Recommend a good camera

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer
Looking at getting a good camera to start taking pictures with. Tired of cell phone pics. Wanting something nice but don't want to have to take out a loan to get one either. Found a decent deal on a Nikon d200 is it a pretty good one for the money ?

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A Nikon D200 is plenty of camera, as it should be for the price of $1200. I've never had a D200, but I have owned several Nikons and they are fine cameras.

If you are new to DSLR photography, my suggestion would be to concentrate on lenses rather than the camera itself. The type of photography you want to do will dictate what kind of lenses you get. (And good lenses aren't cheap)!!

Best advice: its not how expensive the camera is, its how good a photographer is. That's what makes great photos!

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I have a Sony a57 its a good camera with the huge benefit of the ability to use old Minolta lenses with full AF support,, there are a ton of good auto focus Minolta lenses out there for cheap

I used a Minolta Max7xi for years,,, all my lenses work perfectly with the a57

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My wife bought me a Nikon D5100 a couple years ago for a birthday present. I really like it. Just with my basic knowledge of photography, I can make really nice pics. Ever since I nice my lil girl came along, I refuse to pay a photographer to take her picture. Pictures are awesome and look like a pro did it.
I really would be dangerous with it if I knew what I was doing. Haha

theguys I know who do professional photography use Canons. They have told me why they chos the canon over the nikons but there reasons are outside of my limited understanding of pro photography

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
If you are new to DSLR photography, my suggestion would be to concentrate on lenses rather than the camera itself. The type of photography you want to do will dictate what kind of lenses you get. (And good lenses aren't cheap)!!

Best advice: its not how expensive the camera is, its how good a photographer is. That's what makes great photos!

This^^^^^^^^

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
A few years back I purchased a factory refurbished Nikon D5000 that came with warranty. It was a lot less than purchasing one brand new from the store.
Check http://www.adorama.com/ to see if you can find a deal on what you want. An internet search may even come up with a couple coupon codes for the site.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Nikon D3200 is a great beginner DSLR camera. I would really recommend going with something like that under $500ish before you get into something more serious, just to make sure you learn how to use it and actually do. Once you master being able to shoot in Manual mode and never touch the auto mode again you will use it that way for a while then eventually consider something nicer, if you get that far. Check out youtube videos by a guy called Froknowsphotos or something like that, he has awesome tutorials. Its not necessarily buy a better camera and get a better photo. You will have to learn about shutter speed, iso, aperture, white balance etc.. I think its definitely a worth while investment to have a decent DSLR camera.

And yea I have also noticed most pros use canons as well. but like i said, that D3200 is all you need to start. Its like when somone gets on here and says hey I think I want to start bow hunting. A lot of times guys recommend getting a decent used bow or something like that to make sure you like it before going out and really spending top dollar on a bow and sight etc. And it wont be a waste either because you still have to learn how to use it and in the time that takes you will know whether or not DSLR photography is for you.

Last edited:

oteixeira

Four Pointer
Agree with the lens comments here. My wife has a Nikon D5000 (Nikon is a good brand), the body of the camera was much less then her go to lens, which is a Tamron B008N, it was voted best lens for a year or two back when she got it, and it is just a normal range (18-270mm), but was like 400 if I remember correct.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Dslr's are on the way out look at mirrorless. I just got a Sony I'm switching to from cannon. They are smaller, lighter, and have many more bells and whistles on the basic models. Just Google mirrorless and read about them. I went with Sony but Fuji is a good name as well

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I dont think dslr is on the way out, but mirrorless is on the up and up for sure. My next camera will be the flagship Olympus mirrorless

I have two Olympus dslr bodies and lenses for sale cheap if interested.