For those asking what a titty beam was...

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
69ffeba1a4067e453506bd81776c7a7c.jpg

Figured show y'all an example [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gubbermint bream is what we called them, they used to stock ponds with them for cheap or free. Delicious fillets on that feller.

wasmeneh

Button Buck
Yeah I recall"government" bream as a boy growing up and that was almost 60 years ago.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CatDaddy3000

I try to catch all the titty's I can. Nothing like have a mouth full of titty's! :rolleyes:

CatDaddy3000

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do usually find the beaver when I get ahold to some titty bream. :cool:

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
If you ever get the chance to fish Lake Okeechobee during the April or May full moon you will have a boat full of these. The bream fishing there is unreal when they move in to bed.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Gubbermint bream is what we called them, they used to stock ponds with them for cheap or free. Delicious fillets on that feller.

My grandfather I fished with many times called what you are calling gubbermint bream Army bream. Seems they were a lighter color than the one in the pic. When the bluegills were large with copper, he called them copperheads.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
We also called them bronze backs and line whistlers. Used to fish the blackwater rivers in early and late low light with a short (10') cane pole and a white popping bug. Worked it like a fly rod and where you couldn't flip it we'd get the bug by the hook, pull it back and shoot it into the hard to reach places. Does anyone use this method anymore, or am I divulging a long held family secret?

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We also called them bronze backs and line whistlers. Used to fish the blackwater rivers in early and late low light with a short (10') cane pole and a white popping bug. Worked it like a fly rod and where you couldn't flip it we'd get the bug by the hook, pull it back and shoot it into the hard to reach places. Does anyone use this method anymore, or am I divulging a long held family secret?

I have "slingshot" a bug or bait since my grandpa taught me. All of my kids and grandkids are proficient at it :).

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

i think your family secret is now all the rage: :)

http://www.tenkarausa.com/

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I have "slingshot" a bug or bait since my grandpa taught me. All of my kids and grandkids are proficient at it :).

Yep, learned it over 60 years ago and loved that kind of fishing if the guy paddling the boat knew what he was doing and where to position and hold you to get the best shot at those deep and shady holes. We also made up our own spinning baits with a Colorado blade on a short shank, foam spider on the end and lead bb shot crimped ahead for weight. Using the popper you never knew what you might catch, and a 5-6 lb bass on that short pole in a narrow river with all manner of submerged treetops and cypress roots could be quite a challenge.

Now I'll throw this out and see if anyone has ever heard of or used a technique called "jigger fishing". That used to be very popular in the old days too and not too many people could master it; it took a special pole and technique to work well.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I still use my jigger pole from time to time when I fish in the lumber River. I use homemade jigs and Devils horses.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I still use my jigger pole from time to time when I fish in the lumber River. I use homemade jigs and Devils horses.

That's where I grew up, there and in the Raft Swamp, and I sure miss fishing there. My Grandpap made Lumber River boats all his life and I'm fortunate to have the last one he made but I need to strip about 7 coats of paint off it, epoxy seal it and repaint before putting it back in the water. My Dad was arguably the best paddler in Robeson County but he kept me in the front of the boat and so I never got as good as he was but I do pretty well too. Since you're at St. Pauls do you ever fish the Great Marsh? I was just looking on a realty site at a house for sale out on East Great Marsh Church Rd., but I'd have to hog tie my wife to get her to move anywhere but near the coast.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I used to fish it a bunch but there is so many trees in it now it's a pain to navigate. I mainly stick to either cape fear or the lumber these days.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I used to fish it a bunch but there is so many trees in it now it's a pain to navigate. I mainly stick to either cape fear or the lumber these days.

Yeah, the Raft Swamp hasn't been cleaned out in donkey's years, but when you could fish it there was a ton of good bream and red breast in it.