AR Receivers

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've got the fever lately to do an AR build. I know everything is readily available on-line; but would like to purchase a Receiver locally so as to not have to pay the FFL transfer fee from on-line shops. Any dealer locally sell Receivers? I like the reviews of Spikes but I am a relative newbie to the evil black rifle world so open for comments and suggestions.

When I say local - I mean Raleigh vicinity. And, unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend so can't make the Gun Show.

Thanks.
Took

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
I can't help you with someone local but in finding the opposite. That parts aren't readily available even online. I've been colecting parts for a build and haven't been able to get several things I need/want. I've had two cmmg lower parts kits ordered since January.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Check out Carolina gun runners.
They had uppers and lowers last I was there and all the build parts from cheap to high dollar

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I can't help you with someone local but in finding the opposite. That parts aren't readily available even online. I've been colecting parts for a build and haven't been able to get several things I need/want. I've had two cmmg lower parts kits ordered since January.

Where you ordering from.

I have not had any problems as of late to find all the parts.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the Carolina Gun Runners potential - I have not been there in a while and will check it out.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Red Line Defense, great guy to deal with. Home based ffl, in and out quick. I bought a few spikes lowers from him a while back.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
None of the small venders are going to have the parts when they are hard to find.
The big shops and places will have everything and fast turn around.

Im all for supporting the little guy but better deals and service is out there.
I picked up on some local deals on lowers for 49$ each.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
None of the small venders are going to have the parts when they are hard to find.
The big shops and places will have everything and fast turn around.

Im all for supporting the little guy but better deals and service is out there.
I picked up on some local deals on lowers for 49$ each.

You find me a better deal than $95 otd for spikes lowers then...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Like I stated I was paying 49 to 59 for mine.

Bushmaster and CMMG
I now have more than I need so have not been looking in the past several months but stll hearing they are out there.

Spikes is a name nothing more nothing less. Lots out there as good or better.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive got a spikes.... While its a really good lower and has some nice cosmetic stuff its really no higher quality than other mid level milled receivers. You pay alot for the spider/skull/punisher emblem from spikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Last ones I bought a few months back were andersons and payed $40 a piece for them.

Yep lots of good deals to be had.
I seen some of the andersons but went with CMMG, Barnes, and Bushmaster just because I had some already.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Well...im glad you have the hookup on the ffl stuff, I dont. Im pleased with the service and price for what I paid. Its worth a few bucks more not to pay admission and stand in line.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Well...im glad you have the hookup on the ffl stuff, I dont. Im pleased with the service and price for what I paid. Its worth a few bucks more not to pay admission and stand in line.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing.
you said show me and I did.

Now there are many FFL's that do 10 to 15 $ transfers.
If you buy from them some will do a few for free or let you do one transfer for the same price 4 to 5 guns one fee.

I like some of the mail order places as I can order the lowers and guns on line and pick the ship to.
Then pick it up at the dealer in a few days.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing wrong with what you are doing.
you said show me and I did.

Now there are many FFL's that do 10 to 15 $ transfers.
If you buy from them some will do a few for free or let you do one transfer for the same price 4 to 5 guns one fee.

I like some of the mail order places as I can order the lowers and guns on line and pick the ship to.
Then pick it up at the dealer in a few days.

Nice to know, I have always had to pay $10 each for transfer but its nice to know there are other options. My $10 guy is no longer in the business and pretty much everything on gunbroker is $20 each so I guess you see my predicament.

What are your thoughts on palmetto stuff? Im looking at building some 16" stuff as well as a pistol just for the heck of it.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Palmetto's stuff is solid, probably the best out there for the money. I've built two PSA guns so far (a 5.56 and a 7.62x39,) and they are good rifles. Killed two buck with the 7.62x39 last year. I would stay away from their PTAC line, though, and get the regular PSA mil-spec stuff. They have some really good sales on complete lowers often. The "blemished" lowers they have on sale a lot are almost impossible to find a blemish on, too, btw.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Palmetto's stuff is solid, probably the best out there for the money. I've built two PSA guns so far (a 5.56 and a 7.62x39,) and they are good rifles. Killed two buck with the 7.62x39 last year. I would stay away from their PTAC line, though, and get the regular PSA mil-spec stuff. They have some really good sales on complete lowers often. The "blemished" lowers they have on sale a lot are almost impossible to find a blemish on, too, btw.

