March 31. Caught 6 fish, 3 slots. Few females were on beds, some crusing and others were males. Wacky rigged and texas rig. If you go after 12 PM, it gets tougher. Not an expert by any means, but knowing what fish are doing and location, plus time of year will dictate what you throw. You mY have hit a post spawn funk, depending on when you showed up.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My best luck this time of year comes on what I call a "fluke". I'm not sure the actual name of the bait, but that's what I call it. Just a soft bait that kinda looks like a minnow.

I rig them weed less and no weight. Fish them slow, bounce them, walk the dog...they are my favorite bait other than top water in the summertime. I'm not an expert and don't bass fish often, but I've rarely seen these fail.

gonefishing143

I fish Harris out of my kayak so I don't get too far from the ramps but the places I do fish produce bass. Under the hollerman's bridge I have good luck fishing the pads with a frog (smaller works better IMO and before the vegetation got really thick I had good luck running a ribbit frog. The blow ups were tremedous. About a week ago I caught about a 9 lber using a black/blue chatter bait rigged with a shiner paddle tail swim bait. I was throwing along the weedline in about 5 - 8 foot of water. This was up in the Cary branch. If all else fails, my favorite bait is a carolina rigged Zoom UV speed craw in green pumpkin. I often throw them Texas rigged into the weeds sometimes on a shakey jighead or even weightless. Good luck!