Family Outing

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
Yes Roudball. They started nest building on March 8th. They've been fledged about 14 days. The female started a new nest yesterday.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
Yes Roudball. They started nest building on March 8th. They've been fledged about 14 days. The female started a new nest yesterday.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
I have some that size in my box now. Will the nest there now be removed for them to start a new one or will they reuse it

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
Clean the old nest out . If they do reuse the box, they will build another nest on top of the old one which is likely mashed flat, wet, and dirty. It will attract flies and bugs. To help keep healthy babies and promote better hatch, clean the old nest out and spray a little lysol in the box and leave it open for a day or so after they fledge to dry.

Brian N

Button Buck
2d3a39e0b38bf6303b5e598180f8a995.jpg

Found these this morning in a knockout rose that I've let get overgrown

57b28bf89eb1ae6649e9ea55adced422.jpg

And watched these guys everyday from hatching to leaving. This was taken Monday and they were gone Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian N

Button Buck
They were sleeping until I tried to sneak the phone over in there to snap a pic. The bush shook ever so slightly and they were up wanting to be fed. I kinda felt bad for waking them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Had this Rose Breasted Grosbeak and another Hummer show up today

If the larger finches have trouble perching on those short pegs you can get some 1/4" black rubber gas line, wrap a little strip of duct tape around the base of the pegs to thicken it up and then shove at least 2" of gas line on each peg. Makes it much easier for them to feed, but opens it up for mockingbirds and grackles, though they aren't too much of a problem. I feed sunflower chips and right now my bluebirds, two pair of cardinals and a pair of towhees are feeding their nestlings from the feeder. If the English sparrows ever find it like they did several years ago I'll go broke trying to keep it full.

Nice shots by the way. When my bluebirds fledge in the next few days they'll be scattered over the neighborhood in gum trees and maples and the adults will be running ragged trying to keep up with them.

old school

Six Pointer
Great photos of all those babies. Had my first ever RGB male show up. Sunflower chips were his target. Starlings and Grackles are laying seize to all my feeders.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice shots. My bluebirds first nestlings fledged over a week ago, I expect to see them back any day now. Also had a successful clutch of Chickadee's.

And 4 male Rosebreasted Grosbeaks visited my feeders this spring, but they seem to have moved on......