Will Wake Co. Explode?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Traffic was about the worse I've ever seen it on I-40 in RTP today. They were car parts scattered all over the lanes though.

South Florida/I-95 from Miami to Palm Beach (where I grew up) I am told is unreal now compared to 20 years ago. Unreal as in up to an hour to go 20-25 miles.

And I've never seen anything like weekdays in and around LA. I knew people who spent 3 hours a day commuting, and only lived 30 miles from work!

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Heard the Wake Co. county manager today say that the county was growing by 64 people per day. The estimate was that in the next 10 years it will grow by 250K, or, as he said, the equivalent of a Durham added to Wake Co. That is getting really crazy. Seems there are way enough people down there already. So................ where do they all go??????? UP?

Hey, we did our part LT. We both left Wake Co. and don't miss it one bit.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I live just south of the Granville county line, when we moved out here there were still lots of larger tracts of land, say 30-100 acres. In the last 5 years, the last 3 even more so just about every tract has a development going on it. I used to walk out the front door and had 90 acres that butts up to Falls to hunt on, now its all $600K+ houses. Even the smaller 30 acres tracts are developed. If it'll perk its being built on. Not sure if it'll slow down or not but we're getting squished more every day and 540 which used to be a great way to get around is becoming a parking lot. Something has to give!

NCDoberman

Ten Pointer
Worse than Boston?

I've never seen anything in Wake County that could match Boston for worst traffic, and worst drivers, too!

Wake is bad, Boston is much worse. Atlanta is as bad as Boston and that's where Wake Co is heading.

They'll never top LA for worst traffic though. I've been in gridlock traffic in LA in the middle of the night on a Tuesday. It never ends.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I live just south of the Granville county line, when we moved out here there were still lots of larger tracts of land, say 30-100 acres. In the last 5 years, the last 3 even more so just about every tract has a development going on it. I used to walk out the front door and had 90 acres that butts up to Falls to hunt on, now its all $600K+ houses. Even the smaller 30 acres tracts are developed. If it'll perk its being built on. Not sure if it'll slow down or not but we're getting squished more every day and 540 which used to be a great way to get around is becoming a parking lot. Something has to give!
The building slowed down a little during this last reccession, but now it's going great guns again, and everyone wants to move here.

If you want "open space" in NC, Wake or its surrounding counties are NOT the places to settle.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have major developments going in chatham, wake, and new hanover. Other smaller ones in other places.....but those three counties we are working on megadevelopments.

nc rabbit hunter

I love my poor Sampson County!!!!! I travel to doctors in Wake and all ill say is those folks live some miserable lives chasing that dollar.

double

Twelve Pointer
Everyone Is different but I could not imagine a neighbor being able to see in my windows or here what goes in in my house. Im barely comfortable having neighbor that can see through the woods to my backyard.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Since I started this thread I feel compelled to post a closing note. Wake county was made up of the capitol, Raleigh, which was a major city for it's time in the area back in the late 60s. Wake county was made up of a number of quiet, special and individual small towns and communities, Rolesville, Wendell, Fuquay and a number of others. Around that same time Joni Mitchell penned The Yellow Taxi Cab in which she proclaimed, "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Maybe we should play that song again and see if anyone cares enough to listen this time.

Harpoon

WPTF radio was doing a segment on Wake County growth and all of the Change that is happening.

Also heard that Wake is one of just nine counties in the entire US that they use to predict the general election...interesting huh?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
WPTF radio was doing a segment on Wake County growth and all of the Change that is happening.

Also heard that Wake is one of just nine counties in the entire US that they use to predict the general election...interesting huh?

It's definitely diverse! Plenty of liberals, plenty of conservatives, lots of youth, lots of elderly. Hate to break it to nc rabbit hunter, but I'd bet ain't none of us miserable :mad:

Harpoon

Traffic in Raleigh is nothing compared to D.C. and LA.

Its heading in that direction though as more people move to Wake County, congestion on a smaller scale.

They dont even have 540 completed yet, so seems like they are behind the eight ball.

I also heard 100 was the new number for daily growth, not 64....not confirmed though.

x

Last edited: