My chainsaw went swimming

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
Sunday, I was clearing a boat path through a fresh watercreek. Long story short, the saw went swimming. I lost the bar & chain, but was able to retrieve the head.
I lack basic mechanical skills, lol, & sometimes common sense, ha.
What should I do besides change/ blow out the filter, change the plug etc?
Advice appreciated.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Pull plug spray with oil
drain fuel, oil and remove the carbon screen or mufler dry in sun.

set upside down and on the sides so everything dries out.

your oil and fuel could be ok but no reason to chance it.

fill with oil, fuel, pull with no plug and it will push fuel into and out of the plug hole. Do it several times and hold upside down to let any extra out and dry the cylinder out.

Replace the plug, muf, air cleaner and see if it fires up.
Make sure it has dried out and no.water comes from any area when you shake it or set it out to dry.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Drain all fluids, blow them out well with compressed air and make sure they are dry. Spray the cyl down good with a good lubricating oil. Let it sit a day in the sun to make sure it is completely dry and give the electronic components time to dry out, and of course replace bar and chain and chain. Replace with proper fluids and start it up.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question. How did you lose the bar and chain? I would have to assume you had it apart just prior to it taking a dip....

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
why were you even back in that hole after talking about all the snakes that you saw. were you trying to kill the snakes with the chain saw?

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
why were you even back in that hole after talking about all the snakes that you saw. were you trying to kill the snakes with the chain saw?

Trying to access the crappie honey hole! After I lost the saw, we got on them good!
To heck with snakes :D

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the responses. I tore it down best I could this morning and it's in the sun, drying. It was running when it went in. Any other pointers for a running chainsaw that decides to go swimming?

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
Question. How did you lose the bar and chain? I would have to assume you had it apart just prior to it taking a dip....

I was sawing a downed tree in a creek. The blade locked, and before I could pull it out, the saw (running) went underwater with the tree. It was a disaster...
I retrieved the bar, but it is bent as heck. Chain is at the bottom of the creek.

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not preaching here, but if you always carry a wedge in your hip pocket, and use it after you start the cut, that won't ever happen again. Good luck!!

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have to ask, is that a 8, 10, or 12 pound wedge that you always carry in your pocket? I don't have enough :donk:donk:donk to keep my pants up to start with, much less trying to carry a wedge with me all the time.:cool::p

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have to ask, is that a 8, 10, or 12 pound wedge that you always carry in your pocket? I don't have enough :donk:donk:donk to keep my pants up to start with, much less trying to carry a wedge with me all the time.:cool::p
I don't know, maybe 3 or 4 oz. They are plastic (so as not to harm the saw teeth), usually orange, and sell at the hardware store for a couple dollars. I bet your pants could hold up one of those.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know, maybe 3 or 4 oz. They are plastic (so as not to harm the saw teeth), usually orange, and sell at the hardware store for a couple dollars. I bet your pants could hold up one of those.

Yep, if you don't have an orange plastic wedge or or half dozen you don't use a chainsaw much! They come in handy.

<>< Fish

JD1107

I'm more interested in this crappie hole my friend! I'll bring the minnows!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Dad taught me to always tie, at least with small nylon cord, ANYTHING you don't want to lose should the boat capsize.....guns, saws, tackle boxes, duffle bags, etc.
Even tho Ive never capsized, I sure have had the same thing happen to me as you, cept I was able to pull my gear back outa the water.
Pretty soon you have cords with quick snaps for fast/easy attaching and detaching tied to several spots in the boat.

Hope this helps you avoid this in the future.