I agree, the only drawback to PSA is the resale, gun guys generally know if they see a PSA it was a home build so alot will steer clear not knowing the guy that built it. Also home build means less $ on resale even with top notch triggers, stocks, and barreled uppers installed.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You can always tell a home build.
Many are best to sell parted out and not as a unit.

It is hard now to sell any AR used because the price on them for new name brands are cheaper or the same to build.
Rugers and Bushmaster along with others being 450 to 600 range new so why buy a parts gun.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I am working on my first build now. I feel the opposite about about buying vs. building. When you build, you know exactly what parts were used. When you buy these 500-600 rifles, no clue as to the quality of the parts used. You can build a 1300-1500 dollar rifle for less than 1000 if you plan according. I have a really nice one going for around 900. Not to mention the pride of knowing you built your own and know that rifle inside and out.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
But you are assembling parts you feel are best for you.

To me it's like buying an F350 body equipped with a Cummins and Allison combo. Buying the cheaper preassembled rifles you get what you get. Heck, a couple quick upgrades and you could have assembled a much better rifle for less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I agree, the only drawback to PSA is the resale, gun guys generally know if they see a PSA it was a home build so alot will steer clear not knowing the guy that built it. Also home build means less $ on resale even with top notch triggers, stocks, and barreled uppers installed.

I guess I'm weird, but I don't buy or build guns with the ultimate goal of reselling them. I'm not a gun dealer. I have sold or traded a few over the years, but I usually buy a gun because I want it, and intend to keep it instead of reselling it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I guess I'm weird, but I don't buy or build guns with the ultimate goal of reselling them. I'm not a gun dealer. I have sold or traded a few over the years, but I usually buy a gun because I want it, and intend to keep it instead of reselling it.
So you dont look for deals, sales and best bang for the buck?

I treat everyone as a stock or retirement savings account.
At some point they will all be sold, when I cant use them, retire, die.

So I invest only in guns that will be easy to sell off down the road and I or someone in my family can get a fast easy return on.

we are all gun dealers per ATF
if you buy and sell or traded anything in your life and made anything on it you are a dealer....

There are guns I want, but in some cases wait a few years to find a deal I know I could get return on it if I needed to sell this week or 20 years from now.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
So you dont look for deals, sales and best bang for the buck?

I treat everyone as a stock or retirement savings account.
At some point they will all be sold, when I cant use them, retire, die.

So I invest only in guns that will be easy to sell off down the road and I or someone in my family can get a fast easy return on.

we are all gun dealers per ATF
if you buy and sell or traded anything in your life and made anything on it you are a dealer....

There are guns I want, but in some cases wait a few years to find a deal I know I could get return on it if I needed to sell this week or 20 years from now.

Sure I always look for the best bang for the buck. I was commenting on the quoted comment about PSA lowers about not buying the best bang for the buck, because it doesn't have as much resale value. I am happy with the PSA stuff I've bought, feel like I actually got the best bang for the buck that I possibly could. Resale is a very remote priority to me in this case, as I intend to keep the PSA rifles I've built. If I was only worried about resale value, I'd only buy custom guns that I couldn't afford and would be afraid to use.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I think what most were saying was for tye same as a PSA lower that is a store brand, you could get name brand that will be around longer, better trade value, better resale in the event you want to sell.
Not really compare it to a high $ custom.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I think what most were saying was for tye same as a PSA lower that is a store brand, you could get name brand that will be around longer, better trade value, better resale in the event you want to sell.
Not really compare it to a high $ custom.

I guess what I'm saying is, having shot all brands of them and owned a lot of rifles over the years, I wouldn't trade any of my PSA guns even for a S&W, RRA, or comparable brands, and certainly no way for a Bushmaster or even some of the Colts. I have owned some of these and shot all of them quite a bit. Why do you think the PSA products are inferior and throw down on them? Have you ever actually owned or shot one? I think they are a lot better quality than most comparable in price, such as the Bushmasters or S&W M&Ps or DPMS. I built my last one for $450 by waiting on good sales at PSA, and it's entirely mil-spec with a Cold hammer forged FN barrel, and better components than I could find anywhere else for probably three or four hundred dollars more. Not "store-brand" at all. If I'm happy with it, that's what matters, not how much the label on it impresses someone else.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Because I own them and had several over the years.
They had screwed up barrels, gas ports, not milspec, and the list goes on......

But I did not say they were inferior, you did.

My point was brand name and value and down the road price.
BTW I have built many, worked with people that do it for a living and also have first hand use with many different guns, brands. Was in sales and repaired a many over 20 plus years.
So I have a little background in them.