Weyerhaeuser

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
They're merging some plants with another paper company. Doesn't affect leases for 2016/17, but expect changes in the following year.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Attention Weyerhaeuser Hunting Clubs
Just received this e-mail about the new dog running permit.

Big Game Dog Permit
2016-2017

Weyerhaeuser Company

North Carolina

Weyerhaeuser
Company strives to be a good neighbor to adjoining landowners and provide an
enjoyable experience to all of our lessees.
For that purpose, we will require a permit for any club that intends to
use the aid of dogs to hunt any big game animal on any Weyerhaeuser Company
leased property. Permit is required for
any activity on Weyerhaeuser owned property involving hunting with, training or
recreationally running deer or bear dogs.

Expectations

Club members are responsible to read and understand the
overview, permit and any restrictions noted, if applicable.

Running deer dogs for any purpose will be prohibited on
leased property April 1st through June 30th.

Lessees shall be considerate of neighbors and not enter onto
adjacent property without permission.

Permit-holding clubs shall ensure their dogs remain within
their lease boundaries or areas specifically noted for dog hunting.

Weyerhaeuser Company may institute buffer zones for some
RLU's areas in which dog hunting, training or running will not be allowed.

Limitations may be
set on the number of days per week dogs may be used and/or the number of dogs
released on leased property as deemed necessary by Weyerhaeuser Company.

Weyerhaeuser Company reserves the right to issue or deny
permits at its discretion. Permits will
be issued based on RLU size, location and history with adjacent landowners and
clubs.

Club shall appropriately and timely address any issues,
complaints or concerns that may arise.

Permit may be revoked by Weyerhaeuser Company at any time,
at Weyerhaeuser Company's discretion and without any refund of lease
payment. Termination of permit will
prohibit use of dogs for any activity on leased property; still hunting may be
permitted.

Restrictions
or notes for your specific RLU are listed on your lease do***ent. Please review to ensure you understand the
expectations for each lease.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Lawsuits in South Carolina and Alabama involving Weyerhaeuser leases and adjacent landowners are what I heard initiated this action.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
They have been talking about doing this for a couple of years,its a two fold thing first smaller dog hunting clubs are on the way out they want smaller clubs to fold into bigger clubs were there are less likely to have major problems,easier to pull your lease if you have to many problems.The day of club leasing less then a couple thousand acres of Weyerhaeuser land to run dogs on is coming to an end.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's big news around here! Are they selling JUST the plant, or the land as well? I heard that IP is the one buying the plant, and I also know that IP divested itself of all the Champion paper company land it bought along with absorbing the Champion plant in Roanoke Rapids. Weyerhauser owns a WORLD of land in the New Bern area.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Knowing what has been going on I saw this one coming. I would rather see this than them out right stopping dog hunting for deer on their property.

treestock

Four Pointer
Knowing what has been going on I saw this one coming. I would rather see this than them out right stopping dog hunting for deer on their property.

This. At least they're moving away from the direction of cutting dogs out completely.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
That's big news around here! Are they selling JUST the plant, or the land as well? I heard that IP is the one buying the plant, and I also know that IP divested itself of all the Champion paper company land it bought along with absorbing the Champion plant in Roanoke Rapids. Weyerhauser owns a WORLD of land in the New Bern area.

For what its worth they don't own the plant here in RR anymore.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I agree with this^^ but was curious if Weyerhaeuser was involved with the change to ban dog hunting in parts of Mississippi ? If so did it start like this?

treestock

Four Pointer
I agree with this^^ but was curious if Weyerhaeuser was involved with the change to ban dog hunting in parts of Mississippi ? If so did it start like this?

Anywhere DNR or corporate can con still hunters into leasing non producing tracts of land they're going to. The propaganda of the entire time I've had a pack of dogs, which ain't been but twelve years, is that dog hunting is nothing but trouble. They're setting themselves up to cover they're tail in the event that conflict comes up, to shut it down when necessary for their convenience

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The law suit out of SC pretty much started it all. Big bucks are lots of bucks($). The commercialization of deer hunting helped bring about this change. It had large numbers of people wanting to be a deer manager and kill B&C bucks. Leases started and have been steadily climbing in cost over the years and more and more the hounds have became taboo. Big money and politics has entered the realm of deer hunting.

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
The law suit out of SC pretty much started it all. Big bucks are lots of bucks($). The commercialization of deer hunting helped bring about this change. It had large numbers of people wanting to be a deer manager and kill B&C bucks. Leases started and have been steadily climbing in cost over the years and more and more the hounds have became taboo. Big money and politics has entered the realm of deer hunting.

