Hoppes 9, Great Oil

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
So great.

How Great?

This is a 79ish year old Ford Windshield (most likely 1937-1939 original part) opening mechanism that sat in the elements with no glass cover for many years. It came to me rusted completely stiff. A day sitting with Hoppes 9 Gun Oil on all of the joints and mechanisms....

And all the joints are now free and pivot nearly like new. No heat required. The mechanism moves through its full range of motion and gets smoother with each cycle.

Very happy. Should make an early Found On Road Dead restorer very happy here shortly.....

eopOWfj.jpg

75VtJIX.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Oil soak all day and very gentle heat and the broken mounting bolts came out without too much fight.

Cleaned up, inspected and ready for service....with some Hoppes 9 oil to tide it over.

78G0iuF.jpg

0BJ9TY4.jpg

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
To go with that, im a mechanic so always dealin with the rusty and siezed.... A 50/50 mix of marvel mystery oil and mercon lv atf with some acetone thrown in makes for the best penetrating oil ive ever tried. Ive freed up a old allis chalmers c engine that was rusted stuck with it. PB blaster aint got nothin on that mix. But i do agree, hoppes oil and solvents are all ill use on my guns. Great products

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I will try some. Love to sniff the bottle of Marvel....a good old work shop kind of smell, back when the shops still had things that smelled wonderful like 3in1 oil and sulfated gear lubes and that really good goopy white hand cleaner that hung on the huge white metal dispenser on the wall.....ah, those were the days!

Last edited:

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Best han cleaner ive found is mule head brand. Kinda like gojo on crack. & Bob the longer you let that mix soak the better it does. Its freed up alot of John Deere 2 cylinders. And i love that old shop smell. People complain i always smell like diesel fuel and oil etc etc.... Bad thing is i the shop im turnin wrench for now is right across the road from a smithfields plant. Sometimes it smells like bacon.... Most of the time itll make ya gag

Last edited:

CatDaddy3000

Thanks for the idea. When metal detecting, I always find things I want to restore. I will give it a try.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Hoppes should market a men's cologne in my opinion. One of the earliest smells in my memory was of my Pap cleaning his gun with Hoppes after a day of hunting, predated only by the smell of the outhouse.