MV vs Flat John Boat

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looking boats in the 17 to 20' range.
One thing I found was some of the MV boats just had a small V up front nothing on the rib going all the way back. Others have a MV front and very small V all the way back.

On the other side of things you have a flat, not true flat like the swamp boats but ribs on the flat.
The nice thing on that is the boat is wide up front and you don't have a point or V that takes room away.

It gives you lot more floor space and lots more deck in the front.

So my question is this for those that own and run them.
Most the time the front is out of the water when running at speed, so the only thing I see is if the v goes all the way back.
Will it help, will it change the ride much.
You still have the ribs for steering help.

So most flats would run like a carolina skiff (not V) or better because of the ribs correct.

Found a Alweld marsh 1756 and 1856 flat with floor I like.
Problam is no one has them in the water to try one then the other and drop the cash same day.
Not going to waste someone's time trying a boat that is used and no real plans to buy.
Found a few boats used but newer ones are within 1k to 3k of new and have extras I do not want of need.

They want to add In all the gear, jackets, floats, anchor, blinds or covers at retail.....

I have 10 anchors I do not want your 100$ anchor and rope or want it added in. Plus I have no kids and dont need a package that includes toys and 2 to 3 jackets that are worth 50$ each because you paid for them with the boat.
Then the others that look at their BOS that has all the taxes, doc fee, tags and the likes..... Then stateing I will be paying 2k less then they got it neww and they never used it......
Show them where I need to get tags, titles, use tax on the trailer....... Making it the same for a 2yo boat as new.....

People dont get it.

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer
I think you will like the alweld. I bought a 1652 flat last year and so far I love it. I'd be happy to take you out in it one day if you wanted to ride in one before you buy.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you buy a completely flat bottom you better not have ANY back trouble or better not take it out if there is much more than a ripple on the water. That Mod. V isn't much but when you make a 20-30 min run it makes a heck of a difference if it is even slightly rough. A true flat will ride like setting in middle of the floor in the bed of a pickup truck going down a washboard road. And the smaller the boat the worse they ride.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
If you plan to run in any amount of chop you will appreciate the modified V. I went from a flat bottom Tracker Grizzly 18' to a Mod-V Allumacraft 18' and it was night and day difference. The tracking/stearing was much better and I did not have to call the dentist if there was a moderate chop on the water. You will loose some space up front but it was never enough to give it a second thought.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you buy a completely flat bottom you better not have ANY back trouble or better not take it out if there is much more than a ripple on the water. That Mod. V isn't much but when you make a 20-30 min run it makes a heck of a difference if it is even slightly rough. A true flat will ride like setting in middle of the floor in the bed of a pickup truck going down a washboard road. And the smaller the boat the worse they ride.

True
most the ones are not a true flat.
Dont want that.
The ones I have looked at have several channels and ribs in the bottom.

I know what you are saying the old C skiffs that were flat would beat the crap out of you.
Then newer ones have some ribs in the bottom that help the ride and cut the smack.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you plan to run in any amount of chop you will appreciate the modified V. I went from a flat bottom Tracker Grizzly 18' to a Mod-V Allumacraft 18' and it was night and day difference. The tracking/stearing was much better and I did not have to call the dentist if there was a moderate chop on the water. You will loose some space up front but it was never enough to give it a second thought.

10-4
good info.
Also looked at the 1860 mv AC
they are on the top of the list with the alweld flat and MV

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Flat bottom is what you want on a mud motor or surface drive motor though. The do ride higher in the water.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
But the ones I see are called flats but not true flat.
They have all the ribs and keel on them.

Have not seen the Alweld flat in person to see if that has a keel or slick flat.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
10-4
good info.
Also looked at the 1860 mv AC
they are on the top of the list with the alweld flat and MV

If I still had my AC I would gladly offer you a test ride to get a feel for it. I got rid of it last Feb and went deep V in a fiberglass boat.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But the ones I see are called flats but not true flat.
They have all the ribs and keel on them.