True but I bet the average cost of each 150" deer killed on a trophy club in this state, would be close to $100,000 each if not more. These people who pay these big leases for trophy hunting are what I call wannabe trophy hunters. Don't get me wrong..I enjoy a good trophy hunt but you wont find me setting on a pine stump eat up with fire ants looking for a big buck. Heck most of the trophy clubs I have seen in NC haven't killed anything bigger than we get on trail camera on our dog club...that's a sign of what you can grow in this state. Some areas are better than others but for most of us...its not a option. I'm going to enjoy it while I can and do my part to protect it. I hope it out last my dads life because he really enjoys his hounds. I think any serious dog hunter knows we on barrow time already.

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
Red Plum is who bought up Weyerhaeuser, In Louisiana they sent out notices banning hunting hounds with deer IMMEDIATELY. Gave no notice to those folks. They already prohibit it here in NC from April 1 to July 1. Deer hounds only,,,,,,,bear hunters, fox hunters and small game can continue. To me this is just phase 1.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wind's out of the west today....I'm probably 10 miles east as the crow flies. Think the new owners can do something about the putrid smell?

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any of yall in clubs leasing from Weyerhaeuser hear anything or get anything in the mail about this? I know Med West Vaco (sp) down in the lower part of South Carolina sold out a few years back and several of the larger dog clubs were told they their leases would not be renewed.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I know of a few dog clubs that lost their land totally or lost their right to dog hunt before the process even began. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
bertie, where were these clubs at? I have heard of this happening to some of the clubs in NC around Richmond and Anson counties, maybe even other surrounding counties. This has also happened in other states including SC. It has been other companies as well as Weyerhaeuser.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I haven't heard of any of the clubs in the areas I hunt down east losing any dog hunting rights yet,I do know of several smaller clubs less than 3,000 acres that border each other merging together to form larger clubs.On the clubs I belong to we haven't had any issues with other land owners in a couple of years.I had only 3 problems last year while running bear hounds and all of the were about entrance issues on private land I hunt not hounds getting on someones land I didn't have permission to hunt.All of those were cleared up quickly when I showed the other land owners permission slips and copies of the deeds to the land I had permission to hunt showing entrance r/w and easements.I stopped going into areas to hunt years ago without having deeds and maps so I know exactly who's land I am on and more importantly who's land my hounds are on,doing a little research goes along way to prevent problems before they start and settle them quickly when they arise.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Both my clubs in Anson and Richmond lost dog running rights. This is old news up our way though, all this took place around here probably 5-6 years ago. I figured the NC coast was one of the last dog hunting strong holds in the south east. Seems like every year about this time of year you hear of 2-3 more dog clubs either lossing dog rights or told they had one more year left to run.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Let me rephrase and say that they lost dog hunting rights to hunt certain areas of the club. The other club lost the Weyerhaeuser land they had totally before the process was even started. All this has come about in the last two weeks. Both of these clubs were dealing with Weyerhaeuser too. I ain't talking about any other timeber companies. I'm not mentioning club names because I know where we stand when it comes to this site.

It about makes me want to sell every dang thing I got. I am 30 years old and you can't count on 2 hands how many Saturdays I have missed dog hunting since I was 5. Its sad but I feel it is coming to an end.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Hold tight Bertie, I'm sure changes are coming but I also believe dog hunting for deer can still and will exist in the future. I will say it all lies in the hands of the dog hunters, well for here and now it does. Maybe I'm wrong and that is just wishful thinking, I surely hope not because I would not know what to do, if it were banned.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Just found out that the club that lost their land was paying $14 am acre.

I wish there want 3 deer per square mile. You wouldn't see a dang out of town still Hunter around and lease prices would be affordable. I wish we could go back to the early 90s.

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
ECHA Board of Directors are meeting tonight on this issue, Im not at liberty to discuss right now but all im going to say is we better find a way to push out or reform the "bad apples" because change is coming,,,,,,,,,

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I honestly believe the ECHA is a good organization and intend on doing right. I am a member and after having concerns about a recent issue and communicating with them, I can say I'm glad to be a member.

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
So far the dismal is still good. We do have a huge club n hope that it holds for a long time. I can't imagine my winters without dog hunting. Been doing it for 30+ years we weeded out a few bad apples this year. Not many problems up there currently but things can change. Keeping fingers crossed that this American tradition stays here for years to come.

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
Weyerhaeuser has reversed their policy on no running from April to July to allowing ALL running year round. Please be mindful that this could possibly be a test session so lets do our best to show respect and be ethical houndsmen.