Dogtra IQ Plus Collar got waterlogged

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dog jumped in the pool while we were on vacation and the waterproof unit got water in it. I wasn't thinking about the warranty and opened it up to try and dry it out. I probably just voided my warranty. Anyone have any problems with their e-collars getting ruined by water. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was not working till the next day so the pool water had caused oxidation of the internal components. We'll see what the company says. My dog has gotten to the point where he is great off leash but if likes to pull when on the leash and other dogs come around. I got a prong collar which is effective until I get a replacement or buy a new unit. very upset right now.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Looking at the Dogtra website, that collar is supposed to be waterproof. I'd send it back to Dogtra.

Dogtra is supposed to have good stuff. I have a Garmin/Tritronics that I've been happy with too.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looking at the Dogtra website, that collar is supposed to be waterproof. I'd send it back to Dogtra.

Dogtra is supposed to have good stuff. I have a Garmin/Tritronics that I've been happy with too.
I'm gonna try it. From what I've been told since I opened it up that supposedly voids the warrant. I sticker or something would have been nice to let me know that. Since the battery is a LIPO that is probably the only thing that is damaged. I may be able to just get a new one from them.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I had ran TriTronics for over 30 years, I have a Garmin which is tracking and training all in one now. I tried a Dogtra one time as as an additional lightweight trainer for pups about 10 years ago and it failed miserably but it wasn't water related.

When Garmin first came out with GPS tracking collars about 10 years ago maybe slightly longer it is hard for me to remember, anyway they were the DC-20's. My dog drowned 8 of them in a year. But they stood behind them. I will say that was the nearest nothing to put on a dog that there was. But the DC-30 they replaced them with many hunters are still running them. I have never had a water related failure with a TriTronics product. But when Garmin came out with an all in one unit where I didn't have to run two collars it was a no brainer for me to go to that. I do have a TriTronics unit that is older that I use for yard work that has been treated terribly over the years that has never let me down.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I bet Dogtra will make good on it. I've had a Dogtra collar for a few years and never had any issues....of course things can vary.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Dogtra makes high quality stuff. It's top notch. There are always units that fail for whatever reason, regardless of the manufacturer.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dogtra makes high quality stuff. It's top notch. There are always units that fail for whatever reason, regardless of the manufacturer.

That's what I am hoping. I am sending it off today. The waterproofing was a tiny o-ring. Didn't look beefy enough to survive being dunked.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They took care of me and let me trade up to the ARC collar. 3/4mil range and slim profile so it doesn't look like a e-collar.

straightline

Ten Pointer
That's what I am hoping. I am sending it off today. The waterproofing was a tiny o-ring. Didn't look beefy enough to survive being dunked.

A few days old but I've got a contact at Dogtra who heads up their sporting dog program. Let me know if you can't get it resolved.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A few days old but I've got a contact at Dogtra who heads up their sporting dog program. Let me know if you can't get it resolved.

Thanks but I am all good now! I had the IQ Plus and the waterproofing seemed to be a bit lacking when I took it apart to dry it out. Not sure why it leaked but the oring was a bit lacking and didn't seem to be lubed. I always thought they performed better if lubed before sealing them. They stood by their product and all is well.