Have not seen the Alweld flat in person to see if that has a keel or slick flat.
They have to have a keel or you won't turn them. But they won't have any modified V at all in the front. They will be flat just rolled up in the front.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Profile doesn't say where you are but I'm in Kannapolis and have a new AlumaCraft 1860 w/60 Merc and I'll be happy to take you out on a local lake.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I use a 1770 work boat that's a true flat bottom. It's set up for electrofishing. If you spend any time at all on big water, you better have your chiropractor on speed dial. I love the added space in the front but hate the ride in anything more than a "chop". I reckon I spend more days in a boat than most and I have access to just about everything. I'll take a mod v over a flat bottom everytime for handling and ride no matter the circumstances.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I use a 1770 work boat that's a true flat bottom. It's set up for electrofishing. If you spend any time at all on big water, you better have your chiropractor on speed dial. I love the added space in the front but hate the ride in anything more than a "chop". I reckon I spend more days in a boat than most and I have access to just about everything. I'll take a mod v over a flat bottom everytime for handling and ride no matter the circumstances.

Good info.
Will go longer for room and not flat.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Profile doesn't say where you are but I'm in Kannapolis and have a new AlumaCraft 1860 w/60 Merc and I'll be happy to take you out on a local lake.

Im in raleigh area.

May hit you up and go fish one day.
Cant remember, yours a SC or Cc or tiller
what kind of speed you getting. Come out of the hole fast?

Thanks

After doing some looking on base boats most add 300 to 400 to the cost of a motor to do a 50 or 60hp tiller they order all in that size with controls..
It is the same or not much more to have a CC installed or order it that way.

Only found one that orders tillers and no controls.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Im in raleigh area.

May hit you up and go fish one day.
Cant remember, yours a SC or Cc or tiller
what kind of speed you getting. Come out of the hole fast?

Thanks

After doing some looking on base boats most add 300 to 400 to the cost of a motor to do a 50 or 60hp tiller they order all in that size with controls..
It is the same or not much more to have a CC installed or order it that way.

Only found one that orders tillers and no controls.

Mine's a Merc 60 4 stroke w the Big Tiller and with the 17 degree pitch prop on it now it planes in about 2 boat lengths. I feel like I need to drop to a 15 degree with added cup to pick up the 400 rpm's that it's short with the 17. It's runs in the high 40's/low 50's as it sits but I'm short on RPM's by 4 to 500..... Holler when you can go one day....

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have a 20' G3 and in a small chop, it will knock the fillings out of your teeth. I wish it had more of a vee to the bow.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have had an 17' Express tunnel hull CC, it is a flat with the ribs on the bottom. I bought it for fishing the Tar River in and around Rocky Mount and Tarboro. I wanted a flat because on this section of river every inch of boat not in the water is crucial. I also did a lot of flounder gigging at the time and wanted the wide front deck. On bigger water a good ripple will vibrate filling in my teeth out. It will handle a modern chop pretty good for a flat and is drier than any MV or 3 degree V I have ever rode in. If it starts white capping I'll just ease along cutting the wave diagonally. It have fished the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, Hampton Roads, Oregon Inlet, Pamlico Sound, Pungo River area and even in the Atlantic. I have had it in some 4 and 5 foot crap up on Hampton Roads when the heavy pulling tide against a stiff wind. I wondered why all the boats scattered, it caught me by surprise, but we made it out.

If I was going to fish only on open water with good depth such as coastal rivers, sounds and lakes I would get the 3 degree V. Flat ribbed and smooth have their place, where the MV would have you wanting. MV's is a flat that will soak you in chop, with out the wide front deck.

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
2X what DRS stated. My boat is one of the most stable boats for fishing and will float in 6" of water. Great for skinny water, Bass fishing, rivers, and fly fishing. Not good for open water with a chop as it is a rough ride and there is some wave slap noise. Although, I do listen to the radio while top water fishing for Bass.