Hey oldest school

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
image.jpg

I'm giving it a try :cool:
In Greenville sc right now and went by cabelas to look for ned rig stuff. Their selection was very limited but here's what I got. You've spoken very highly of it now I'm ready to give it a try! Be on keowee the next couple days you got any tips for the Ned rig? Haven't been catching much so far but haven't had the ned rig either lol

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
If you can get their finesse shadz then that should work on Keowee since it did on Jocassee for me. And get your hands on some Junebug colored TRD's too

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 51020

I'm giving it a try :cool:
In Greenville sc right now and went by cabelas to look for ned rig stuff. Their selection was very limited but here's what I got. You've spoken very highly of it now I'm ready to give it a try! Be on keowee the next couple days you got any tips for the Ned rig? Haven't been catching much so far but haven't had the ned rig either lol

i cant imagine a better lake than keowee to start your Ned Rig experience.
you can not throw a better dock bait. Those heads look a tad heavy just use some sidecutters and trim them. they will hit a skipped trd on the intial fall a bunch so be ready.

i assume there are a bunch still shallow so any shallow wood or isolated rocks will work well. cast and shake it to the bottom. wind a couple of times shake to the bottom.... so forth and so on, it's not a 20 ' deep deal though imo.

it is a near 100% bet to catch any bass that "shows itself", one that short struck a topwater or that you missed on a worm or such. If you see any fry guarders, or cruisers just get it near and hold on. :)

Dont mistake it for a small fish deal. double digit bass like snacks too. :)

There are you tube videos of a guy on table rock, a similiar lake. that one will help as will Ned's that are on you tube. He explains his retrieves.

It is also death on rip rap and seawalls, just so you know.

Good Luck. Cabela's did you a favor by forcing you to focus on catching them versus searching for a special color.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Use what you have on line but i use straight 10lb nanofil. it'll straighten the hooks on the gopher heads i use and it just casts so well that i stay with it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
haywood hunter;

bass boat central web site on the tips and techniques forum has several ned rig threads.

one cat says he caught 125 on his first trip. you may beat that. spots really like this thing.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I can attest to the dock pattern, I just didn't have any to fish on Jocassee. I'll be using it heavily this weekend in a kayak tourney on Norman. You'll have good luck with that green pumpkin, I just seem to have a better catch ratio going on pbj and junebug on the trd's but any color will work. On Wylie in April it was a TRD in the Deal color. Mountain Island has been Junebug mainly. Norman I'll be throwing a finesse shad in green pumpkin to imitate bluegills

Last edited:

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Must be doing something wrong lol. Caught two dinks yesterday evening and fished a couple hours this morning without a strike. Fished docks, riprap, points and brush. Guy at the marina yesterday said that in the last two evening tournaments he's fished he's caught one fish total and hardly any in March or April. Idk what the deal is if it's me or what. We did find some fish schooled 20-40 feet deep but couldn't get a strike on lizards. This morning I saw a fish cruising up shallow and put my ned rig all around him he didn't even bat an eye at it. Don't know what I'm doing wrong

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Quit wasting your money and buy a tube of crickets...J/K. Seriously I did hook a nice bass today in my pond on a cricket. I caught one last year about the same time on a cricket. The one today I had no chance at to land.....too much grass in the pond. I walked it down the bank about 30-40 yards and seen a weed go down..it was more than my 10 lb test line to handle. Broke me off but awesome battle while it lasted. Blows my mind because I spend a mint on bass tackle...and the old faithful cricket still produces better for me.