Wood duck nesting in one of my boxes!

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
I hung a wood duck nesting box I made for my pond at the beginning of the year. I've checked it a few times and it hadn't been used and I was getting kind of disappointed. Checked it this morning while fishing and there was a hen sitting on her eggs! I couldn't have been more excited to see the box being used. Opened up the door to find her in there, she didn't even fly away. It' makes me so happy to see the effort pay off, I'll be making more to hang next year for sure!

I have my trail camera set up on a tree by it, I hope to get some pictures in the next couple weeks, I'll post a few after they hatch.

Last edited:

Sapperman

Spike
5c450538478407896275f86463523e08.jpg

A few eggs but I think a few hatched already not sure if the rest will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I was very late hanging mine this year but hopeful. Checked last weekend and looks like a starling has taken up residence since it flew out when I lightly tapped the pole. I'll probably look inside it this wknd and dump any non-woodie eggs. Still have a few hen woodies hanging around.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
You can buy Bird house cameras online for these things. Not sure how you will be able to run them to a wood duck box but that sure would be cool. Also there is a way to do the math online and get a good estimate of the flydown date. Cant remember exactly what it was but if you do some googling and figure it out you might be able to see the little fellas take there first flight

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Good job. My dad will be visiting next week and it is our plan to build a few boxes to put out this fall.

wademaster

Wow. Very cool. There's a small and very wooded pond in the woods a little ways from my house that I hike to occasionally. I may try a box out there. Thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk