Topwater stripers...... in the dark!!!!

BigStrutter

Twelve Pointer
One thing that makes up for turkey season ending is the shad spawn this time of year, and the striper bite that goes along with it!! There's really nothing that compares to a 5 to 8 lb. striper blowing up on your topwater bait in complete darkness. The misses will outnumber the catches but man it's a rush. Hopefully I'll get in a few more trips before it's over.
c0ba914a9c693bf174b9f18b1aecbe54.jpg

cb47688fe16c4ab67356379c9e3d7a37.jpg

8 lbs. on the nose
14c5a6dc7c0f0edd03e33959bb07ff60.jpg

Ned

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BigStrutter

Twelve Pointer
Yep, Kerr lake.... I do believe it's at it's peak right now. Dark nights, water temps just right and so many shad on some points it sounds like a hot tub rolling.

And it does sound like someone dropped a bowling ball or big rock in the water when they hit.

Ned

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You need to give it a try. Hard to beat for bass,striper and crappie! Have caught a few decent size walleye there too, but most will tell you they aren't any there

can you catch the walleye "on purpose" or is it just a by product as you catch other stuff.

we caught them in gaston decades ago but never in buggs island.

that is the one fish i would catch just to eat. :)

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Oldest........ have caught a couple dozen over the years and put a couple people on their first walleye. Some have been "by product" of deep cranking for bass but there is one hump that has a few every year around the first of July, They seem to only be there for about two weeks and then disappear. They are 3-4 lb and very good eating!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Oldest........ have caught a couple dozen over the years and put a couple people on their first walleye. Some have been "by product" of deep cranking for bass but there is one hump that has a few every year around the first of July, They seem to only be there for about two weeks and then disappear. They are 3-4 lb and very good eating!

hope you get them this year if you try.

"very good eating" is quite the understatement. they are delicious.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
All I am aware of are walleye. Have saw many things there though. Have caught quite a few smallmouth in the rivers in the extreme upper end, but have saw 2 in tournaments that came from nutbush-satterwhite area that were around 3 lb. again they aren't supposed to be there. Have saw other fish that I think were released there in the winter because they shouldn't be there either. Again you spend the hours that I have on the water there and you will see things that most will say is not so and it certainly is not common. When we first started catching drum there on crankbaits many people doubted that too. Now its is almost common if you fish there alot

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
big strutter-
try a whopper plopper 130 in loon color on these. If you're still going.

If it doesnt work for you i'll take the bait off your hands.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
A Sammy with a front runner about 18 inches up the line will get them stirred up too! Maybe even get you a few doubles.......hang on! Along with double fluke rig

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
A Sammy with a front runner about 18 inches up the line will get them stirred up too! Maybe even get you a few doubles.......hang on! Along with double fluke rig

i have a friend that won a bass tournament on buggs once on TWO casts using a spook with a front runner.

Tripled (two on spook, one on front runner) then doubled. Five in two casts.

That would be a mess with the stripers...in the dark.

Go for it Big Strutter!

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Won a team event there once like that, I doubled, my partner doubled and we put 4 fish in the net together. I picked up another rod with the donkey rig flukes and doubled again. Those first fish were the biggest we caught all day. Good times!!!!!